Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
522 Posts
Here is the monitor, I mounted it where the rear view mirror was, its also hooked up to side and front cameras all cam be recorded to usb dvr device in AVI format. Ill post some pics of the cameras later since its raining now. Also the cameras have night vison IR LEDs.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,559 Posts
I like the idea......... But.......

:undecided isnt it illegal not to have an actual rear view mirror with the exception of commercial hi-cube vans? Maybe an officer can chime in on this.

Just a thought :m2:

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,552 Posts
yeah you cannot have a monitor infront of the b-pillar, is what i thought. thats why you have to have the dvd funcion grounded to your ebrake on a double din HU.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,531 Posts
Here is the monitor, I mounted it where the rear view mirror was, its also hooked up to side and front cameras all cam be recorded to usb dvr device in AVI format. Ill post some pics of the cameras later since its raining now. Also the cameras have night vison IR LEDs.
Man I've been wanting to do this so bad. After my rearview fell off I figured it was worthless trying to put it back. Can you show how you mounted it? Did you remove the front compartment attached to the headliner? What camera did you use that has night vision?

Thanks

·
Banned
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah you cannot have a monitor infront of the b-pillar, is what i thought. thats why you have to have the dvd funcion grounded to your ebrake on a double din HU.

It is illegal in most states to have a monitor in view of the driver with the exception of a GPS system and rear view monitor when the vehicle is in the reverse gear, or it is in park

Mine is set to come on only in reverse, the monitor has a remote on wire run to the reverse lights, It will also come on with a switch if I am in park. That way I can play a movie from a dvd player going into the camera.

As far as a requirement to have a actual rear view mirror, most states only require you to have side or driver side mirror.

·
Banned
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Man I've been wanting to do this so bad. After my rearview fell off I figured it was worthless trying to put it back. Can you show how you mounted it? Did you remove the front compartment attached to the headliner? What camera did you use that has night vision?

Thanks

I took a pair of vice grips and clamped it on the silver part connecting to the mirror it self, then screwed it out.

The monitor has a removable metal bracket that I JB welded to the rear view mirror "post". then just mounted the post to the glass just as you would the mirror itself.

I got the cameras at fry's electronics for about 59 or 49 bucks a pop. The night vision is kind of grainy. At least I wont be running over any kids. lol:laugh:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
6,568 Posts
ive been wanting to do this myself and attach the cameras to the roof rack(if i ever get it built) show us the cams and everything when u get a chance..

·
Banned
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
888 Posts
LOL i have three.

Ive been wanting to do something like this for awhile. I seen a car that had it but had a GPS on it, with a small screen for the rear view. Looks pretty sweet though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts