Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My first post on a new forum, however i am not a stranger to forums nor search functions so BEFORE the flaming begins, I HAVE SEARCHED! :)

I bought a Pioneer AVH-P3200BT headunit which had touchscreen, DVD, etc. Ive only owned the truck for about 2 months so I don't know ALOT about what I have as far as OEM components. I know the truck has Onstar but I don't subscribe to it so I assume its now useless. I don't think it has the Bose system although it seems there is an amp under the passenger seat. With that being said, I want to do the installation of the radio today and I do not know which stereo adapter harness I need. I do NOT want to lose any functions of the car, including the DOOR CHIME and the STEERING WHEEL CONTROLS and the RES (rear entertainment system). I want to maintain EVERYTHING if possible.

Metra - 70-2003 (need to splice and I lose OEM functions)
GMRC-01 (seems to keep everything, does this include steering wheel controls?)
LC-GRMC-01 (cheaper version, saves $20, I don't care about saving $20)
GMOS-01 (says for non-amp'd vehicles so what about amp'd vehicles?)
Scosche GM09SR (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9904_Scosche-GM09SR-GM09SRB.html)
Scosche DCGMOS2B11B (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_3776_Scosche-DCGMOS2B11B.html)

Do I also need an antenna adapter? I saw 2 that are look the same but both are listed for the truck.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_12040GM20/Antenna-Adapter.html?tp=1083
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_12040GM10/Antenna-Adapter.html?tp=1083

Lastly, if I have a BOSE system, do I need anything different or is that irrelevant to all this?

PS: Anyone know the remote control model # for the 02 Trailblazer RES? Apparently the remotes changed in 03 and dont work for pre-03 models. Thanks!

·
Banned
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
2,006 Posts
In every radio I've had in my SS I've needed a attenna adaptor..

As for the gmos-01, you are correct, it retains your chimes, and onstar functionality, but its not for vehicles with BOSE.. you can check your passanger rear cargo panel under the 3rd permanant window and if you have BOSE, you will see your amp there, and there is a code in your glove box (which I'm not sure of) that dictates if you have BOSE...

The GMOS-04 is for amped vehicles and retains onstar and chimes.. and as for your steering wheel controls, you do need another adaptor for that..I'm uncertain of which one as I don't have that in mine.. and I don't know about your rear entertanment system..

Hope I helped a little bit..:tiphat

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,289 Posts
Welcome :tiphat

There's another way of checking to see if you have BOSE you will have speakers in the dash. Also the BOSE RPO code is UQA (I believe) which will be in you glove box.

Also I'm not sure about the other adapters but the Gmos-01 doesn't work with the steering will you will need a separate module for that. PAC SWI-PS or PAC SWI-RC both for Pioneer

If you order from Crutchfield they include the antenna with your purchase I believe.

If you do have BOSE you will need the GMOS-04 adapter like Boricua SS said. But you can do away with BOSE all together and rerun the wire to all of your doors or you can trace the speaker wire from the old HU to the amp then from the amp to each door and splice them together. Again thats if you have BOSE

·
Registered
2005 buick rainier
1,012 Posts
Just as a side note, there are lots of different setup options even with Bose. For example, you can use the GMOS-01 with Bose if you're using either the headunit's integrated amp or an aftermarket amp. The difference (IIRC...it's been a while) is that the -01 outputs sound from the headunit's integrated amp, whereas the -04 outputs an RCA pre-amp signal. With my setup, since I was using the preamp outputs from the headunit anyway, all I needed from the interface cable was the power/ground connections.

Also, the chimes sound like crap with the GMOS boxes, so I turned them off anyway.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! Im gonna order from Sonixelectronics.com since they are a little cheaper than crutchfield and extremely helpful when I talked to them earlier.

I'm gonna go with the antenna adapter + GMOS-04 (since I have BOSE and Onstar) and continue using my factory amp. I found the pioneer module for steering wheel controls as well, so that was helpful.

Lastly, the only thing that is really bothering me is going to be maintaining the RES. I guess it might act completely independent of the OEM HU since it has its own remote, own IR headphones and DVD player... HMMM

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will do! I wont be doing the install myself but Ill have finished product pics. So after talking with the rep from sonicelectronix, here are the parts I am getting (while risking the RES not working :/ )

GEX-P20HD - HD Radio Tuner
CD-R55 - Remote Control
AVIC-U220 - Navigation adapter
CD-IU50V - Ipod cable
Scosche MDA1B - antenna adapter
GM-K422 - dash kit (he said it says this is required) - see image below
Scosche DCGMOS2B11B - wire harness for Onstar & BOSE
PAC SWI-PS - steering wheel controls

roughly $600 on all accessories but my head unit with have EVERYTHING I could want =) (And no, I don't want satellite radio) LOL

Does it seem like its wrong? I know it fits for GM double-din but the plastic down the middle, the rep says to just cut out since its a double-din radio and not a single din w/ pocket. Does that make sense to anyone?

·
Banned
2,006 Posts
Your not going to need that front piece at all, at least for all my DD HU I didn't.. all you need are those two side pieces and then just use the beauty ring that came with your radio..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so we are running into a problem during the installation... can anyone help?

all wires are connected, harnesses plugged in, etc. but for whatever reason, we have almost NO SOUND. The volume has to be at 32/40 to even begin hearing anything and then at 40/40 u can actually hear the radio.

any ideas?

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
6 Posts
How did it come out? I am about to install an Avic-x930bt in an 08 Envoy and am worried about losing the rear entertainment. If it will still play through wireless headsets I will be ok with that. Let me know if it works in yours.

·
Banned
2,006 Posts
so we are running into a problem during the installation... can anyone help?

all wires are connected, harnesses plugged in, etc. but for whatever reason, we have almost NO SOUND. The volume has to be at 32/40 to even begin hearing anything and then at 40/40 u can actually hear the radio.

any ideas?
i would double check first to make sure the connections are connected to there respective wires.. then look for a volume control on your actual wire harness (the Scosche one) to see if you can adjust the levels.. i know on the GMOS-04's, there is a volume control for both the RAP's (your door chimes) and volume from the amp...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The sound issue was because I do NOT have Bose so I had to change the adapter out to the GMOS-10 + chime module. It works great now!

as for the question about the RES working... it does, the front radio didn't effect the function of the RES at all.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
6 Posts
The sound issue was because I do NOT have Bose so I had to change the adapter out to the GMOS-10 + chime module. It works great now!

as for the question about the RES working... it does, the front radio didn't effect the function of the RES at all.

Awesome. Thanks!

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali
18 Posts
since it was non bose, u just spent a whole lot of money for no reason.......metra 70-2003 would have done the same thing ( minus door chimes and on star) yes u would have had a dead ignition wire in the harness because of the lack of data, but the harness comes with a 4 foot ignition wire with a fuse tap that you can connect to a an ign fuse very easily..... no cuting nor splicing and you could have saved your money and had it professionally installed or bought an axxess aswc to retain your factory steering wheel controls if you have them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
since it was non bose, u just spent a whole lot of money for no reason.......metra 70-2003 would have done the same thing ( minus door chimes and on star) yes u would have had a dead ignition wire in the harness because of the lack of data, but the harness comes with a 4 foot ignition wire with a fuse tap that you can connect to a an ign fuse very easily..... no cuting nor splicing and you could have saved your money and had it professionally installed or bought an axxess aswc to retain your factory steering wheel controls if you have them.
I wanted the On-star and the door chime so not wasted money. I also have the PAC SWC as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts