Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I purchased this truck with an aftermarket Chrome Grille. I painted it Black Last Summer... it didn't make it through the winter. The paint peeled off! So I decided to try a different look... Polished aluminum & Flat black. What do you think? Can't wait to see what it looks like with my wheels...

·
Banned
2007 chevy
4,644 Posts
care to share with the class and tell us where u bought it?

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_ls
468 Posts
:iagree: Where did you purchase it or how did you make it look like that? Def. looks way better than stock!

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,113 Posts
looks great :yes:

:iagree: tell me! tell me!

·
Banned
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
522 Posts
I like it, I agree, tell us how you did it. I want to do something different than just matching the body paint, This may be it.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
705 Posts
Looks great. I'll go ahead and add my name to the inquiring minds that want to know how you did it or where you got it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Sorry guys/gals, I haven't been on in a while. My Grille is an aftermarket cheep one piece. (I bought the vehicle that way) It comes chrome... but I didn't like the look. The factory two piece should get the same effect.

Here's what I did: I should have taken pics... sorry!

1. Clean thoroughly, then sand the entire grill lightly with 240 Grit paper.

2. Use a tack cloth to remove the dust, a compressor with blow gun would work too.

3. Use the 240 Grit to create the stainless pattern. Lightly in one smooth motion go back an forth. Creating the grain (The chrome is a thin layer attached to the plastic so do not be too aggressive.)

4. Using Blue masking tape, I taped off the areas I wanted to keep "Stainless"

5. Paint

I then re-installed the grille and took the pics.

I will most likely be coating it with a clear soon to protect it... I just got too excited to wait!

I hope that helps, again sorry for the delayed response.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
266 Posts
Sorry guys/gals, I haven't been on in a while. My Grille is an aftermarket cheep one piece. (I bought the vehicle that way) It comes chrome... but I didn't like the look. The factory two piece should get the same effect.

Here's what I did: I should have taken pics... sorry!

1. Clean thoroughly, then sand the entire grill lightly with 240 Grit paper.

2. Use a tack cloth to remove the dust, a compressor with blow gun would work too.

3. Use the 240 Grit to create the stainless pattern. Lightly in one smooth motion go back an forth. Creating the grain (The chrome is a thin layer attached to the plastic so do not be too aggressive.)

4. Using Blue masking tape, I taped off the areas I wanted to keep "Stainless"

5. Paint

I then re-installed the grille and took the pics.

I will most likely be coating it with a clear soon to protect it... I just got too excited to wait!

I hope that helps, again sorry for the delayed response.
im confused with the masking off. i wanted to do this to my bowtie on my ss grille but couldnt think how.so u just scratched it with 240 and then put silver on it or what??

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
It was chrome one piece to begin with. Factory is two pieces. As far as what I did, I just scuffed it with the 240 creating a grain pattern simular to Stainless or Brushed Aluminum.

On your emblem; you could do a simular finish I've seen.

Prep it for paint, paint with Chrome Paint, (don't buy the cheep stuff) when completely dry use a fine grit like 240 to etch the finish, stay consistent with the pattern, cover with a couple coats of clear and you should be all set.

Let me know how it works :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts