Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Well i took off my front bumper cover and virtually eliminated my tires rubbing. I kind of like the look esp now that i painted everything black. Pics are before paint will add a new one soon.

After removal and looking at my truck and my buddy's new JK, we came up with an idea of using a front bumper like his. It appears with a few mods it may go over the metal factory bumper and has some contour to it so it will somewhat flow with the lines. He is working on getting me one from his contacts for 25 buck to try. Anyone tried this?

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont like the loops and may remove them, but first i was gonna take some wire mesh and attach from the backside and paint it to sort of fill in the holes. It is cheap and is worth trying so i dont remove the bumper cover mounting points, if i put it back on.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Tires and wheels 285 75 16

I am adding another change in the look to see how I like the black wheel look. I had the rims sitting around, so I painted them up with some cheap paint for now and my buddy gave me his old 285-75-16 mt's and mounted them for free. Should give me enough tire for a little summer use to see how the look goes.

Plus a couple pics of my truck when we did some camping.

Will post pics when I get the rims on.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
203 Posts
its funny you post that up, i was looking into the same thing. i wanted to use a jeep prerunner bumper with a winch set up. i had a guy who has his own fabrication shop, and he said all he would really have to do with what i showed him was make up some brackets and weld them on the bumper since they are mainly flat anyway. at least thats what i was told because i said i wanted to try and use the same bumper mounts so i wouldn't have to weld it on.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
728 Posts
please dont weld a winch bracket onto the re. bumper(the black bumper) with out it reinforceing to Both sides of the frame for support, the bumper itself will pull out and break from the mounting bolts, or atleast have a damn good chance of doing so .... its not very thick and bends with only 170LBS of weight(not much but stand on it and you will see) just imagine 2 tons getting pulled by it .... just a reminder, but im sure you guys already knew this ...:bonk:

Blazin i was gonna try to do the H3 bumper as its almost the same and would fit with some new mounting holes... as you have the rims you can look into that to...lol

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
371 Posts
You guys are onto something:D This is the exact route I just took: http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=59126

I also wouldn't mount it to the reinforcement bar, that thing is junk. I'll get some better pics of my mounts during the daylight for any that are interested.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
203 Posts
i don't really have a liking to the h3 bumper for mine since my grille goes lower then my lights (06 lt front end) but i have thought about the jeep bumper for a while now. and teebes beat me to it. but i must say it looks great. makes me want to continue looking into it more and proceed to have a jeep bumper fitted.

:hail: teebes

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Finally got around to sticking my free tires on. Not much tread, but it let me see that the black rims are ok. I would not pay for them, but I will keep em around for offroad to keep my others nice.

My Zone Offroad body lift will be here Wednesday. Gonna give it a try for awhile and see how it works. Not sure I will fit in the garage anymore. It was close just pulling in to swap rims last night.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
21 Posts
What Do You Think?

I am a fan of running without the bumper cover.

I cut my bumper bar down, flat blacked the street scene grill and front, I mocked up some brackets for the OEM foglights. So let me know what you think.

I am making straighter brackets this weekend so they fit better.

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
374 Posts
I can dig it...:cool: Now come join us in the offroad clubhouse... Oh, and I like what you did with the trailblazer badge on the front grill... I may have to do that with mine.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
what do you think for a budget garage build...im all about rough and rugged, functuality, believe me this TB gets used
I like the bumper but not the fogs. cut the bumper and put em in there or ditch them for some offroad lights screwed to the bumper.

Grill badge is sweet. wish I had a badge to put on mine now.

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_ls
1 Posts
Commuting issues

Brilliant mod for rookie off roading. This is one of my favorite threads.

Are those 17 " wheels or are they smaller to fit those large tires?
Do or don't you think the bumper cover should be reinstalled for commuting?

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Those shiny ones were 17 w 265-70 silent armors. The blacks were 16x8 w 285 75 dayton mt. For commuting I left it off as I only went 5 miles, for long trips iwould go on sometimes. Then, the cover did go back on for awhile with lots of trimming and still goes on at times, but I went a little more extreme on the whole set up and am running 17x9 w 305-65 xtreme mt's and a whole different stinger bumper.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts