Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im new to this and have very little mechanical knowledge...... Im thinking of getting a STS turbo charger on my 2006 TBSS. Is that a good buy? Or should I go for a magnacharger?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
425 Posts
Coke vs Pepsi. Freddy vs Jason. Turbochargers vs Superchargers. The debate has raged since the model t. you ask the question witch is better, turbocharger or supercharger? to 2 people and you will get 3 answers. there really is no clear cut answer as to which method of forced induction is better. They both have advantages and disadvantages, and when it all comes down to it, either one will give you a considerable boost and power. The ultimate choice comes down to you and what best suits your driving style.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
What he said.

What is your goal buying the STS or Magnacharger? Are you looking for lots of HP or lots of TQ down low? Im looking for the latter so Ill go with a Magnacharger as it makes instant boost. Thats my plan, but its up to you and what you want to have your truck do in the end.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL

Both sounds great, but that will put a hole in the pocket. Im definitely in for the TQ but magnacharger is a bit more expensive. On the other hand, im skeptical about this STS.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
I havent actually seen a Magnacharger setup in person but I have seen both a Procharged TBSS with an LS3, vette intake manifold, and custom bracketry to have the accessory drive system work properly and a custom STS TBSS with a LS2 416ci, the works. Not sure what else both guys have in their trucks but the mods list is about a page and a half long. The Procharged one is making 630awhp while the STS one is 600awhp-ish at 10psi but is setup to run 16-18psi, just working the tuning kinks out.

If your main reason for going with the STS is cost, I wouldnt recommend choosing one system over another just for that. Its going to cost you probably 10k to get either system, a built trans (stock one will last less than 3 weeks tops, if you're lucky with FI), and tuning/install (unless you do it all yourself). 6k for kit, 3k for trans, plus 1k for misc stuff, FI isnt for the feint of heart. Its going to take me a long time to come up with 10k to Magnacharge my 08 SS, but Ill put a trans in it before to help lessen the sticker shock.

·
Registered
2007 chevy
30 Posts
I had a sts turbo rear mount kit on my 07 tbss. after installing it, I had nothing but issues from there on out. Eventually the Turbo's bearings went out and I had to remove the entire kit. You WILL have to replace your transmission after putting this kit on. Also you need a good tune. I burned up 2 transmissions before getting a stage 2 700r4 with a 2800 stall. Today...I spun a bearing. Now I need a new short block...

In short, the turbo is cool, its fast, but i hope your pockets are deep because its gonna start costing money. especially if you like to do WOT which you will, otherwise, why would you get a turbo?

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
hey is it possible/ worth it to put one of those sts turbos on a LS 4 liter?
This is a loaded question, yes it is physically possible. Can you make it run is the next question, and unless you have an 06-09 truck the answer is NO. The second you get above 1 Bar (14.7psi), the PCM throws error codes and goes into reduced power mode.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.