Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
61 - 80 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
208 Posts
Roggie,
Do you offer any bulk discounts on this black box?

We have a project just about out that is an extensive upgrade to the TBSS cooling system, including a bigger radiator.

Just wondering if you are on vacation as PM's are not being returned?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
287 Posts
Just curious if there were any updates on this project. Want to get Efans but don't want to buy fans if this isn't going to happen.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
286 Posts
I have read through I think all the threads on converting to an electrical fan, of course it does suck to read through 13 pages to come to the last page seeing "not sold anymore"

This thread isn't all that better, as in a lot of talk no links to anything but so far didn't end with not sold anymore.

From GUESS work and looking around I assume there is where the module is now.
http://avidperformance.net/products.html

Assuming I want to do nothing but get fans and install this I would want this kit?
If I bought the flex fans would I need this package or the previous one as it would come with the flexalite controller? just this package? PCM Communication Module?

Fan Control Package
The Fan Control Package includes both the PCM Communication Module, and the Flex-a-lite fan controller, along with all mounting hardware and wiring harnesses required for the installation of both units. This package is everything you'll need to control your fans, all you need to do is supply the fans!
PRICE: $159.50

FYI the INSTRUCTIONS link doesn't work.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,240 Posts
You can put this in the FWIW catagory. I bought one of the beta communicationns modules and after seeing how the terminals were crimped on and the fact the directions were not even close to my 07, I decided the best thing to do is not use it, but to use HPTuners to eliminate any codes. I have my doubts as to the quality of the components used and the assembly process if a simple procedure of installing weatherpack terminals correctly can't be done. There seems to be no more support or any updates on the module. My plan, hopefully this weekend, is to install a C6 Corvette fan. I have the brackets made and the controller I chose to use mounted and wired. I'm waiting to borrow the needed fan clutch tools and then I'll be set to go. Here's a picture of how the terminals were crimped on when I received the moule and a picture of the terminals after I replaced them and crimped and soldered them correctly. I am writing a how-to to install the C6 fan and after I'm satisfied that the Corvette fan does indeed keep the cooolant temps under control, I'll submit it toTV.com.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
286 Posts
Cheapest I can find the flex a lite 292 so far is on amazon $392 free s/h
I know ebay has one for cheaper but re-manufactured isn't something I am willing to risk my engine on.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...t_shr?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

Of course per usual of looking for parts for an Envoy there is a Conflict, they have the wrong picture and of course they say it wont work in an 02 envoy but and 02 trailblazer jsut fine! hahaa SIGH!

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
286 Posts
So whats the deal is there efans or what
There are a few efans to choose from but the concerns are if you dont get the flexilite which has a progressive spin up module that you should get this module to not max out your alternator everytime the other fans turn on.

Also your problem light is going to turn on as the speed of the clucth fan is monitored by the pcm.

You can either get just the module to trick the pcm or mod your pcm to ignore the error.
You can get the the flexalite module, or both from avid
http://avidperformance.net/products.html

I opted to just get a brand new flexalite fan and the avid module for a more secure option.
you can get ls1 lt1 fans from rock auto for like $180 or from a junkyard.
but as per above you will want the pcm module and the flexalite module, which still bring the price with $50 of just buying a new flexalite 292 from amazon and module from avid.

also to note, Roadie notes the efan options so far do not move enough air for towing/off roading.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Hey Everyone,

Forgive me for not updating this thread recently. I just took a new job and moved across the country, so I've been dealing with all of those "distractions".

I'm still offering this module to eliminate the CEL from turning on. The pics above of the terminals were from a beta module- there's a reason it was a "beta test module" ;) Send her back if you're really not using it and I'll give your money back to you- no reason for me to have your money if you're not using the box! (shoot me an email and we can work out the details)

The new modules are ready to go and I've been selling a handful of them so far. The instructions and more photographs will be up as soon as my web guy get's them posted.

I'm not able to check this website as often as I'd like, so if there are any questions or concerns, shoot me an email, that is how I respond the quickest.

Keep in mind, my website, at this point, is not intended to offer a complete E FAN solution. It's simply a website that I set up to help people solve the annoying and all too familiar problem of the CEL staying on after a modification is made to the vehicle.

Again, any questions or concerns, shoot me an email, I'd be happy to talk with you about it!

[email protected]

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
899 Posts
also to note, Roadie notes the efan options so far do not move enough air for towing/off roading.
Errrr, that was with teh pcmforless kit, this is completely different, last news i had, this kit had not been tested under "off road trips"

But i can say that it was tested 'bout 2 weeks on a nice 34 celcius day climbing a mountain hill going more or less 20mph with a 20 degree angle for about 40 minutes, cargo bay with about 700 pounds of dj equipment and stuck in traffic at times because an idiot of a lady can't drive stick for **** on a hill, the temps did rise to 105 celcius with a/c on... "original fan clutch engages at 103" mine are set to engage 60% at 103...

I don't know for rock climbing, but this has always been "my real life test area"

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
286 Posts
Errrr, that was with teh pcmforless kit, this is completely different, last news i had, this kit had not been tested under "off road trips"

But i can say that it was tested 'bout 2 weeks on a nice 34 celcius day climbing a mountain hill going more or less 20mph with a 20 degree angle for about 40 minutes, cargo bay with about 700 pounds of dj equipment and stuck in traffic at times because an idiot of a lady can't drive stick for **** on a hill, the temps did rise to 105 celcius with a/c on... "original fan clutch engages at 103" mine are set to engage 60% at 103...

I don't know for rock climbing, but this has always been "my real life test area"
Cool that sounds good to me! how do you set yours to turn on at this point?
I am assuming you are using the flexalite module, I read your setup awhile ago and have forgotten!

·
Registered
899 Posts
Something inetersting happen over the week-end that once and for all closed my questioning about the humid/dry air factor...

for the last two days here we had our hottest temps of the summer here, 34 38 celcius, not the hottest we can get but so far, now what we did get so far were above average humidity levels, and everytime we would get a humid day my temps were HIGHER than usual, well today i saw my first over 100celcius mark on m,y scanguauge ever since i changed my t-stat and water pump, at 100 celcius the flexalite module is set to engage to 80%,, anyhow where i am getting at is : it was said in previous posts that humid day should "HELP" in lowering the temps, well i guess my truck did'nt get the memo, because today was so sticky that women with white shirts were a nice view, my truck seemed lacking power, low torque and the heat was rising, normally on the highway, my water temp reads 91 celcius, today a steady 96, and when i was going uphill a steady 100, so i did a test when i got back home, at idle the temp was reading a steady 97 when normally it would read 94, i took my hot air gun, removed the cross bar and started blowing air through the condenser, imagine that, the temps dropped, back to 94, so my theory is, humid air is heavier to move so it should cool less, and unless i am missing something, my little test of today confirmed this....

please explain this one to me....

·
Banned
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
42 Posts
I have a question for anyone that knows how the avid pcm communication module is wired in. I want to keep my stock clutch fans but would like to unplug them for a run down the track, and not worry about the ses light coming on. Is this a plug and play deal or is there more permanent wiring involved. Thanks

·
Northwest Chapter
11,917 Posts
I have a question for anyone that knows how the avid pcm communication module is wired in. I want to keep my stock clutch fans but would like to unplug them for a run down the track, and not worry about the ses light coming on. Is this a plug and play deal or is there more permanent wiring involved. Thanks
Not for SS, only 02-05 I6s.

You cant simply unplug your fan clutch and not get codes, you could turn them off in a track tune but honestly there isnt a reason because you still have that 10lb mass on your engine. Removing the mass is what gives you the performance boost, no reason to just disconnect it, wont get any more power.

·
Banned
42 Posts
Not for SS, only 02-05 I6s.

You cant simply unplug your fan clutch and not get codes, you could turn them off in a track tune but honestly there isnt a reason because you still have that 10lb mass on your engine. Removing the mass is what gives you the performance boost, no reason to just disconnect it, wont get any more power.
I'm assuming your telling me this is not a plug in play for the SS?
I know the ses light will come on if the I unplug the fans. I don't have hptuners to turn the code off for the track, and don't want my tuner to have them permanently turned off in case of an actual problem. I do understand the fan is a 10 lb mass, but with the clutch fan unplugged, it spins freely, I have bravely worked my way to easily stopping the fan with my finger and can hold it. From what I understand, even when the ecm is not commanding the stock fan to come on, it maintains 20% activation..ie it still is engaged and having to spin that 10 lb mass. With the fan plugged in, I can't stop it from turning. I know, I sound like a ******* and you probably have a funny picture of me in your mind with me trying to stop a fan :weird:.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,917 Posts
I'm assuming your telling me this is not a plug in play for the SS?
I know the ses light will come on if the I unplug the fans. I don't have hptuners to turn the code off for the track, and don't want my tuner to have them permanently turned off in case of an actual problem. I do understand the fan is a 10 lb mass, but with the clutch fan unplugged, it spins freely, I have bravely worked my way to easily stopping the fan with my finger and can hold it. From what I understand, even when the ecm is not commanding the stock fan to come on, it maintains 20% activation..ie it still is engaged and having to spin that 10 lb mass. With the fan plugged in, I can't stop it from turning. I know, I sound like a ******* and you probably have a funny picture of me in your mind with me trying to stop a fan :weird:.
Honestly I have no idea if it will work with the SS. My question is why bother, but I see your point. Looking at my 08 SS stock tune there is 0% fan commanded until ECT hits the 210F cell so it should command about 3% PWM between 207-210F. If your truck is that hot you've got bigger issues, tuned its probably better to lower them but stock thats what they are. There is no reason the ECM is commanding the fan to be on unless your tuner has lowered the fan activation coolant temps (which I will proceed to do on my own SS so it makes sense). Are you tuned or stock?

No man, I definitely do NOT have your quote ******* image as I have stopped my I6 fan by hand many a time, havent had a reason to try it on the SS yet.

I know its not an immediate solution but once BlackBox Flashing is implemented in EFILive's V2 and AutoCal hardware you will be able to have your own handheld device for less money than buying HPT or EFILive V2 flat out that has a custom tune or 2 and your stock tune.

·
Banned
42 Posts
I'm no tuning expert, but the clutch fan operation was explained to me in the following way:

"In any case the fan will always drag at 20% lockup as this is the min lockup with the EV clutch. (80% max) Design limits of viscous fan clutch."

So if I just had a little black fooler box I could just plug in, eliminate fan drag for about a 1/4 mile and have no ses light, then plug the fan back in and go home.

61 - 80 of 99 Posts