Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
899 Posts
I have a flexlite black magic laying around from a previous project. It pulls 2800cfm. will this be surricient? I really want this setup and could afford the controller now if i could use this fan.
From my understanding that fan "COULD" be ok for normail day to day driving, no towing to pushing, just day to day, and then again if you were to be stuck in traffic on a hot day i don't know

What i can say is that ever since i changed my t-stat and water pump, my engine never creeped over 200, so my fan never turns on, i have them setup at low speed turn on 210, the origianl fan would turn on at 217

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
182 Posts
Thank you for the answer. I tow my pontoon and quads on the weekends pretty much every weekend in the summer so sounds like i will be searching for a different fan. :thumbsup:

what temp t stat did you use?

·
Registered
899 Posts
what temp t stat did you use?

The t-stat is the new revision from GM, compared to my stocker the new one has a larger diameter coil bound 3 times, and the core is a lot bigger, as opposed to teh stocker where the coil was of a smaller diameter and bound 5 times, also the core was a lot smaller, for the water pump, it's an aftermarket one, but the propeller has double the number of opening, and "apparently" uses less energy to turn, he showed me an original gm one and the aftermarket high performance one he sells, indeed the aftermarket did turn a lot easier when i used my hand

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
143 Posts
Hey guys just curious if anyone is testing and what fan setups are being used... just keeping track not trying to be a pain in the ass. :D

·
PCMForLess.com - Sponsor
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
877 Posts
I do have the time and inclination to test the kit, but given that I got burned (literally) with the PCMforless evaluation because of their inadequate testing, I'm just not able to do it if it costs me $500, even if the controller was no-charge. But PCMforless solicited for testers on the basis of who replied fastest, I think. Of course people are going to volunteer for free stuff - but the testing wasn't very rigorous, wasn't done using EFILive data capture, and wasn't done in stressful conditions - all of which contributed to the project's downfall. I'm experienced in new product launches, but efans depend so much on the combination of fan kit plus the controller that it's a real challenge to succeed. The vendor has to control both parts of the system, not just one side. I don't have a solution to that.

What other fan kits are being considered besides the flexalite 292?

I tell you I take offense to this comment. Not enough testing? Hows 3 local trailblazers who are all running our kits still to this day. Hows also at least 400 trailblazer ss's with 395+ hp 6.0 V8's and the same size and thickness radiator that the I6 runs. Literally the only difference between the two is the end-tanks. How is 3 of them scattered across the middle east including dubai kuwait and saudi with 5.3L or 6.0L engines.

I don't know what you have done to make your I6 truck not cool as well as all the trucks we have done but I assure you we have done significant testing on this truck with efans.

Now you might ask why do we not sell our kits anymore? It is not because they where not capable of cooling it was because we did not make the kits dummy proof enough. Mix that with complicated and maybe a touch poorly written instructions and you have a recipe for disaster with the general public. You would not believe the pictures people sent us and all the problems we went thru that would have been solved if the person just sat down and read the instruction.

remeber the fuse tap that was supposed to have been in the fuse box to get power for our module? We literally had someone send us a picture of that tap zip tied to the rest of the harness. Now really, its beyond me who would not know what a fuse tap is.. and never mind that.. the instructions did cover where to put it.

Also remeber the splice done near the PCM? We had another guy send us a picture of that wire cut and pulled out of the ECM harness. WHY? We sent a wire tap and we covered it in the instructions.

To ever is making the kit, good luck. You cannot literally make anything simple enough for the general public anymore.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
I don't know what you have done to make your I6 truck not cool as well as all the trucks we have done but I assure you we have done significant testing on this truck with efans.
I sent you data. I sent you observations. I posted my serious reservations with the LS1 fan assembly attached to the I6 radiator and your phrase was that it was "overkill for the application."

The controller was fine. I had no installation trouble.

As I said, the issue was with the LS1 fan having too few CFM, and the shroud not covering the whole radiator. I did experiments both with the stock tune and the one you made for me - no difference. As to "what I have done to make my I6 not cool as well as all the other trucks you've done" - that's classic "blame the victim" mode. I take offense to that as I'm an engineer, and the relevant mods to my truck were your tune (made no difference), a resonator delete, and a Magnaflow muffler. Paper air filter (clean) - no CAI.

I posted before, and I repeat it now: I don't think you had any testers running at 5-10 MPH ground speed, WOT, in 85-90 degree ambient. I was in 4LO, climbing hills that you just can't find in the paved world, and I would overheat in 5-10 minutes of those conditions.

But the fans were full on exactly when I thought they should have been full on. I have no issue with the controller. If you had a tester using my exact conditions, I would have loved to see if they were using an LS1 kit with any differences from mine.

But your testers were pavement folks, and I don't think many folks go through what I do in the desert. But I can't afford the risk of overheating when the factory equipment works just fine, and I have no need of a few extra short-term HP for drag racing. I wanted the efans to make it easy to turn them off for 20-24" river crossings, and I wasted a bunch of time and money chasing that tiny benefit for nothing. And I'm still left with an Ebay LS1 fan kit to dispose of.

I am very grateful about the courtesy you showed when I returned the controller, and I continue to recommend your tunes. No problem with that side of the business for me.

·
Registered
899 Posts

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
349 Posts
I tell you I take offense to this comment. Not enough testing? Hows 3 local trailblazers who are all running our kits still to this day. Hows also at least 400 trailblazer ss's with 395+ hp 6.0 V8's and the same size and thickness radiator that the I6 runs. Literally the only difference between the two is the end-tanks. How is 3 of them scattered across the middle east including dubai kuwait and saudi with 5.3L or 6.0L engines.

Now you might ask why do we not sell our kits anymore? It is not because they where not capable of cooling it was because we did not make the kits dummy proof enough. Mix that with complicated and maybe a touch poorly written instructions and you have a recipe for disaster with the general public. You would not believe the pictures people sent us and all the problems we went thru that would have been solved if the person just sat down and read the instruction.

remeber the fuse tap that was supposed to have been in the fuse box to get power for our module? We literally had someone send us a picture of that tap zip tied to the rest of the harness. Now really, its beyond me who would not know what a fuse tap is.. and never mind that.. the instructions did cover where to put it.

Also remeber the splice done near the PCM? We had another guy send us a picture of that wire cut and pulled out of the ECM harness. WHY? We sent a wire tap and we covered it in the instructions.

To ever is making the kit, good luck. You cannot literally make anything simple enough for the general public anymore.
So why stop selling them and short change yourself? You spend countless hours w/ it. If it was a working product, why not sell it?

If someone is too stupid to figure out how to tap a wire, they obviously shouldnt be trying to install a little more of an advanced mod (not just a buy a muffler and have a shop weld it on). Obviously, the problems you stated werent yours. I agree theres way too many people who are clueless but want something, but are also too cheap to pay. They seem to ruin it for the rest of us :(

Id still like to see a fankit out of someone, as I want one!

·
Registered
899 Posts
So why stop selling them and short change yourself? You spend countless hours w/ it. If it was a working product, why not sell it?

If someone is too stupid to figure out how to tap a wire, they obviously shouldnt be trying to install a little more of an advanced mod (not just a buy a muffler and have a shop weld it on). Obviously, the problems you stated werent yours. I agree theres way too many people who are clueless but want something, but are also too cheap to pay. They seem to ruin it for the rest of us :(

Id still like to see a fankit out of someone, as I want one!
Avid will come through, I sold him all of my schematics and knowledge, give him some time, but in the meantime yo can have a look at my setup

http://s219.photobucket.com/albums/cc318/pjaneiro0614/updated efan/?start=0

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
61 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
has any one worked with the hayden products on summit racings website.

http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...94924385+4294908216+4294907071+115+4294838842

the switch i like is this one.

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...907071+4294860934+4294908399+115&autoview=sku

i see the single 12" only puts out 800 cfm obviously you would use two, maybe the 14" would be better, should move closer to 2400 cfm.

what do you think.

That switch will work, but it has no a/c input, and will start your fan at 100%, wich kills your alt

·
Registered
899 Posts
without the installation manual, i can't say, but if it does include an a/c input, well the only issue i see is the 100% turn on,

you will still need the patch to get rid of the check engine light

·
Registered
32 Posts
Could some one PM me and let me know how to and what E Fan kit i would get i found a good 16" but it didnt come with a controller or nothing so if someone could just let me know the best way to go and how to that would be awesome im MECP so wiring isnt the issure just new to lookin for them

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
24 Posts
Im in the same boat....there are so many people on here listing that they have an efan on their tb but I cant seem to find one thats pretty much straight forward and affordable to use...any help would be useful to us new to the idea:confused:

·
Registered
899 Posts
Im in the same boat....there are so many people on here listing that they have an efan on their tb but I cant seem to find one thats pretty much straight forward and affordable to use...any help would be useful to us new to the idea:confused:
How more straight forward do you want it to be ?

get an ls1/lt1 fan

trim the edges so it sits flush

get the controller from flex-a-lite or a similar one that has variable speed and a/c input

buy the cel patch from avid suspensions, he's using my design that works flawlessly.

simpler than that and it's mouth feeding it

:bonk:

·
Registered
899 Posts
:hijacked
Found this fan controller while reading a Corvette forum. Look under the fan control tab.
http://www.dccontrol.com/0820.htm

Any one have experience with it?

Mark
I do,

they are WAY OVERPRICED, they do the exact same thing as the flex a lite one that should be used

they are good and i have nothing to say against them, just that they are overpriced...

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
24 Posts
Has anyone attempted to modify the PCMforless electric fan harness setup to replace the controller with the flex-a-lite model in the avid kit yet? I know avid sells it's own CEL patch, but it seems like the patch PCMforless came up with should work. I've never had an issue with overheating with the LS1 fan (no shroud trimming) and PCMforless e-fan kit but it definitely kills the alternator, especially in traffic. pjaneiro was onto something by using a controller that starts the fans at 60% as opposed to the 100% (one fan at a time) my current kit uses.

41 - 60 of 99 Posts