Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,
I've been on the forums for a couple years now, but I just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm Kyle Roggenkamp, owner of AVID Performance, and I'm the newest Vendor on Trailvoy.com!

I will be selling kits to convert Trailvoy's to electric fans. I'm a Trailvoy enthusiast just like everyone here, so I'm dedicated to making a RELIABLE system to convert these vehicles to an electric fan.

I'll be selling a couple of products online. First, I'll be selling a module that communicates with the PCM when electric fans are used. It essentially tells the PCM that the mechanical fan isn't there anymore, and that it shouldn't "freak out". This is the design that pjaneiro posted about here that keeps the CEL from turning on. I'll also have a fan controller available from Flex-a-lite.

This module is intended to be used with an aftermarket fan controller like the Flex-a-lite 33054 controller, and a set of electric fans. Some have used the LS1 and LT1 fans with exceptional results. Others who drive in more extreme conditions may want to use a high performance aftermarket set of fans.

Right now the module is in the testing stage, and I'm actually looking for a couple Beta testers, so if interested, send me a PM, and maybe we can work something out.

I've got a website and a forum section that will be up soon too, so keep an eye out for that as well!

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,373 Posts
Now there we go! Glad to have ya here and to finally, hopefully, be getting a e-fan kit back up for general sale. I would be a ready and willing tester cept I live in oregon and its about 40 degrees out all day right now.

Anyways, glad to meet ya!

·
Registered
899 Posts
Just wanted to let you guys know that this kit has been tested by me and numerous other fellows and it works. I sold all of my designs to him so he could get them to YOU my fellow TB'ers...

On another note, for those wanting that extra power fan wise, the flexalite 292 cannot be beat...They cover the whole radiator and sucks small rodents through the rad.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright I think I replied to everyone's PM's. The test units should be assembled and shipped early next week- still waiting on the cases.

So far we've got 3 guys testing, still looking for a few more!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
I will DEFINITELY make sure it gets the Roadie Seal of Approval!
Hmmmm. My problem was not with the PCMforless controller. It was with the airflow from the fan kit I bought off Ebay that they recommended. But given the demonstrated overheating I got, with good engineering data, the conclusion was obvious.

The factory EV fan, at 2000 or so fan RPM, using the factory shroud that covered the entire radiator, was pulling adequate cooling air and the LS1 fans with their smaller shroud wasn't. I was going to do more work to try sealing the edges of the LS1 shroud to prevent that sneak path for bypass air, but I concluded it wouldn't make enough of a difference to matter. The LS1 fans already pulled enough air through the radiator to suck paper very tightly to the front of the rad, but their CFM just wasn't up to it.

SO it's critical to match the fans and shroud to our exact radiator. If the flexalite 292 is that kit, then that's what I'd try next. Except I'm between jobs now, and living on savings, so the $500 price of the flexalite 292 is not an investment I'm able to make right now.

To duplicate my conditions of desert offroading, it should be easy if a tester has access to a heavy trailer (4000-5000 pounds) and some steep mountains with 5-6% grades. What was overheating me was 10-15 minutes of 80-100% throttle, 4LO range, 3-6 MPH ground speed (so there was little forced airflow - all the fan), in 85-90 degree ambient.

I need to sell the LS1 fan kit I bought for the PCMforless experiment, but I'm sorry I'm not in a position to invest in the flexalite 292 if I'm going to be stuck with it later. The biggest advantage for offroaders isn't the HP gain from efans, but the ability to turn the fan off for deep water crossings (>20"). Since those water crossings also mean you need to extend your vent tubes, and you're likely to take water in through your door sills, there are only a half dozen of us crazy enough to be in that market for pure functionality.

There are indeed offroaders who would invest in efans for the "gadget value" of them, and I used to be one of those folks. But not right now, and not for the foreseeable future.

If anybody could show good experimental data of the factory fan CFM versus flexalite 292, it would go a long way to convince me it would work. I didn't do that research for the LS1 kit, or insist that somebody else provide the data. I just trusted the vendor that the LS1 fans were "overkill" for the application, which turned out to be a claim made without data. As an old boss once said: "In God we trust ... all others bring data." :yes:

I do have the time and inclination to test the kit, but given that I got burned (literally) with the PCMforless evaluation because of their inadequate testing, I'm just not able to do it if it costs me $500, even if the controller was no-charge. But PCMforless solicited for testers on the basis of who replied fastest, I think. Of course people are going to volunteer for free stuff - but the testing wasn't very rigorous, wasn't done using EFILive data capture, and wasn't done in stressful conditions - all of which contributed to the project's downfall. I'm experienced in new product launches, but efans depend so much on the combination of fan kit plus the controller that it's a real challenge to succeed. The vendor has to control both parts of the system, not just one side. I don't have a solution to that.

What other fan kits are being considered besides the flexalite 292?

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,536 Posts
just want to confirm a question I have. Would this kit include the efans? Or is this kit only for the harness and controller?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
I just measured, and the 17.5" X 27.5" X 4" that flexalite specs the shroud at matches our radiator size. Can't say it bolts up though without somebody owning one.

The SS site which shall not be mentioned looked at the 292 in 2006, and somebody posted that it would NOT fit an SS. I don't know why. Then they all seemed to flock to the LS1 fans with the smaller shroud.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_sle
101 Posts
So would you NOT recommend the LS1 fans if I tow a 3500 lb boat sometimes? But that sometimes may be 200 - 300 miles away. Did you have cold a/c at startup? Cold a/c at startup is my biggest concern but of course I dont want to run hot towing.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts