Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, After jumpstarting the TB for the third time the other day, I got pretty irritated, had the battery tested and sure enough it tested bad. In fact after Autozone tested it, it wouldn't start and they had to jump it again. So I called the dealer I bought it at, and made it fairly clear I was a little irritated at the number of things their "certification" program missed, such as the factory air filter still on at 45K. So after an earful they said they'd order a new battery for me and have it in the same afternoon, since I had to drive to NY Friday morning. I went in and they installed the battery and tried to fix my stereo problem and since they couldn't figure that out i told them to order me a stereo too. Then I had them fill the fuel tank after driving all the way there.

Anyways, I drove to Mackinaw two weeks ago and with the cruise set at 75 I got 19.9 mpg. I just drove through western NY up and down hills, and then blasted through Ontario at 85mph, and averaged 24 mpg. Could that be partially due to the battery? Maybe the alternator working so hard before was working the engine harder? Anyways, I was pretty happy with 24mpg at 85mph:yes:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
how do you know its the factory filter in there?

the mileage increase-- could be due to the battery disconnect and it losing certain lost settings--- and then relearning new parameters that were a little more 'fuel efficient' (shift patterns).
You using the DIC or hand calculating the MPG's

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
...Maybe the alternator working so hard before was working the engine harder? ...
Interesting report. Let me just look at this one idea. The alternator can put out 150A max. At 14V, that's 2100 Watts. One HP = 746 Watts, so a fully loaded alternator is only capable of stealing about 3HP from the engine. And I'm sure a bad battery isn't soaking up current like that because if it was turning it into heat it would have boiled dry and melted. So the idea that alternators steal enough HP to be really noticeable is a myth.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,282 Posts
Regarding a dealership "missing" things....

For what its worth, my friend had a 99 Grand Am that she bought new and bought GM's "maintenace package" along with her extended warranty. Included was all "required maintenance" for 60,000 miles, or 4 years, or something to that effect which includes oil/filter, cabin air filters, air filters. She brought the car in every 3,000 (required for warranty) for the maintenace.

Anyways she keeps on bringing the car in to the dealer because it starts up and stalls right out. Gas MPG is hell. CEL is on, O2 sensors going crazy. Dealership throwing parts at the car.

One day she comes over and I ask if I can check it for her. Hook up my scan tool, its tossing a myriad of codes. Check the oil - dirty but full. Fuel filter recently changed. Check the air filter and for some reason, even though it was at the dealer for maintenace every 3,000 miles AND recent problems, the original air filter was in still at 50,000 miles. It was completely and utterly clogged. Heres some pictures I took of it. Its still hanging up in my garage!

Replaced $7 filter, and she was on her way. Within 2 days, CEL went off.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread :D

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how do you know its the factory filter in there?
You using the DIC or hand calculating the MPG's
Factory AC Delco Filter has bright orange rubber ends, after that they are black. They do the same on the oil filter, rubber gasket is orange at the factory, black afterwards.

I keep complete fuel records for all my cars, when, where how much, mileage, price, everything. I then check every once in a while betwwen fillups or after long trips to see how the mileage is doing. Truck never went over 20 until this weekend.

wooluf1952 said:
I would look more to temp and wind conditions. And traffic
I though of this, but from NY to MI was no significant traffic, ~70 degrees, straight into a mild headwind, averaging 80-85 mph, 24mpg. Two weeks ago, Similar temperature, no traffc at all, through a mild crosswind, driving 75, I only got 19.9, which at that time was the best mileage I had ever gotten.

I agree with Roadie, the battery should not have made a difference, just throwing some ideas out there, but I tend to lean with rbarrios, its most likely the computer relearning after being diconeected. Guess I'll just have to pull the battery cable before every long trip lol.

On a side note, I popped the hood last night to see the model/serial number on the new battery so I can put it in my records, and the folks at the dealership were kind enough to leave the wrench they used sitting under the hood, and the broke one of the tabs on the bottom part of the fuse panel right behind the battery, I assume in their attempt to check what the deal is with my stereo. So now that lid won't stay down either. Can't believe the wrench didn't fall in the 700 mile trip, but they are gonna get another earful when I go back in to have them put in the stereo, then they can order whatever part they need to fix the fuse cover

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.