Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm a new TB owner here. Just got a 03 LTZ.

One thing that I don't like about the TB is the fact that the 12v power inputs in the car stay on when the car is off. I have a 3way 12v splitter that I want to hard wire into the car. Is there a 12v wire what is switched on by the ignition and/or accessory mode that I can splice the splitter into behind the dash/radio that will be able to provide enough power to run a radar detector, ipod charger, and maybe a small power inverter off it? (All of those things run off my 3way splitter right now).

I also have the bose system in my car that has the DVD player in the back seat and the rear sound console. I want to get an Ipod/Aux audio adaptor for it, but I can't tell what one to get, since none of the sticky threads here really mention my radio as a compatable one. Here is an image of my radio:

Last but not least:
I plan on putting a carputer in my car. I don't want to lose the Bose radio though. I plan on hooking carputer into that AUX connection i mentioned above and playing audio through that. I need some good idea's on where to place everything. I have NO idea where I want to put the LCD screen. I'm thinking of a 7" or 8" touchscreen. If possible, I would like a place to put it that would allow me to unhook it easily, and store it away (If i park in a bad area). But i also wouldn't mind mounting it either. I just need a good LCD mount, and a place to mount it. I'm not too good with fabrication. I know basic stuff, so puting it inside the dash may be tricky for me.
I also need a good place for the computer itself. It's a Mac Mini. The two places I was thinking of were ether Mounted under the dash with a mount made for the mac mini, or under the back seat next to the onstar unit if it will fit. If it doesn't, then I wouldn't mind taking out the onstar unit, except i'm not sure If I can without disrupting the other systems of the car. I also want to try to keep the mini in the front, since If I can, that means I need to buy a USB DVD-Rom for it to plug in up front, which I would like to avoid.

So.. basiclly, im looking for the suggestions on easy places to mount the macmini and the LCD screen.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome :)

One more question. haha. What would you guys recommend as a good ODB-II Scanner that can hook up to a USB port? I don't care much about clearing codes (Although that would be nice).

I've seen so many recommendations on the forums, but they all either contradict eachother somehow or they claim this one unit is THE BEST. I'm looking for one that will give me as much information as possible, about economy, and other ODB info that I can display.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
425 Posts
i think your best bet would be to get the power from the fuse box under the hood.the ignition wire is pink and its under the steering column but i would not recommend splicing in to it to run all those things.

·
Registered
425 Posts
you may want to check out mp3car.com for more info about computers in cars. they also sell all the stuff you will need to install one. also check out autotap for obdII computer software

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been doing a ton of research on mp3car actually. I may post this question ver there as well. I just figured trailblazer owners would have better idea's for placement of the LCD and macmini. Thats what i REALLY wanna know pretty bad.

I'm thinking about getting an add-a-fuse kit and throwing a new fuse in that box and tapping off one of the switched 12v's in the box.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I'm thinking about getting an add-a-fuse kit and throwing a new fuse in that box and tapping off one of the switched 12v's in the box.
that would be the best way for supplying power. as for placement of the mac under the backseat would be the best/safest place.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Have you thought about an overhead mount for the touchscreen? It would help eliminate the worry about theft if you made it flip up as it would not be as visible. I'm sure it would all depend on what you have now for an overhead console, but would be a good place to mount the screen.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was thinking about doing the overhead mount, but I do have a small console and dvd layer in the back along with I THINK a compartment to hold crap in... I'll take more pictures when I get home.
http://www.demine0.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/dvd_player.jpg
http://www.demine0.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/rearview_mirror_overhead_controls.jpg
I also wouldn't want to run a whole ****ton of moniter cable and USB cable all the way into the back seat (Although it might not be TOO bad) from the ceiling.

Any other suggestions?

I would LOVE a mount that I can just install right on top of the dash, that allows me to easily remove the LCD (I would hate for it to be sitting there yelling STEAL ME!!)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Is the section with the drop down screen you have now separate from the front portion of your console? You might be able to pick another up and modify it to fit your touchscreen and make some mods to your overhead to put it close to the front for your mount. Otherwise, look at some RV type dash mounts to get ideas for placement there instead.

Another option: Go ahead and ditch the stock Bose indash player, get something similar to http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001PAECYE?tag=bountii-20&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER, it will give you the touch screen, USB hookup and play DVD's and let you use your existing screen as well. Downside, not sure if it can be used with your carputer... though it will use an onboard usb HD for music/movie purposes. Only thing I don't like about it is the load time each time you acess the HD or MP3 player. It will also control your Ipod, work with the Iphone and is reasonably priced. I'm sure you can get even more features but the cost will be higher.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I rather avoid the drop down mount, just because it would also block my rear view mirror if I put it up as close as I needed it to be to use it from the front seat.

Can you give me an example of an RV mount? Or do you know of any mounts I can just screw into the top of my dash, what fold up and down, and maybe have a quick release (or easy way of detaching the screen?)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I saw that thread. It's not too bad, but I don't like the fact that he mounted it in with mounting tape. I know some of the lilliput lcd's come with dashboard mounts. Not sure how good they are though.

·
Registered
65 Posts
as far as getting the aux since u have the factory dvd u can tap that audio line into the radio and put a relay on it and a switch and use that analog input as your aux in or if u have sat radio just use that input instead

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Penta, the factory DVD player only plays audio through the headsets that come with the car. Kinda sucky eh? So i don't think that will work.

I think im going to find a place under the dashboard to mount the mini (Maybe sideways against the center column that the radio is in), and then i'll get the 7inch lilliput touch screen that has the dash mount kit. I beleive it attaches onto the mount via a screw in the back. I can just replace this screw with a thumb tighting screw, and vola. Quick Release.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali_xl
111 Posts
i have a pretty easy solution for hooking stuff up to your stock radio. I'm putting a Kenwood KOS-A200 external media controller in my envoy xl. basically all you do is plug your antenna into it and the the KOS-A200 plugs into ur antenna on the back of the radio. Then theres just minur wiring to constant 12v, switched 12v and ground. I was going to put in a whole new head unit, but i like the one stock one in my denalli other than the fact it doesn't have a USB port for my MP3 player. I paid less than 250 for the controller and antella adapters (you'll need both the male and female GM adapters) Everything is easily hidded away except for the small 1/2"x1" sensor for the controller. Be carefull buying this online. It is back ordered with Kenwood, many sites say they have it instock or that they can get it soon, but then after waiting you find out they don't have it. I talked to Kenwood and they said they do not expect to send any more of these units to the US. It is beeing replaced with a newer version that will cost about $200 more. I was able to find mine on Bestbuy.com.

Hope this helps

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.