Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on vacation as of this week and I have been told that my GoodYears are dead. The problem is that I will be going camping with the family on Sunday and I need to buy tires by tomorrow morning so we are ready to travel.

I need help picking a tire, I am looking at the Michelin LTX M/S. Anyone have a better pick? I live in Canada so winter is bad......

Thanks

· Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
... I have been told that my GoodYears are dead....
Did this just sneak up on you, or were you suspecting it?

Unless you're offroading a lot, I'm a big fan of Goodyear Silent Armors. They have multiple models. But we know nothing about your budget or how much you value quietness, towing ability, rain, mud, snow performance, or tread wear. Way too many variables to ask for a recommendation because there can't POSSIBLY be one best tire for all people.

· Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did this just sneak up on you, or were you suspecting it?

Unless you're offroading a lot, I'm a big fan of Goodyear Silent Armors. They have multiple models. But we know nothing about your budget or how much you value quietness, towing ability, rain, mud, snow performance, or tread wear. Way too many variables to ask for a recommendation because there can't POSSIBLY be one best tire for all people.
I had thought that I could get at least the summer out of them. I have two cars and I do not drive the TB much myself.

Canadian Winter is bad - the triple treads where good for two years
Tow 4000 lb travel trailer weight distribution hitch
Tow 4000lb trailer with ATV's no weight distribution
Budget $1,000.00
Quiteness - What is the definition of noise? the tt was good
no off roading only when placing trainer on camp ground and I would not consider this off roading

I know two things I will never do again......
1- Buy a Good Year product - 80,000km warranty non existent, however Good Year in Canada states 80km warranty.
2- Buy a Chyrsler product - Owned one and never again.....

6 hours left need sleep....

· Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
4,036 Posts
FWIW, I live my General Grabber HTS tires. I have 12K on them now with no noticable wear, and they were great last winter, bu a PA winter is nothing like a Canada winter I am sure. They were $650 mounted balanced with an allignment.

Hope you find something that works for you.

Chris

· Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The TB is in the dealership getting a wheel alignment. I provided the service manager my invoice with the Good Year Forterra's (purchased 2006 at 68,000 kilometers now I have 114,000 Kilometers) he was in agreement that all four tires prematurely had worn down. The question is what will they do?

If GM won't do anything I am going to buy Michelin XC LT4 from another tire dealer. On sale now buy one the other is half price. Tire cost is approxiamtely $150/tire. The LTX are $230.00/tire and all other brands I have looked at are over $200/tire. You have to like Canadian prices....

UPDATE: I called GoodYear directly and they have agreed to cover 50% of the cost. The new tires are $230.00 installed. I am to pay $130.00/tire and maintain a new warranty up to 130KM's. I would still not reccomend these tires.

· Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
267 Posts
I have the LTX M/S in 245/65/17. They're great tires, awesome on the highway and good on the trails, not for serious offroading but they will get you out of most light trails.

Beware, mine are rated for 35 PSI, so if you like to run above 35, pick something else. Somebody mentioned that they are rated for 44, but mine say 35.

· Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,009 Posts
The LTX M/S tires are about the best in this class of tire (and are pricey.) You get what you pay for.

I have never had a Goodyear I liked, and have never had a Michelin I didn't like.

BUT ... if you are going Michelin anyway, why not get an upgraded tire instead of one that is more OEM style? There IS a noticeable difference from the XC and Cross Terrain to the LTX M/S, to the point I wouldn't put anything else in this class tire on a Trailvoy.

I guess the question is if you are willing to pay for the best (Michelin) once or the second best (Goodyear) three times?

As for Canadian winters, the BEST upgrade I have ever bought for my SUVs was a set of Michelin X-Ice Latitude winter tires mounted on my old stock rims.

What the heck ... it's only money.
-------

Stay thirsty my friends.

· Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Forterra Tripple tread are amaxzing for the first two years. We ski allot and I have been in some pretty bad snow storms, however two years is not long on a tire. I have new Goodyear TT's on my TB again, however this is because Goodyear has paid half for them. I also told the GY rep that I expect 135,000 KM out of them as per warranty and if not I will be back again. I know that I may only get 80,000km which is fine, but not less. I would not reccomend them until I get my money's worth out of them and only time will tell. I was lucky in getting something back from Good Year, however someone who has the same problem may not be. The dealership was worthless in this issue and refused to do anything, I had called Goodyear myself and made the arrangements to havethem replaced at the dealership.

One important item. You must rotate your tires as recomended by tire manufacturer with invoices do it yourself will not count. You will not get anything if you can't prove you rotated the tires if you have a problem with the tire.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.