Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have pretty much done everything as far as suspension goes on the front end. New control arms both sides, upper and lower ball joints both sides, wheel bearings both sides, struts both sides, tie rod just the driver side outter was replaced, sway bar both sides and I still have a front end noise its like a clunk kinda sound and it does it just driving straight and when I turn and going over bumbs. Everything as far as suspension has been relooked over and everything still looks fine. Also all fittings have been greased. Any help would be great as I'm going crazy with this trailblazer. I have been through a few fourms on front end noises and seems answers are what has already been done.

·
Registered
2005 trailblazer_lt
112 Posts
Maybe one of the strut "boots" is making the noise that you hear ?? Some struts have a boot that's in a fixxed position, but others have a boot that can/will move around.

It's possible that the noise you hear is not even suspension related. ( you do hear the noise when driving in a straight line after all ) Might be a hose bumping up on the frame, a broken screw/bolt at the fog light allowing it to wiggle, or a wheel well liner that's missing a few attaching plastic pins. Point is; since you've already had most of the suspension parts replaced & looked at - time to start looking for other possibilities.

:cool:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will have my mechanic guy look through all of that also but the noise does not sound like any of that it almost sounds like when I had a broken strut or when my sway bar came loose that's kind of the noise that I'm hearing.

·
Registered
2005 trailblazer_lt
112 Posts
I had installed a pair of new struts onto my 04, about a year later the truck got wrecked and I pulled the struts off that truck for re-use in my 'new to me' 05 Trailblazer. Last week I was about to install those struts ( actually had them both in place - but not bolted in yet ) and I heard a metal-to-metal clang noise while I was about to tighten the pass side strut. Under the strut boot there was a metal "washer" that was loose. It was supposed to be in a fixed position under / at the top of the strut boot, but somehow; it had come loose. Turn the strut upside down and it moved on the strut post to the top of the boot ,.... turn the strut back to normal and it would fall till it hit the body of the strut. I never would have looked for this as a problem if the strut was installed - but I sure as heck would have heard that thing clanging around in there while driving - even over the mildest bumps.

I doubt this is your issue, but the point is, since you've already had the most obvious possible causes check out,..... you gotta' start looking at stuff that's not a "normal" occurrence/failure. It's just not that often that you will hear suspension type sounding problems when driving in a straight line.

:cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is most likely not the answer but it is a very easy check. Motor mount. Put your foot firmly on the break and go from drive to reverse a few times if you hear a clunk it is a motor mount or tranny mount. As I said it is prob not the answer but clunks are funny in vehicles they travel through the steel and usually sound like the other side of the vehicle then they are

John Miller

1 - 5 of 5 Posts