Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so i just swapped out the shocks tonight. if was the fitst time i've done this before and it took me and my buddy about 4 hours to do. here's the issue.
when i was driving home i could hear like a ting ting sound everytime i hit a bump, note: i just had the lower ball joints replaced yesterday by the stealer ship: the driver side was the first side we did and it was a pain in the as*. no matter what we did we coudnn't get the pinch bolt to line up and had to use a floor jack to shove it in. i'm not sure if that's normal. the other side went alot faster. here's the thing i get the reflex shocks in the front and the monroe sensor whatevers in the back we were trying to figure out how much thread needed to be exposed on the very top of the strut to make sure it was all good. on the stock we counted 3 threads and since these struts seemed t be a little longer we figured to go 6 on the new ones. had to compress the spring real tight to expose enough thread but we were able to do it. also when it was all said and done it seems like the truck is lower by a bit and when i put my hand on the top of my tire on the inside it has a finger gap and then it's hitting whatever it is rite behind the top of tire. to clarify if you looked at the top of your tire and looked at the shock area it's the first thing u can see. i'm not sure if theres only supposed to be a finger worth of room. sounds to me like the tire would bump it. but i'm not sure. will post pics if needed i won't let my wife or 18month old son in the truck till i know it's all good. any help is much thanked ahead of time.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
3,118 Posts
Try tightening the center strut nut a little more..
It tightens the lower strut rod retainer washer and upper
retainer to the rubber strut mount.
if They are loose you will hear a ding ding or click click
noise.. that would be the lower washer banging against the
top plate when your wheel retreats from the pothole.

As far as the height problem.
Check to see if you got the lower arm on the struts to far.
This could be why you had a hard time getting the bolt in..
The bolt has to line up with the recessed area on the
lower strut..
Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
got her!

kool thanks alot man. went to my buddys house today to check it out and you were correct, we had to remove the strut AGAIN and compress the springs and tighten that nut down. crazy that the nut went all the way down to the end of the threads but i can tell ya this she rides 110% better. man i cant believe how much a diff this made. i'm friggin stoked...
the only thing i got to say is shop around for prices. i bought from bumper to bumper and found out i overpaid by 110 bucks! i went in and all they would do is give me a 40 dollar credit. fukrs! i'll never buy from them again!
thanks for the help again!:thx:thx

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
3,118 Posts
Glad you got it figured out and that i was able to help!!
If and when you decide to level or lift that puppy, i can
help you with that as well..
I have had my strut assemblys apart so many times, i could
probably do it my sleep..
Sometimes i just take them out just to study them and
put them back in...lol..

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
721 Posts
I have had my strut assemblys apart so many times, i could probably do it my sleep. Sometimes i just take them out just to study them and put them back in.
Now THERE'S a man with WAY too much time on his hands! :crazy::crazy::crazy::bonk::bonk:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
4 Posts
How to Change a strut

MARKMC since ya take them apart all the time take some pic's and make a how to article......
:eek::eek::eek::hail:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts