Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am in need of a small part that needs to be replaced before I go crazy.

I have a 2008 Envoy SLE. Recently I put my sun visor off to the side of my driver's door b/c the sun was just so intense when I was out early one morning. When I went to swing it back over to the front windshield and clip it back in place, I swung it over too quickly and snapped off the locking tab on the base where you secure the visor.

So I called my local dealer and after tracking down the specific part and finding the part number the dealer told me that it had been discontinued. None of the GM parts websites no longer carry this small but necessary part because without this little locking tab my visor just swings around all over the place.

I have asked a few junkyards in the area that you can send an online request and they all came back negative.

So what I am asking here is for all you experts out there how can I get my hands on this little part? Right now I am using the one from the passenger side but they are not completely interchangeable. It turns out there is actually a right and left hand one so it does not fit just right and the visor does not clip properly but it is working for now.

I also thought about buying an all new visor but since mine has the illuminated mirror the visor costs over $100 and does not come with the separate clip.

The official part number is 25873335.

Thanks in advance for any help.

PS I live in the Philadelphia area

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
340 Posts
GM has discontinued this part so I see two options. The first is to keep looking in salvage yards. This seems to have been a fairly common part so there should be a lot of them out there and the yard isn't going to sell many so it should be cheap. http://oemcats.com/oem-parts/25873335.html has a list of other vehicles that supposedly used this part.

Second is to fabricate a part yourself. A hunk of plastic and a Dremel tool can accomplish wonders.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have already been to that site and the links it provides sends me to sites that I have already been to or they access the GM parts sites and comes back discontinued.

Thank you

·
Registered
340 Posts
Yes, but have you tried using that site's references to other vehicles when searching scrap yards? A scrap yard is going to index specific vehicles, not individual parts. Maybe they don't have a 2008 Envoy but they might have a 2002 Oldsmobile Bravada, or a 2006 Buick Rainier or... I see 77 different year/models that would all have the same part.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_sle
631 Posts
Yes, but have you tried using that site's references to other vehicles when searching scrap yards? A scrap yard is going to index specific vehicles, not individual parts. Maybe they don't have a 2008 Envoy but they might have a 2002 Oldsmobile Bravada, or a 2006 Buick Rainier or... I see 77 different year/models that would all have the same part.
you make an excellent point, many vehicles all different names, more or less the same parts.

is this the part?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/02-03-04-CHEVY-GMC-SUN-VISOR-SUNVISOR-LEFT-DRIVER-RETAINER-CLIP-OEM-GRAY/123143560632?fits=Model:Envoy&hash=item1cabed9db8:g:dB0AAOSw2xRYWYa6&_sacat=0&_nkw=envoy+Retainer+sunvisor&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313&LH_TitleDesc=0|0

·
Registered
340 Posts
I believe the OP didn't want to go to a yard. He just wanted to email them to see if they had spent the time to index and respond to an email for a $2 part.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
25 Posts
you make an excellent point, many vehicles all different names, more or less the same parts.

is this the part?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/02-03-04-CHEVY-GMC-SUN-VISOR-SUNVISOR-LEFT-DRIVER-RETAINER-CLIP-OEM-GRAY/123143560632?fits=Model:Envoy&hash=item1cabed9db8:g:dB0AAOSw2xRYWYa6&_sacat=0&_nkw=envoy+Retainer+sunvisor&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=m570.l1313&LH_TitleDesc=0|0
Go to a pull yourself yard. I go about every 2 or 3 weeks just to look around, and those clips are always still in them. They are so small you can just unscrew them and put them in your pocket. Worst case they might charge you $2. Don't waste you time with the dealer. There's nothing wrong with junkyard parts, I've pretty much rebuilt an Envoy and a Saab 97x with almost all junkyard parts. I even use rotors and brake pads from there, and I know some people will give me crap for that but when you run across a car that has been wrecked and someone has just put brand new brakes on it, and get 2 rotors and 2 sets of pads for $20.....You would be crazy not to. Sorry for the rant..lol...just go to the junkyard.
That part on that eBay Link looks like the one holding the visor on my 2004 Trailblazer. If it looks like yours, go for it.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
14 Posts
Go to a pull yourself yard. I go about every 2 or 3 weeks just to look around, and those clips are always still in them. They are so small you can just unscrew them and put them in your pocket. Worst case they might charge you $2. Don't waste you time with the dealer. There's nothing wrong with junkyard parts, I've pretty much rebuilt an Envoy and a Saab 97x with almost all junkyard parts. I even use rotors and brake pads from there, and I know some people will give me crap for that but when you run across a car that has been wrecked and someone has just put brand new brakes on it, and get 2 rotors and 2 sets of pads for $20.....You would be crazy not to. Sorry for the rant..lol...just go to the junkyard.
Are you advocating stealing?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
114 Posts
I was looking for visor clips for my '99 Plymouth Grand Voyager. I pulled about a half dozen from vehicles in the yard. Took them into the office to pay for them and the clerk told me just to take them. That was nice, but one should always take what has been pulled to the counter to pay. If they let you have them for free, great! But you should NEVER just walk out without trying to pay for something!

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
25 Posts
I was looking for visor clips for my '99 Plymouth Grand Voyager. I pulled about a half dozen from vehicles in the yard. Took them into the office to pay for them and the clerk told me just to take them. That was nice, but one should always take what has been pulled to the counter to pay. If they let you have them for free, great! But you should NEVER just walk out without trying to pay for something!
Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
114 Posts
Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What do you find humorous about theft?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts