Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there!

My name is Mike and I am looking to purchase a 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer w/ 79K.
Before making the purchase, I would like to know of any tips or what to look out for before making this kind of purchase.
Are there any issues on these 2003 Chevrolet Trailblazer's?

I found this website (below) and it said that there is a issue w/ some kind of ticking, but maybe its ping ignition (due to cheap fuel) maybe?

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Chevrol...ne/index.shtml

Thanks for any tips and hopefully I will be a Trailblazer owner here very, very soon.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
If you're looking at 4WD, you need to worry about the maintenance, since the transfer case fluid change was due at 50K. But many folks have done it for the first time at 100K.

If you can, get a pre-purchase inspection that INCLUDES checking the transfer case and both front and rear differential fluid levels and condition. Any one of those three items could cost over $1K to replace. And also have the mechanic check for historical codes in the engine computer. A new member just reported being victimized by a private seller who sneakily cleared the codes, sold the car before they came back, and when the vehicle's problems showed up again he was looking at thousands in repairs. Without an inspection that includes the use of a scan tool to look at recent history error codes, you could be victimized as well. (Applies to any vehicle, not just the trailvoy)

The electroviscous fan clutch is a popular failure item. If you're handy, you can do it for $200 instead of the dealer's $600-800. If it hasn't been replaced with a new design one, you should budget for that. Cleaning the throttle body is cheap and easy, and will improve idle and drivability. Instructions are here at trailvoy.

And if you're buying as a 4WD, and intend to use it offroad or on snow/ice, make sure the vehicle has the G80 automatic locking rear differential option. Check the glovebox sticker for RPO code G80. Expensive to add later, but if you get it with the vehicle it is a great advantage.

The spare tire winches love to corrode into place, so see if you can also crank down the spare to check its condition.

If you don't get an Owner's Manual, we have replacement PDFs here on the site, but they should discount the price for being so stupid as to misplace the original.

Good luck - glad you found trailvoy BEFORE you bought!

Edit: And make SURE you try out all the 4WD modes to make sure the transfer case controls aren't frozen or dead. Not likely, but it's happened. And check ALL the lights for dead fuses. Flashers, and DRL, too.

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Hi, You're probably getting tired of running these VIN numbers by now!

If you don't mind could you run 1GNDT13S272256710 ?

Thanks alot, I'm sure EVERYBODY appreciates this very much!!!

Russ
I think you got the wrong thread............I think his name is dwight......that is the person you are looking for

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The roadie-

Thank you for your input and great information.
What I did was head to that dealership and took a look and after a bunch of BS talk w/ the sales manager, he pulled me to the side and asked for me to take a look @ a newer TB. He suggested that I should purchase an 2008 TB w/ 34K and it cost right @ $14K.

Now... not to stir and ca-ca in the bowl and I am "NOT" a Chevy vs. Ford person, but he also (for a comparision) showed me a 2006 Explorer XLT w/ the same amount of miles, but $1k less then the 08 TB.

The sales rep had me drive both :woot:, both seem very nice and now I was talking with the family :grouphug: and the wife pulled some points. She like the extra UMPH in the TB, but loves the bigger cargo / seating space, 3rd row and roof ac vents in the Explorer.

For the money - it seems that the 2008 TB is a better buy (at least by the bank lender). Not sure if any of you converted from a Explorer to a TB, but I went to Edmunds Auto and read the reviews for both the 06 Explorers and 08 TB. They seem to avg the same amount in rank review and both having issues. It does seem that lot more owners are not happy with the tranny issues in the Exploders.

Such a hard decision and I know I am asking on a TB forum, but any of you got any experience w/ Ford :duh:... I know... I am beating my head w/ a hammer!! :eek:

For the money.... you guys think the 08 TB for 1k more is the better route (and is newer)? :thx

·
Western Canada Chapter
6,411 Posts
You have to tel us more about the Trailblazer. Is it 4WD? Does it have the G80. What gears are in the rear? What model is it and what options?

Lots to consider. Are you going to tow? Do you know the history of both vehicles etc.........

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
yes, we need more specs on the 08 TB...
like he said--- what options are on it.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
40 Posts
I have a 2003. The only problems I have had were addressed by GM recalls for bad tail light circuit board and a wiper motor. If you are looking at a Ford Explorer you should check the trailer hitch. A friend wanted to borrow a my son's 24 foot double axle enclosed trailer. When he arrived the Explorer turned out to have only a 1-1/4 inch factory installed hitch receiver. Also if you plan to rent a trailer from U-Haul, their web-site still quotes "This vehicle is not authorized to tow U-Haul equipment. U-Haul does not rent behind this tow vehicle".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts