Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if it is possible to put a 5 speed or 6 speed transmission into a 2004 I6 Trailblazer. Are there anydirect bolt-ons?

If yes, can you please help direct me on what would fit and/or what else I need to do/get... including possible PCM issues.

Thanks.

· Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,736 Posts
My main objective for doing this is to get better acceleration(it is already dyno tuned). I'm not sure if if a transmission with overdrive would help- but, I just don't know. Any suggestions or info would be trully appreciated.
If you're just looking for better acceleration, you'd be much better off doing a 5HP power adder, than going through the trouble of swapping to a manual... Same result, anyway...

If you just WANT a manual, that's fine, but automatics (especially automatics with shift kits) are actually VERY close to manuals in acceleration, these days... If you don't want the torque converter to multiply torque for you, you can always have it lock up in first or second gear on WOT (may take a stronger converter)...

Mike

· Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
102 Posts
If you are really stuck on this idea.. I would recommend a Quaife Universal gearbox..And if you are pretty handy and can fab your own bell housing. I used to run autocross and most of the Legend class guys I see swear by their gearbox's. They have Race and Road applications.. If you have the budget for this modification that would be the way to go.. Because the cheapest I found new has been no less than 5k and some of their offroad ATB trannies go for at least 11k. Also when messing with the gearbox on these vehicles you may need a configurable ECU/PCM. Because the amount of fuel dumped depends on what RPM's you are at revving out with little fuel can be a problem..This already doesn't look cheap.. IMO Your better off doing a motor swap on the TB..At least with something fully tunable...

3,736 Posts
If you are really stuck on this idea.. I would recommend a Quaife Universal gearbox..And if you are pretty handy and can fab your own bell housing. I used to run autocross and most of the Legend class guys I see swear by their gearbox's. They have Race and Road applications.. If you have the budget for this modification that would be the way to go.. Because the cheapest I found new has been no less than 5k and some of their offroad ATB trannies go for at least 11k. Also when messing with the gearbox on these vehicles you may need a configurable ECU/PCM. Because the amount of fuel dumped depends on what RPM's you are at revving out with little fuel can be a problem..This already doesn't look cheap.. IMO Your better off doing a motor swap on the TB..At least with something fully tunable...
I don't think it needs to go that far... I don't feel like looking right now, but the guy who is putting a 4200 into a Supra (on this site) said the only thing he really had issue with was the flywheel, and its bolt pattern... This engine mates up to a standard 4L60E, so I would guess that it would mate to a Tremec 6-speed out of an F-body, or a 5-speed out of a truck.

You'd just have to turn off the part of the ECM that looks at the transmission, and make it so it doesn't throw a code... The fuel would be fine, other than trying to do TQ management with the DBW throttle, when it's not needed... Definately need a programmer, and maybe have to adapt a PCM from something else...

Mike

3,736 Posts
I'm using a bellhousing from a Hummer H3. It bolts the 4200 to any of Aisin's AR5 or R series transmissions. Prior to this swap, I had replaced the R154 from the Supra with an AR5 from a Pontiac Solstice. So now, the entire drivetrain with be MY2006 "GM".

This... Thread is titled "supra 4200 swap"

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.