Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i am in the process of selling my jeep to buy a tb. ( i am originally a gm man, my z28 got rear ended and for some reason i got a jeep :bonk: )

i will be looking at 06 and older

when doing research i see some are advertised as v6 and I6 is there really two diffrent motors available in the tb? if so whats the horsepower diffrence?

what years do i want to stay away from?

what are the most common problems that i should look for when buying the tb?

what are the most common issues?

any specific options i should look for ? (like air suspension, etc.)

how is it on fuel? ( i know they are rated at 20 but whats the real world fuel economy)

i will be using this to go back and fourth to college how is the comfort? (it has to be better then my jeep and z28. haha)

here is an odd question but are the cup holders good? none of my other cars have any! :duh:

if you have anyother facts you think i should know mention them please.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
276 Posts
There is no V6 in a TB, it is an Inline six cylinder or a V8 as an option or standard on some models, i.e. SS.

I can't say that there is any year to stay away from, mine is an '03 and seems to be fine, it may depend on what options you want as to what year to look at.

Exhaust manifolds appear to be a problem on some TB's from reading the forums. Powersteering pumps can be a problem also, but mainly if your doing cookies. You may want to check out the section listed for the engine size you want to see what TSB's are commonly posted, i'm sure that would give you ideas on what may be a common failure rate of certain parts.

Depending on whether or not you intend to install your own sound system, you may want to avoid the BOSE system, however, if you like stock then the BOSE may do you well, options can include Leather, Onboard DVD, Nav, again, all depending on what you look at.

Fuel on the I6 will vary on driving conditions, that said however, I Fuled up in Buffalo Wyoming, drove over the Bighorns to Thermopolis for a family reunion. Then drove up to Tihak above Meteesee Wyoming to do a little camping and driving around for the weekend. Followed by a drive to Worland Wyoming where we fuled up for the first time of the weekend. Total miles driving to this point 308miles. Total gallons of fuel used to refuel, 15.2 gallons. So 20 MPG is quite reasonable to expect. Drove home back over the Big Horns a bit more spirited, but still only used less than a 1/4 tank to get back to Clearmont.

It drove quite well, ours is not the EXT version, has all stock suspension and basic 'road' type tires. Thanks to this trip however, the wife has changed her mind on the mild lift and tire upgrade I suggested shortly after we purchased the vehicle. That being said, the seats do leave a little to be desired in the support department which is something else we plan to remedy with a trip to an upholsterer to get some added lumbar support put in.

The cupholders are adequate, not spetacular by any means, 3 in the center console up front, two fold outs in the rear of the center console for the back and 1 in each front door side pocket, but these are just large enough for a 12 oz. can.

I do like the aux 12 volt power supply in the rear, comes in handy. I don't care for the spare tire being underneath, but that will change with a new rear bumper or a roof rack installation.

Last, but far from least, This site, as it will offer tons of information and support from others that will be invaluable.

·
Registered
624 Posts
you came to the right place place for answers

i have an 03 with 81k on it. Its been flawless for me. It has a beautiful ride. Handling is what you would expect from an suv. For gas a get about 18 city and 24highway. I have some extras on the engine to help improve gas mileage though. You would be looking at about 20-21 stock on highway. Cupholders are very good. never had anything spill yet.... seats could use a little more support. it feels like you are sitting on them instead of in them, just me though. other than that the tb has been great and i recommend them to anyone.

so :thumbsup:

·
Registered
217 Posts
i will be looking at 06 and older
Newer the better, not only for the obvious reason of less wear but there are a few big bugs on the earlier ones (search fan clutch)

when doing research i see some are advertised as v6 and I6 is there really two diffrent motors available in the tb? if so whats the horsepower diffrence?
4.2 I6, 5.3 V8 optional, and a 6.0 LS2 V8 in the SS msn.autos.com will have HP/torque specs.

what are the most common problems that i should look for when buying the tb?
fan clutch, water pooling around the coil packs (missing/damaged weather strip on hood), rock chip issue on the rockers/lower doors, make sure all the options work, individual modules are known to go bad.

any specific options i should look for ? (like air suspension, etc.)
This is really up to you, I searched for '06 a newer, leather, heated seats, heated mirrors, sun roof, disc changer. You'll also want to decide if you want a 5 seater or an extended 7 seater.

how is it on fuel? ( i know they are rated at 20 but whats the real world fuel economy)
I do about 70% city driving, just under 14 when I bought it, air filter and some other things I'm up to 16, higher is possible.

i will be using this to go back and fourth to college how is the comfort? (it has to be better then my jeep and z28. haha)
I went from a TJ on 36"s, this is a hell of a lot more comfortable.

here is an odd question but are the cup holders good? none of my other cars have any! :duh:
Out of the 3 in the front, one is good, the other 2 are only good for small cups, the back 2 are nice but don't want to put oversized cups in those either.

Get an extended warranty if it's your primary transportation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im coming from a yj on 35's. and about 9 grand is my limit so i don't really have a choice with year or warranty. i have to get what i can afford. i am hoping to get one with around 70,000 miles on it

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts

I have an 03- nearing 148,000- with my combined city and highway (Los Angeles traffic) I can easily get 18 MPG.
More highway I do-- that number goes up.

youll have no problem in the comfort zone.. its nice.

learn to drive smart--- and if you do alot of highway- MPG should be about 18-20.
On all highway trips I have managed shy of 24 MPG.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I looked at an Aug 05 model over the weekend. Just a few things of note.

The side curtain airbags have been moved from the seat to the pillar. In and of it'self it's not a big deal. However, the redesigned seat has better lumbar support over ours in our '03. I'm not sure what year this change was made.

The Oh **** handles now fold up. They've also eliminated the lights that where near the handles. I'm not sure what year they made the change. Myself I prefer the Stationary ones, they are easier to grab when my wife drives :laugh:

The climate controls have changed as well, instead of two slider controls for temp and 2 knobs for fan speed for drivers/passengers side. The newer vehicle has 2 knobs for temp adjustment and the fan controls seemed automatic to adjust to the temp set via each side. I may be wrong on this...

All in all, not real big changes. I do like the seats more, the handles less and the climate controls make no difference to me. There may be more changes, but that was all I noticed with a quick overlook while the salesman was looking over my shoulder.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
21 Posts
i have a k&n filter in mine and i took the roof rack crossbars off and i average 19 all summer doing mixed driving. also if you live anywhere near the rust belt look at the tranny cooler lines before you buy (you can see where they connect to the radiator if you look down in the engine compartment between the air cleaner assembly and the motor). i have an 02 and the lines rotted out in 3 different places and it cost about 400 bucks to have them replaced. other than that i love the ride on mine. it is great for the family and i have found the seats to be very comfy for me. the cupholders work great and the 12 volt outlet in the back is very handy for my sons portable dvd player. great vehicle, you'll love it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.