Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang,
I am new to TrailVoy.com today and in search of answers to issues in regards to the front carrier Assy. for my 2003 Envoy,4.2, SLE. I have been trying to find the proper part for replacement of the carrier assy. and the issue of 1 mounting hole or 2 mounting holes under the yoke comes up on every part I find that seems to be the proper fit. My envoy is a 2003 which from my research requires a 2 mounting hole under the yoke version. I am looking for a visual confirmation on this mounting hole issue because I have had a carrier assy. shipped to me from a salvage yard stating that it is from a 2004 Envoy with 3.73 gears.I am not 100% sure it is the proper unit. Prior to getting into the dismantling and replacement of the front end diff. I need to confirm that the unit I purchased does indeed fit my application.I know that best way to do this is to get the vehicle on a lift and check visually but there is a problem that keeps me from doing that at this time. I am layed up in bed after a total knee joint replacement and I am trying to do my research until I am recovered enough to to the work.
Does anyone have a diagram, picture or link to show just exactly what the two mounting hole version looks like as compared to the one hole version?I can provide a picture of the unit I got from the salvage yard but I am not sure on how to post it to a link. Thanks and any help would be greatly appreciated.

RossMan

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2 Posts
one or two hole front differential

I have the exact same question you posted, except for a 3.42 ratio. I see nobody has responded to your question. Have you managed to figure it out some other way? I see what I think must be a motor mount with 2 mounting bolts "below and in front of the yoke", but it doesn't seem to have a thing to do with the diff itself. Frustrating that all salvage yards ask the question, but I haven't found one yet that can explain what they mean!

·
Premium Member
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
708 Posts
Here's a diagram of the Front Carrier. :thumbsup:

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2 Posts
Thanks very much. I think that the mounting bolts in question may actually be for a support member, that may not even be part of the differential. From the diagram and crawling under my vehicle, I see that there are at least 4 mounting bolts, although at least one is above the yoke.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
4,125 Posts
our trucks only have 1 mounting hole near the yoke. Any GMT360 diff you buy will fit. Just get the right gear ratio

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Luis,
Better late than never. I eventually figured that the 1 or 2 hole issue was not a big an issue as it seemed to be initially. Like you said as long as you get the proper gear ratio it most likely will fit the application. There just seems to be a lot of warnings out there about getting the right unit with the proper hole configuration. I think the early 2002 models had some different configuration than all the other years (2003-2009) so if you do some research prior to ordering a carrier assembly, most people should be okay.
I did not get much of a reply on the issue prior to ordering a salvage yard unit so I took a chance and it paid off and my Envoy has been repaired for a few days now. So thanks for the reply and hopefully it may come in handy for the next person who has the same questions. :thumbsup:

Rossman

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle_xl
10 Posts
our trucks only have 1 mounting hole near the yoke. Any GMT360 diff you buy will fit. Just get the right gear ratio
So, I'm a little confused still... you say our trucks only have one mounting hole, but any GMT360 will work... So the 2 bolt version will work too?
I seem to have found the 2002's did have some variation (I think two bolts)... So, I'm not sure what all these conflicting inputs mean.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts