Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I recently installed a set of silverstar 9006 bulbs for my headlights and 880 bulbs in my fogs. The battery ran dead when I was installing the bulbs and like an idiot my roomate attempted to jump start the battery from my the terminals on my fuse box. This caused the 125 mega fuse to blow which I have recently replaced. However now when I turn my fogs on or even turn the knob to only keep the fogs on I loose my dashboard lights and the lights on my radio however the radio still plays music. Are the new bulbs drawing to much current? I cant imagine how simply replacing the bulbs would cause this problem.. Any ideas fellas?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
From the factory service manual (assuming your vehicle is like my 2004), the fogs get their power by way of fuse 11 (15A) in the front fuse block, fed through relay 39. Control for the relay is by way of the BCM (body control module) near the rear fuse block.

The radio power is separate from the radio light because the lights have to be dimmable. And the dimmer control electronics is in the BCM, naturally.

I don't see how the idiot jumpstarting episode could damage the BCM, but that's one (expensive) possibility. If the dimmer electronics are damaged, or interacting with the fog circuit, you'd need to swap BCMs with another trailvoy as an experiment.

Do your fog lights really come on when you ask them to? Do you get a fog lamp indicator light coming on in the headlight switch assembly?

The 880 Silverstars are rated at 27 Watts, which is under 3 Amps, so I don't see how their current draw could be the problem. If the dimming circuit is simply going away when the fogs are turned on, you would also lose your window switch, HVAC control, instrument cluster, steering wheel buttons, and overhead console lighting. Can you confirm that?

And does your manual dimmer control knob do anything, both with the fogs off and on?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts