Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found this site so this is my 1st post here. And I already did the search function, but I think I am typing the wrong terminology.

My wifes 04 Envoy XL has terrible body roll, I drive it maybe once a month if that, so I never noticed the problem. This vehicle has had zero items replaced as it has not had any issues.

So are the stock shocks junk? Is the rear sway bar to small?

If these are in fact the issues what has been the overall recommended fixes?

Thanks,
Chad

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
4,125 Posts
The tires on these truck, IMHO, are the weakest link as far as body roll. I while back when I instlaled my 24's I had the 22's sitting in the shop and we threw them on the left side of an Envoy that came in to get new tires. Left turns sucked and right turns were substantially better. The owner of the Voy could not believe the difference. I didn't handle like mine, Belltech drop, rear Hotchkis sway bar and 24's, but it was a great deal better than stock.

you could get
Bilstein HD shocks front and rear
Eibach Pro Kit (if you don't want a drastic drop for increased handling)
Hotchkis rear sway bar (comes with upgraded front bushings as well)
and some 20" or 22" wheels

·
Registered
2006 chevy
2,079 Posts
These trucks have a bit of body roll, but nothing like the old s-10 blazers.

You could Upgrade your shocks, sway bars, and urethane bushing and it will go away.. But a wider tire with a lower profile will help with cornering and a lowering kit will do the same.. Lowering the center of gravity will always make a truck handle better...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She does not want new wheels she likes the wheels that came with it. I have had good luck with Rancho RS5000 shocks before would these help?

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
... I have had good luck with Rancho RS5000 shocks before would these help?
Not nearly as much as a bigger dia rear stabilizer ("sway", anti-roll) bar, and new harder urethane bushings for the front bar. Shocks will help dampen vertical movement, bounce and rebound. The stabilizer bars control roll.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. Who would be the best place to buy the sway bar from? And what are the price ranges?

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I liked the company gravanatuning.com they had the hotchkis swaybar for like 200$ i believe, and it comes with front and rear poly-urethane bushings

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
My Belltech drop kit eliminated a ton of body roll. I haven't rode in a truck with an upgraded swaybar, so I'm really not sure how much they change the ride.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xl
7 Posts
I just put a Hotchkis kit on mine and it made a huge improvement. I also upped the air pressure from the stock suggestion in the front, which helps the tire from rolling under and loosing its contact patch. I'll watch for unusual tire wear, but I can't believe it with the way the front end is so heavy that it will be an issue...30psi seems really low and only induces more understeer than is necessary.

·
Registered
254 Posts
My Belltech drop kit eliminated a ton of body roll. I haven't rode in a truck with an upgraded swaybar, so I'm really not sure how much they change the ride.

I agree just installed my Belltech and man does it make difference. its probbably the cheapest up grade to start off to reduce body roll. I picket my kit up on ebay for $170 and love it every bit of it

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I replaced mine like a year ago or so :

-and i replaced the rear sway bar

-new poly bushings for the front and rear

-new MOOG end links for the front and rear and yes they're still going VERY strong

and Bilstein HD's front and rear

and MAN it was a wonderful!! feel so stiff love it still no body roll unless of course theres a big rock i go over when out in the desert but if ya'll do those things they make the ride feel like a sports car :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle
46 Posts
I agree with Maximus the Bell Tech anti sway bar is the bomb I got mine for ($179)! I just installed mine this past weekend and man the difference is awsome less body roll and shimmy on turns. First off the intall only took an hour, replacement of the OEM is easy 18mm socket, a combo box and open end wrench, and a 7mm allen wrench is all you need. Right out of the box you ll notice the size difference between the stock and Belltech. Ride remains pretty much the same but driving, steering, and cornering is almost like driving a porche....okay maybe not the same but that much better! :woot::woohoo:

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
ADDCO front/rear is by far the best set up

The stock set ups are hallow. I cut a tbss sway bar in half and also a big pre tbss big bars on a 4x4 and the walls are very thin and it is hallow. The hotchkis bar is a wider bar for sure but also hallow. upon cutting a hotchkis bar in half from a totalled trailbalzer at a junkyard (got the bent bar for 10 bucks to see whats up) the walls are thin if NOT THINNER than the stock gm bar.

Addco is the best bang for the buck.

The belltechs are a nice unit also and solid. But they only sell the rears, id go with a company that makes both front and rears so you have a matching product thats been tested on both front and rear together

·
Registered
265 Posts
Nobody noticed his Signiture??
2004 GMC Envoy SLT XL
Light Pewter Metallic 4.2L I6 2WD

All the road tests i ever read:coffee Claimed the extended versions have terrible handling manners.

Might try going up in rim size and using a LT tire with a high load rating.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts