Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2006 ls 4x4 130k. put on a new set of Hankook dynapro tires. just did first 6 month rotation and rebalance now a whine started from rear end. I initially thought maybe it was the tires started to whine after they got a few miles on them but others with same tires don't have that issue so now it seems it's going to be a rear end issue. My first thought was wheel bearings. I called dealer and he says could be bearings or an internal problem. I understand that but the noise seems concentrated on driver rear side leading me to think its a bearing.
The only thing i've done is checking how hot the brake drums were after a 100 mile trip. The passenger side drum was hotter than driver side HMM? didn't expect that.
Next im gonna jack it up so both back tires are off the ground and run it and listen for noise. Hopefully I can pin point where its coming from.

Anyone had this whining issue develop? I don't think its tires because the sound don't change when the road surface changes like going from asphalt to concrete. The sounds remains constant, pitch changes with speed.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
16 Posts
kidmystery;1430618 The only thing i've done is checking how hot the brake drums were after a 100 mile trip. The passenger side drum was hotter than driver side HMM? didn't expect that.[/QUOTE said:
Based on that I would say your wheel bearing may be dry if not going bad. If it was me, I would pull the bearing out and see if it is dry, pack it with grease and reassemble and check it out. Could be a very simple fix if caught soon enough.

If that is the case, i would go ahead and pull the other side just to verify it isn't dry too. Grease is cheap...parts aren't.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
25 Posts
If the bearing is dry then that means the diff is low on gear oil. I would check for leaks while your under there. When you had your tires rotated, did the technician note a leaking pinion seal, axle seal, or diff cover?

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
672 Posts
2006 ls 4x4 130k. put on a new set of Hankook dynapro tires. just did first 6 month rotation and rebalance now a whine started from rear end. I initially thought maybe it was the tires started to whine after they got a few miles on them but others with same tires don't have that issue so now it seems it's going to be a rear end issue. My first thought was wheel bearings. I called dealer and he says could be bearings or an internal problem. I understand that but the noise seems concentrated on driver rear side leading me to think its a bearing.
The only thing i've done is checking how hot the brake drums were after a 100 mile trip. The passenger side drum was hotter than driver side HMM? didn't expect that.
Next im gonna jack it up so both back tires are off the ground and run it and listen for noise. Hopefully I can pin point where its coming from.

Anyone had this whining issue develop? I don't think its tires because the sound don't change when the road surface changes like going from asphalt to concrete. The sounds remains constant, pitch changes with speed.
Rotate the tires, with mileage in mind, not months.

6,000 miles is a good figure to use, for rotation intervals.

When rotated, did anyone state if these tires are "directional" ?

Changing direction on a directional tire can be noisy.

Don't understand your need to "rebalance tires", after 6 months.

BUT ..... if a tire was needed to be rebalanced, it may have already been "cupped", due to an improperly balanced tire.

If the tire IS cupped, that tire will create a "snowtire sound", which may be the noise you're speaking of.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.