Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '02 Envoy was due for several things, among them xfer case fluid change, motor oil change, etc. I had been putting it off because I've been busy, but I had also started to also notice a squeak coming off the right rear wheel, so today I dropped the car off at a friend's repair shop.

The following was discovered.......

The parking brake pads were basically disintegrating, and that is what was causing the brake squeak. We also found the backplates were both rusted beyond any use, so I had them replace the e-brake pads and the backplates. I never realized what a big job it was, but in the end it was completed along with all the fluid changes mentioned above, plus a couple of leaky bearing seals were also replaced.

So......pretty good day and you are asking....why does he need help.

Here is the issue........nobody at the shop could figure out how to adjust the parking brake after everything was done. I saw them struggle with this for 2 hours as I waited for the car. I even tried to help them out myself. In the end I had to take the car without a working parking brake and they asked me to come back tomorrow to work on it again. They looked in their computer system, and the procedure listed was just plain incomprehensible. We all agree that this should not be that difficult, but they didn't want to mess around too much without knowing for sure.

If anyone knows how to adjust the parking brake on this specific car, and can share a real procedure with me I would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
425 Posts
how to adjust it at the lever

Procedure is as follows:

Lower the park brake lever.

Raise the park brake lever.

Lift the park brake lever boot to gain access to the multiplier lever at the front of the park brake lever assembly.

Pivot the multiplier lever up and down 3 times.

Cycle the park brake lever up and down three times for auto adjustment.

Lower the park brake lever boot.

That's it, the lever should have adjusted automatically to the correct amount of slack and handle position.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Adjusting the cable that way is only effective in case of a small amount of cable stretch, and the pads have to be adjusted properly first.

I did mine last weekend, and it just takes a few tries to get it right.

I took the ebrake cable off the bracket where it gets its tension from:

Then take the end off the ebrake activation lever:

This allows the lever to move freely without any binding on the cable.

Then you have to manually adjust the star wheel on the pad.

Just like old fashioned drum brakes, but there's NO WAY to get at the star wheel from outside. You have to take the rotor off to try to adjust it. Crank on it until you have very little slop in the outside activation lever. Crank on the star wheel, put on the rotor, check the lever. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Do this separately on each side. Then reinstall the ebrake cables and it should be fine.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Adjusting the cable that way is only effective in case of a small amount of cable stretch, and the pads have to be adjusted properly first.

I did mine last weekend, and it just takes a few tries to get it right.

I took the ebrake cable off the bracket where it gets its tension from:

Then take the end off the ebrake activation lever:

This allows the lever to move freely without any binding on the cable.

Then you have to manually adjust the star wheel on the pad.

Just like old fashioned drum brakes, but there's NO WAY to get at the star wheel from outside. You have to take the rotor off to try to adjust it. Crank on it until you have very little slop in the outside activation lever. Crank on the star wheel, put on the rotor, check the lever. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Do this separately on each side. Then reinstall the ebrake cables and it should be fine.
i was hoping that the shop wold have know how adjust using the star wheel and were just tring to figure out final adjustment

Reactions: LastYearXL

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
i was hoping that the shop wold have know how adjust using the star wheel and were just tring to figure out final adjustment
Understood. I'm a bit more cynical about it. :dielaugh:

Let's hope you're right, since the cable adjustment process is extremely subtle. I even took and posted a pic of where that magic lever is a few weeks ago because it wasn't obvious from the description.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Understood. I'm a bit more cynical about it. :dielaugh:

Let's hope you're right, since the cable adjustment process is extremely subtle. I even took and posted a pic of where that magic lever is a few weeks ago because it wasn't obvious from the description.

good picture:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
183 Posts
roadie took the works right out of my mouth.....awsome pics.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
score one for me:rotfl:
I get cynical after hearing about crooked dealers and incompetent mechanics, I guess. :rolleyes:

But the members here are tremendous, since a pair of them got me home from Colorado when I was broken. :thumbsup:

Enjoy your score against The Roadie while you can, grasshopper. You never know when and how a Mod can strike back.......:tiphat :raspberry

·
Registered
425 Posts
I get cynical after hearing about crooked dealers and incompetent mechanics, I guess. :rolleyes:

But the members here are tremendous, since a pair of them got me home from Colorado when I was broken. :thumbsup:

Enjoy your score against The Roadie while you can, grasshopper. You never know when and how a Mod can strike back.......:tiphat :raspberry
i agree i crooked dealers and incompetent mechanics annoy me as well.i just got new 2 new tires put on the front of my GF's car(ford focus) like a week before she took to get an oil change last weekend and the mechanic rotated the brand new tires to the rear on a front wheel drive car.:bonk:

and i agree that members of this site are great my hat is off to them :tiphat:

·
Premium Member
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
99 Posts
Fabulous

Second or third that! Maybe even gazillionith! This is a great site and I've learned so much about my TB '02 (122,212).
The effort made by so many contributors, the pics and 'how tos', amazing.
Thanks all. changing brakes this Saturday and adjusting rear parking. This helped immensely. :woot:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I decided to do some service work on the parking brake and while doing so a steel pin 20mm a 5mm in diameter fell out of the adjuster screw assembly. I am looking at this thing and not exactly sure where it goes when I try to fit this back together. Does anyone know or have an exploded diagram of these bits. Thanks,

·
Registered
2004 non_gmt360 other
609 Posts
Just attempted to adjust my parking brake while I had my rotors off being cut. I had no Ebrake before the attempt.
According to my unreliable chiltons, to adjust the star screw, you must get it to where the pad just touches the rotor then back it off just enough so it dosent touch any more. Not like I would have any way to measure it but it reads that it has to have clearance between the lining surface of the shoe and the inside of the disc of 0.026-inch.
The process to get it there is as Roadie described. I did the exact process as described and I still have no ebrake. I experimented with the adjuster and the only way I could make the ebrake work was to have the pad lightly contact the surface of the shoe at all times. That seems like it would create heat and wear down the ebrake rather quickly.

Any thoughts on this ? There is just as much pad left on mine as Roadie has in his pix. I have a feeling the rotor is warped anyway. When I manually turned the rotor, I could hear the ebrake shoe start to scrape then stop making the scraping noise as it rotated then back to scrape as it was turned more. I had a shop cut the rotor today but they probably didn't check for warpage or egging that way.
Should the ebrake shoe be constantly contacting the rotor lightly? The other thing is, how many clicks on average should the ebrake be fully engaged at ? there are aproximately 12 clicks from release to fully up.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts