Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had springs installed a few years ago to drop the TB. I was under there installing new rotors/pads yesterday and I'm not sure they cut the bump stops.

Can I get a pic of either a cut or full bumpstop so I know what I'm looking at? Might explain bouncy ride I've had for a while if they didn't cut them off.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
thats how mine looks....buddy did my suspension and forgot to cut the bumpstops....that was 2yrs ago.....gf springs....i should get on with the cutting part....lol

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Toddster!! Ricky, I have GF as well. Do you know how much we're supposed to cut off?

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
front bump stops
cut 1 1/8" from the bottom of the bump stop(flat side) and mark all the way around

rear bump stops

measure 2 3/4" up from the bottom of the stock cell foam bump stop and mark all the way around

* using a fine toothed saw cut 2 3/4" off the bottom of the stock cell foam bump stop

install the trimmed cell foam bump stop back into the stock mount.
note: you may have to use the a flat head screwdriver to push the cell foam bump stop up over the stock mounting tabs

these are on the how to install instructions from the GF kit that I got....hope this helps you out...

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
it gets quite annoying when I hit a speed bump at slow speeds....feels like my suspension is falling apart...lol:crackup:...gotta get on these so called "bumpstops".......

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
great pic taken.....thats how my bumpstops look like......uncut.....lol

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
***UPDATE***

Finally went out today and cut the rear stops down. Took 5 minutes on each side. Took it for a test drive and I couldn't believe the difference. Wife even said it rode much better.

Still need to do the fronts, though. It appears I need to remove the complete shock assembly up front. Can anyone verify this?

If that's the case I'm bringing it back in to the shop that installed them and will explain they 'missed a step'.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bump

Double post...I know. Not going to apologize, though...do double posts actually hurt anybody :):)

Anyhow, can anyone verify if the fronts need to be trimmed. I mean, is it more imported for the backs to be trimmed? Also, is there any way to trim the fronts without pulling the whole shock assembly off?

Thanks.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
If I had to do the job, I'd go into the front through the sides of the coil springs, and whittle away at the bump stops with hacksaw blades or an Xacto knife or some other cutting tool. No way I'd disassemble a strut to get rid of a bit of soft plastic in there that can be cut out.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I had to do the job, I'd go into the front through the sides of the coil springs, and whittle away at the bump stops with hacksaw blades or an Xacto knife or some other cutting tool. No way I'd disassemble a strut to get rid of a bit of soft plastic in there that can be cut out.
Thank you Sir. I will try that. Is the bumpstop under that sliding plastic cover? I'm just wondering if I'll have to cut that thing off. Is it needed?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
It's not needed except to try to keep gunk off the shock shaft. But it makes it more difficult to keep the shaft clean from mud and dirt so many offroaders have taken them off already. I don't remember the drill for lowered struts - but do you just remove the bump stop altogether, or just make it shorter?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks to all who replied. It's like I just bought a new Cadillac! I hated these GF springs since I put them on 2 years ago and wondered how you all said lowering had a nice ride.

Trimmed rear and fronts to spec and whoo boy does this things ride nice!

Thanks again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts