Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a test light, mines in Michigan.

So my interior lights stopped working and i checked the fuse blocks and i couldn't find a fuse, im gonna try and see if i can find something at school but if anyone could help it would be very appreciated.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
In my experience, test lights are pretty much useless tools. You can't measure voltage on your battery for decent battery troubleshooting, so you need to own a a meter as well. You might as well get a $5 meter from Radio Shack or Harbor Freight and be done with it. Then you can check fuses while removed fromthe vehicle int he continuity/resistance mode of the meter.

Trailvoys are advanced vehicles with a lot of electrical gremlins. I can't recommend owning a meter strongly enough!

Which interior lights? All of them or just the dome lights? Is the radio off as well? What do you mean couldn't find a fuse - couldn't find a blown one?

Any work being done on the vehicle lately? Any jump starting activity? COuld you have blown your 125A megafuse?

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
Fuses 4 and 40 in rear fuse box.

Toss the lost test lamp and buy a digital volt meter.

A cheap one (under $20) is better than any rest lamp, and fun to use.

Everyone, that is a member of this forum, should have, and know how to use, a digital volt meter.

Well roadie, ya got there ahead of me again haha, but at least we think alike (I'm editing this, so I don't have access to the raspberry icon)

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trailvoys are advanced vehicles with a lot of electrical gremlins. I can't recommend owning a meter strongly enough!

Which interior lights? All of them or just the dome lights? Is the radio off as well? What do you mean couldn't find a fuse - couldn't find a blown one?

Any work being done on the vehicle lately? Any jump starting activity? COuld you have blown your 125A megafuse?
My meter and all my tools are at my house in Michigan. All the interiors are out. But what stumbs me is that everything seems to be working fine. I checked the fuse blocks diagrams and i couldn't find anythat were for the interiors and i checked a couple that could be for them and they were fine. I checked our program at school and i still couldn't come up with anything.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
The fuses for the interior lights are typically labeled "TBCxx" which stands for "Truck Body Controller" or what we usually call the BCM. There's nothing that says "dome" or "vanity" because that would be too easy.

Are the instrument panel and radio lights out? They could be considered "interior" or do you mean ONLY the reading, dome, and vanity visor lights?

I would guess TBC4, fuse 40, in the rear.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The fuses for the interior lights are typically labeled "TBCxx" which stands for "Truck Body Controller" or what we usually call the BCM. There's nothing that says "dome" or "vanity" because that would be too easy.

Are the instrument panel and radio lights out? They could be considered "interior" or do you mean ONLY the reading, dome, and vanity visor lights?

I would guess TBC4, fuse 40, in the rear.
yeah that would be easy haha.

i didn't know the BCM controls that, i'll go check on my next break which is in a little while and i'll let you know.

The radio and IP is working fine, all lights work on them.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,236 Posts
For those clicking in thinking that this thead is about electrical probes and meters, I'll submit this link...

The Power Probe is a MUST HAVE tool these days. Nothing else like it out there -- it is a wonder of diagnostic tools.

I HIGHLY recommend this tool (and FWIW, I also have almost every other tool known to man in my possession, including Fluke meters with all the hook-ups, Snap On scanners, etc. -- the Power Probe is all that and a bag of chips!).

I use the PP III. It allows for switching between ground and power, or continuity without changing the probe. That lets you check wire continuity, ground continuity, and also energize whatever you are trying to diagnose all from the same hook up without even pulling the probe from the terminal.

http://www.powerprobe.com/powerprobe/Home.html

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Very cool. Hadn't heard of that one. Thx! My favorite Fluke accessory is a Hall Effect clamp on AC/DC probe (Y8100) - perfect for tracking down those modules that refuse to go to sleep and cause milliamp parasitic drains.

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
As I said, in post 3, two fuses, 40 and 4.

So, help us out.

What lights do not work?

The courtesy (when you open the door).

The map/reading and vanity.

And, as MajesticLT03 asked, have you turned them off without knowing that you have?

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As I said, in post 3, two fuses, 40 and 4.

So, help us out.

What lights do not work?

The courtesy (when you open the door).

The map/reading and vanity.

And, as MajesticLT03 asked, have you turned them off without knowing that you have?

courtesy and no i haven't turned them off, they aren't coming on

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My bad RayVoy i didn't realize you said 4 and 40, i checked 4 and it was definatly blown, i appreciate all your guys help. it made it alot easier for me. sorry this sounded like i was an idiot or something.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.