Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if the 05 Nav system will work in 02-04 models? I love the one in my CTS V. I've seen the Pioneer AVIC go for around $2200 but I rather try to get something stock. I can even get use to a female voice giving me directions.

Dave

·
Banned
1,590 Posts
from what I've heard, it will NOT work in '02s, only '03+ with the Class 2 Data Bus on the headunit. Supposedly it's a direct plug'n'go install for these trucks. No Class 2 Bus, no go though.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Charlie,
Thanks! Any idea how much it costs? I may check at the dealer tomorrow.

Dave

·
Banned
1,590 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Dave said:
Anyone know if the 05 Nav system will work in 02-04 models? I love the one in my CTS V. I've seen the Pioneer AVIC go for around $2200 but I rather try to get something stock. I can even get use to a female voice giving me directions.

Dave
Dave, here is another option for you. I've got one of these, and they work great. It has a really good windshield mount bracket and has all the functionality that the $1500 units have. The best part is, I can take it from vehicle to vehicle, rental cars, or even in my boat.

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/4130963?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
9,380 Posts
02EnvoySLE Guy said:
I'd check eBay -- I've seen a few "take-off" units out of new TBs and Tahoe/Yukons going for ~$1,000 (though why you would remove such an awesome NAV unit for something aftermarket is beyond me).
Some of these take off units could be a little "warm" to the touch. :D

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
02EnvoySLE Guy said:
I'd check eBay -- I've seen a few "take-off" units out of new TBs and Tahoe/Yukons going for ~$1,000 (though why you would remove such an awesome NAV unit for something aftermarket is beyond me).

EDIT: Here's an example (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38653&item=7964726894&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW) hope this helps.
I noticed that it said BOSE on the display. Does the stock NAV unit require the stock BOSE SYSTEM. I know it is an intergrated piece except for the harness and speakers.

I asked my local Chevy Dealer and he checked and said "They are not available to the public".

The dash or windshield mounted ones are good. I like to have one that doesn't look like it is added on. The TB's window is also very short so I don't like having anything above the dash.

I'll research into that part # when I have some time later.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
02EnvoySLE Guy said:

EDIT: Here's an example (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38653&item=7964726894&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW) hope this helps.
I checked the price for this on gmparts and it was $1400 and change. The ebay seller's starting price is $799. Can someone that knows the back of the stock radio look at the pictures of the back of this unit to see if it is the same?

Well I'll probably wait a few months anyway since I just bought my CTS V.

·
Banned
1,590 Posts
Dave said:
I checked the price for this on gmparts and it was $1400 and change. The ebay seller's starting price is $799. Can someone that knows the back of the stock radio look at the pictures of the back of this unit to see if it is the same?

Well I'll probably wait a few months anyway since I just bought my CTS V.
you can check auctions on those stock radios from eBay; that should give a good comparison.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38640&item=7964489858&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is what I got from Ebay pictures.

The stock unit removed from an 02 Trailblazer.

Here is a Nav unit removed from an Escalade.

The main difference on the back looks like an additional plug on the Nav unit. Is this for the Bose system and what would not work if you don't have a Bose system.

Eventually, I think I will go with an aftermarket unit. You can get a back up camera intergrated with the unit from Pioneer. I heard you lose the steering wheel controls (Is it just the radio controls or DIC?)

My CTS V's NAV system really spoiled me. Now I don't want to buy a car without one again.

I may also still look at a portable unit, one that can be used for hiking such as the IPAQ3600.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think it'll be awhile before I do anything though.

Dave

·
Banned
1,590 Posts
Dave said:
The main difference on the back looks like an additional plug on the Nav unit. Is this for the Bose system and what would not work if you don't have a Bose system.
not from what I understand. If what I was reading is correct, that plug is for the antenna/"brains" of the GPS -- what allows the car to recieve it's location. I think it ties into the OnStar system, but don't quote me.

And, if it ties into Onstar, the '02s with analog-only OnStar may not be compatible for that reason alone. Who knows.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It looks like a great system. With a back up camera and CD changer it is over $3100.

I think if I do buy a GPS for the TB, it will just be portable. But I would like to get a decent back up camera which runs around $500, the portable Nav system would be another $600 so the price gets up there pretty quick.

Maybe the price will drop. I know I'll always get a NAV system from now on.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
528 Posts
wow

The 2000 dollar one looks nice, has anyone here purchased one??? Dont know if i would want to invest 2 grand. How is everyone's luck with the aftermarket one's like you can get at best buy and mount to the dash, ?? saw several for 800 or so, are they worth it???

·
Registered
233 Posts
sallen said:
The 2000 dollar one looks nice, has anyone here purchased one??? Dont know if i would want to invest 2 grand. How is everyone's luck with the aftermarket one's like you can get at best buy and mount to the dash, ?? saw several for 800 or so, are they worth it???
I've seen one in a friend's vehicle, and it sure takes up a LOT of top dash space. :eek:

I still prefer my portable window mount version.

·
Registered
17 Posts
sallen said:

I have had the Garmin 2620 since last may, paid $950 dollars for it back than, don't know what it goes for now but I will say it is the best investment I have ever made with my truck. I'm not sure which one XTREEME saw that took up alot of dash space but this one imo doesnt take up much room at all. Can also take this one in any other vehicle you want, comes with a bean bag mount that doesnt move on dash. Very convenient to move it and bring it along in any vehicle. Hasn't failed me yet.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
114 Posts
sallen said:
I used to have the Garmin dash mounted GPS. It was very nice, but didn't give me that stock, integrated look I was wanting. I went ahead and ordered the Kenwood DDX7015 with the DV4100 GPS.

The benefits of the 4100 are that it is totally integrated with the in-dash unit and tied in with the car (for dead reckoning). In addition, it has 5 times as many points of interest as the Garmin.

The cons of the 4100 are: It's price. (very expensive) And, it's not portable.

The benefits of the Garmin are: Price, very good interface, portability, accurate.

Cons of the Garmin: Not integrated, will always look out of place. Expensive yearly software updates.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts