Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2009 non_gmt360 other
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rescue personnel work at scene of a McDonald's restaurant in Window Rock, Arizona where a Naperville couple, Russell and Carolyn Janke, were injured when the restaurant's sign crashed onto their sport-utility vehicle. (Photo by Emerson Notah / April 15, 2009)

A McDonald's sign in Arizona toppled off its pedestal Wednesday, severely injuring a Naperville couple who had stopped for lunch, police and relatives said.

Russell and Carolyn Janke were driving back to Naperville after spending the winter in Arizona when they stopped about 12:30 p.m. at a McDonald's in Window Rock, Ariz., said their son, Rick.

Acting Navajo Nation Police Chief Steve Nelson said winds in the area Wednesday "were probably 60 m.p.h.-plus."As the couple sat in their vehicle in the parking lot, the golden arches fell, crushing their Chevy Trailblazer.

The couple were taken to the Indian Health Service in Fort Defiance, Ariz. When the winds died down, Carolyn Janke, 69, was taken to St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center in Phoenix.

Russell Janke, 72, suffered a laceration to his head but was alert and able to communicate with authorities, Nelson said. He was in fair condition, his son said. Carolyn Janke was knocked unconscious and suffered a fractured spinal column and sternum, her son said. She was in critical condition, her son said.

Rick Janke said he was "stunned" after learning of the accident about 5 p.m. Wednesday and was trying to catch a flight to Arizona.

Russell, a retired engineer, and Carolyn Janke had raised three children in Naperville. The couple have spent winters in Arizona since the 1990s, their son said.

Nelson said high winds had been gusting across the reservation for the last three weeks, but authorities had not gotten any reports of similar incidents.

"It's a freak accident," he said.
That'll buff out.

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
967 Posts
Saw this on the news this morning. Bizarre accident to say the least. Another reason for not liking high winds. I hope she comes out of it OK. Fractured spinal column. :ugh:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
8,770 Posts
How many times can you use the phrase "...their son said" :duh:

Really sad though. But i'm sure that if they were in an import SUV, they'd be much worse...

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
118 Posts
Very bad.....Mcdonalds going pay them out big... I really hope they both come out alright.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
OUCH! I've been there before and it is usually windy. I agree that they would be dead if that was a import SUV or even a crossover.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,733 Posts
Bless her heart I hope she makes it OK as for the spine damage I can certainly relate and she is in for some serious re-hab.:iagree:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts