Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Trailblazer LT
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the left side of the engine, sorta half way down, if you reach below the metal power steering lines and towards the front of the engine there is one maybe two rubber hoses or lines that you can easily move by hand. They're pretty much out of sight from above and below but can be seen if you know what you're looking for from under the truck. Any ideas what they are? Even a guess might be helpful. I got a leak of something in that area and below it and this hose is about as high as it goes. Wondering if this might be the source. I looked through some engine diagrams but came up with nothing...so...HELP?

·
Registered
2007 Trailblazer LT
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried but with it being so dark, awkward, and such a mess of oil or fluid I got nothing but blurred nothingness from photo attempts. Are there any really detailed diagrams around showing all the lines and hoses?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
224 Posts
Go to www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com and select the make, year, model, etc. and navigate your way to the A/C and heating area and a whole lot of diagrams will appear. Select the one(s) that are for your model and options (RPO codes). You will likely need to look at the options sticker that I think is on the inside door of your glove box.

·
Registered
2007 Trailblazer LT
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Found this pic here on the forums so credit goes to John:

What is the hose indicated by the yellow arrow?

·
Registered
2007 Trailblazer LT
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, thanks. That is the rubber hose I was asking about previously. The leaking fluid is no higher than this. Nothing coming from this hose, but its obviously from something down at that level. Since I have a new rack and lines, I'm wondering if it's something from one of those connections or maybe from the rack itself. The cup seals are quite tricky from what I hear and the leak is quite slow. I cannot pinpoint any leak source and the fluid doesn't pool, it just builds up on the underside with the occasional droplet forming. If I park on the level, nothing really shows up on the ground at all, but parked downward it leaves a few dots here and there. The removable plates that sit under the rack are usually quite wet as well, just as they were when I had the replacement installed.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
224 Posts
The transfer case has nothing to do with power steering - it is for four wheel drive. It can be thought of as the front differential.

The cup seals are really not that bad to replace. What is bad is wrestling the new lines in place when the power steering lines need to be replaced (I did this job just over a year ago).

Getting access to the steering rack is much better when the driver's side front tire is removed. Then one can uses some socket extensions to remove and install the bolt that holds the two power steering fluid lines into the steering rack by going through some openings in the frame.

Finding a leak in that region involves doing a thorough cleaning using something like brake clean, and then adding uV dye to the power steering fluid, running the engine and turning the steering rack several times in order for the fluid to circulate, and then using a black light to find the source of the leak.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
184 Posts
Just a small terminology adjustment here..... This is a transfer case. It bolts to the rear end of the transmission.

transfer_case.jpg

Here is a front differential. It bolts to the drivers side of the oil pan...

unnamed.jpg

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
184 Posts
I would hate to see someone buying a transfer case when they needed a front differential!! ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts