Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2008 chevy
129 Posts
Frank, I know the well nuts have what looks like, brass inserts inside. Do you think after the initial torque to tighten, the rubber stretched and then made it loose with a little time or, do you beleive the screws themselves backed out? If it's the screws backing out, you may try some "light" thread lock.

Cycletron, I think I just didn't tighten them up enough when I put them on. I re-tightened and it's more secure, but even with it tight it's not as secure as I'd like.
I'll re-check and see in a couple days, I think I will use your idea and put a little thread lock on them.

Did you get yours on yet?

Happy Motoring,

Frank

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Well I saw this thread again last week and called around to see if I could find one of the old integrated ones (12497618) and found there are exactly 2 left in the USA. Called a dealer in WI about one last week, said it was already claimed by a local customer for a repair. Just got off the phone with the other dealer in NY, ordered it immediately when the guy said I have it here in my hands. Paying 107+tax&ship, so probably about $130 when all is said and done.

So Ive got the last one of these from any dealer inventory in the country on its way to me!! :woot::woot: ready to get it painted and installed on the SS, cant wait to not have to deal with all the road grime on the rear window!

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
1 Posts
FNG question....

We pull an enclosed trailer (motorcycles) with our TBSS and get a nasty vibration from 45mph to 65mph before it smooths out. I suspect it is turbulance and was wondering if the rear air deflector would do anything to reduce this effect.

Would appreciate your inputs/advice on what I can do for this.

Cheers,

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
28 Posts
I have a brand new rear air deflector with cutout for the 3:rd brakelight that I bought when I got the rest of the bodyparts 5 years ago. I also have a new brushed alu 3-D Trailblazer dashkit from Woodwiew. A nice and clean 2006 LT TB-grille would be interesting to trade with.

·
Registered
2005 chevy
39 Posts
Rear deflector

OK ..Browns GM parts in Dawson Creek just got back to me with a part number for my 05 TB EXT LT.
This is the OEM with 3rd light.Ordered to be here end of next week from ONT.
Canadian part # 17800712. This complete kit is Guaranteed to fit.
IT BETTER!:hissy:
Price 123.00 plus all gov tax add ons.

·
Registered
2005 chevy
39 Posts
Rear deflector

Have you got pictures?:)

:thx

I have a brand new rear air deflector with cutout for the 3:rd brakelight that I bought when I got the rest of the bodyparts 5 years ago. I also have a new brushed alu 3-D Trailblazer dashkit from Woodwiew. A nice and clean 2006 LT TB-grille would be interesting to trade with.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
6 Posts
Rear window deflector on 03 Envoy XL

Does anyone know where I can find the replacement part for the rear window deflector on a 03 Envoy XL?

·
Registered
2007 chevy
8 Posts
continued confusing regarding the gm rear air deflector

Hi all!! I know this thread is old, but can anyone explain (or show pictures), what the difference is between the “Old” GM oem rear air deflector listed as part #12497618 and the replacement part number (17800651); which is described as a flat blade of transparent smoked plastic with a dent along the one edge to REVEAL the third brake light in the OEM location??? Also, does anyone recommend adding this on not adding this on a TBSS?

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Hi all!! I know this thread is old, but can anyone explain (or show pictures), what the difference is between the “Old” GM oem rear air deflector listed as part #12497618 and the replacement part number (17800651); which is described as a flat blade of transparent smoked plastic with a dent along the one edge to REVEAL the third brake light in the OEM location??? Also, does anyone recommend adding this on not adding this on a TBSS?
You cant buy the old style one new anymore, I called around the country and snagged the last one last year. (At least everywhere I called said this dealer had the last 2 and 1 was earmarked for a replacement already)

I need to get mine painted first, not putting a black spoiler on my white SS. Id recommend it, if you can get the Lund one Id say get that over the new oem style.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
65 Posts
To all that have this wing?

Does this wing help keep the dirt from accumulating on the back?? I was going to make a wing/deflector or find another that doesn't look like crap but didn't want to spend too much time & $ if it didn't keep the rear clean(er).
Thanks

·
Registered
2008 chevy
129 Posts
I would say it helps slightly, you can notice there is no rain on the window when you are traveling along at highway speeds and it's raining.

I did post pictures of the new style earlier in the post,

Frank

·
Registered
chevy
1 Posts
You all remember the deflectors on the back of vans and station wagons in the 70's. This is the same deal, most people think of them only as a way to keep the rear window clean, but another factor is MPG. By "filling" the vacuum that is normally left behing the moving truck, the pressure differnece is reduce, front to back, and hence drag is reduced and MPG could increase.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
1 Posts
Rear Air Deflector

I Have a new Gm 12497618 in the box. Bought for my 2002 Trailblazer in 3/2002. Never installed it. If you live in Charlotte area and are interested, contact me at [email protected].

Guys, I spent a great deal of effort resolving some of this mystery, so I thought I'd share the information I have after finding and installing one.

The GM Rear Air Deflector shown on the "accessories" web page DOES exist (Part #12497618), but is no longer recognized by their Parts Department.

This item has been discontinued and the replacement part number (17800651) is the flat blade of transparent smoked plastic with a dent along the one edge to REVEAL the third brake light in the OEM location.

See this thread for more info :http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=22013&highlight=rear+air+deflector&page=5

There are some good installed pictures of both (Page 2 - new) (Page 5 - old)

Once I found the old part number (12497618), I called several dealers until I found one still setting on the shelf. They were glad to sell it (free shipping)

ANYWAY here are some details on how this thing installs:

First it is molded to closely match the third brake light applicade and comes with a plug to RELOCATE the third brake light reflector.

The instructions are very easy to follow and walk you through the REMOVAL of the OEM reflector and RELOCATION on the deflector arms and plugging the orignal reflector hole.

COMPLETED PHOTOS

HATCH CLOSED

HATCH OPEN

The integration of the OEM reflector INTO the rear air deflector really disguises this aftermarket modification and would easily pass any vehicle inspection.

As far an "functional", it does an incrediable job of reducing the amount of "road spray". Even at city speeds (<30mph) virtually no mist accumulates on the rear window. This greatly contributes to a cleaner rear end. No dust, so no need for washer fluid that eliminates mud trails down the gate.

For what it's worth I am very pleased with this mod but be prepared to do a lot of footwork yourself. My dealership wouldn't even help locate the part. They can't order it anymore and that was that...

BTW: Sorry for the pictures. It is winter here and my truck in embarrasing dirty all the time.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts