Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I spent a great deal of effort resolving some of this mystery, so I thought I'd share the information I have after finding and installing one.

The GM Rear Air Deflector shown on the "accessories" web page DOES exist (Part #12497618), but is no longer recognized by their Parts Department.

This item has been discontinued and the replacement part number (17800651) is the flat blade of transparent smoked plastic with a dent along the one edge to REVEAL the third brake light in the OEM location.

See this thread for more info :http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=22013&highlight=rear+air+deflector&page=5

There are some good installed pictures of both (Page 2 - new) (Page 5 - old)

Once I found the old part number (12497618), I called several dealers until I found one still setting on the shelf. They were glad to sell it (free shipping)

ANYWAY here are some details on how this thing installs:

First it is molded to closely match the third brake light applicade and comes with a plug to RELOCATE the third brake light reflector.

The instructions are very easy to follow and walk you through the REMOVAL of the OEM reflector and RELOCATION on the deflector arms and plugging the orignal reflector hole.

COMPLETED PHOTOS

HATCH CLOSED

HATCH OPEN

The integration of the OEM reflector INTO the rear air deflector really disguises this aftermarket modification and would easily pass any vehicle inspection.

As far an "functional", it does an incrediable job of reducing the amount of "road spray". Even at city speeds (<30mph) virtually no mist accumulates on the rear window. This greatly contributes to a cleaner rear end. No dust, so no need for washer fluid that eliminates mud trails down the gate.

For what it's worth I am very pleased with this mod but be prepared to do a lot of footwork yourself. My dealership wouldn't even help locate the part. They can't order it anymore and that was that...

BTW: Sorry for the pictures. It is winter here and my truck in embarrasing dirty all the time.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
8,770 Posts
That looks badass! I wonder if it would help cut down the dirt build up on the back :undecided

·
Registered
2006 chevy
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found it at a dealer in IL shipped to IN for $109.

I have had it on for 1 1/2 years without any problem. The third brake light housing that is more exposed than OEM placement has not shown any signs of moisture.

and YES it virtually eliminates the dust that accumulates on the lift gate.

Glad you like it!

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali
5 Posts
More Options for Rear Air Deflectors

If you want to deviate a bit from GM, Lund Int. has a few good options for this aftermarket mod. More aggressive probably for some. I hope to find one soon for an 06 Denali.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Example of How "well" it works...

I ran through the car wash today then ran around town.

This is the result of 30 mins city driving followed by 15 minutes highway on snow/salt/wet roads.

(click pic for larger image)

Doesn't protect the lift gate, BUT it does keep the glass clean enough that I rear wiper is not needed.

PS There is a slight wind noise @120 that becomes a pretty good whistle above 130, BUT it didn't fly off! :)

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali
5 Posts
Yea the GM deflector looks the best. I am looking for one, just gottat decide if I want to keep it black or go silver. Thanks for the pix !

·
Registered
2006 chevy
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd vote Silver...I like how the lines blend into the truck and a color shift will give it some pop, unless that's the effect you are looking for?

You can barely see, but prototype SS's rear wing was body color ;) and even Silver :yes:

Hope you can find one! It's a big country. Seems like there would be at least one somewhere if you are patient enough to find it?

Good Luck. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali
5 Posts
I assume that the deflectors on the SS pix will fit a 06 Envoy Denali ? Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ehhh...

Almost...

Got it...

This was never in production, but gives you an idea of the color match...

AND Now, If you have an Envoy, the 3rd brake light applicade is probably ALREADY black. So this is more what you would be looking at...
AND So I change my vote to leave it Black. Cheaper too...

And YES, this was the Envoy part# 12497618 that fits both our rides.

These guys claim to have one, BUT I'd CALL or you might get the replacement part that is just a flat blade.

https://www.1stchevyparts.com/catalog/product_reviews.php/cPath/55_78_109/products_id/259
http://72.249.75.24/PD-12497618.aspx?MakeID=6

Hope some this helps. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
363 Posts
HATCH CLOSED

Just bought one for my EXT. Manual says and shows that the rear deflector should be installed the opposite way shown above for it to properly function, which I think makes the truck look HIDEOUS!. Looks too much like a ''spoiler'' if I follow the manual. Then again I can't install it the way you did because the EXT has this ''hump'' that prevents me from installing it the way you did. :(

·
Registered
2006 chevy
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
INTERESTING...

I'll take another look. Maybe that's just an EXT thing.

As I remember the "feet" can only mount one way over the little bump and then the holes on the "blade" only alligned the way I have it.

Just 4 screws; I'll go find out if it can be flipped over and take a new pic to show it both ways.

Never seen one on a EXT! Got a PIC?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Couldn't get my rear deflector installed today. Dealer mechanic said it would just rip the third brake light housing off. Got my refund.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
YEP,

That's the 17800712 (EXT version of the 17800651) which is the "blade with DENT" that mounts OVER the third brake light.

It would like fine installed. It's just different than mine.

You'll need the EXT version of 12497618 which has a HOLE for the third brake light to be integrated INTO the wing by relocating it to mount directly onto the lift feet. (comes with plug to seal opening of the removed reflector)

Reflector mounted to feet with plug in OEM location.

With Blade mounted with reflector filling hole in blade

It will be a bit of a treasure hunt to find the discontinued Part#, but you'll have a very unique TB if you can find it!

I'll keep this on my list of surfing and I'll post back if I find the EXT part #.

Good Hunting!

·
Registered
363 Posts
It will be a bit of a treasure hunt to find the discontinued Part#, but you'll have a very unique TB if you can find it!
I'll keep this on my list of surfing and I'll post back if I find the EXT part #.
Good Hunting!
Appreciate the great tips and effort man. :thumbsup: --- but the one I bought and returned was the only R/Deflector for my '06 they had listed in the dealer's parts department. Did they really make an EXT version of the R/Deflector that you're describing?

SilverUnicorn said:
SO Confused!!!
What would I need for this to work on a 2006 TB LS SWB?
I really like the look, but want to get (or try to get) the right parts.
Thanks!
Chris
After seeing this topic, all I did was run to the dealer and ordered mine through their parts department. They gave me a LUND one at first which used 3M stick-on tape.

Cost me about $150 (with tax) -- Didn't fit my EXT so I ordered a GM made one specifically for the EXT model. Ran me about $130. Couldn't get that one installed neither. :hopeless

·
Registered
2006 chevy
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What would I need for this to work on a 2006 TB LS SWB?
The old part number (12497618), I called several dealers until I found one still setting on the shelf. They were glad to sell it (free shipping)

All mounting hardware and instructions were included (see first post)

Good Hunting...

1 - 20 of 57 Posts