Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

My tranny cooler hook up with pics

128K views 137 replies 61 participants last post by  ALI-6000 
#1 ·
This is what I did. I was looking on here for info on installing one, got the info so I felt comfy and hopefully this will help someone else out who's trying to figure it out

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
It's a place called Parts Source here in Ontario. It was $89.99 and it is made by/distributed by Mister Transmission as a kit with tubing, brackets, etc. and is described on box as:

Professional - Grade Automatic Transmission Cooler

The compression fitting I purchased seperately cause I figured they'd work out better for me.

#3 ·
Nice job with the compression fittings and running in series with the radiator. I have an 04 TB that I have been towing a 4,500 pound trailer with and plan to install a cooler this spring. Granted I do not tow a lot, nor in hills. This leads me to a few questions:

Have you changed the fluid since you've owned it?
How big is the cooler you installed?
Did you install a trans temp gauge?

Thanks again for the pictures the way you plumbed it is is very professional. I was just going to cut the line and clam the hoses but this is way better.

#4 ·
Have you changed the fluid since you've owned it?
How big is the cooler you installed?
Did you install a trans temp gauge?
Thanks for the kind words:)

To answer your questions:

1) I just got the Rainier last year but changed the tranny fluid at 80,000 Km just because I knew I'd be towing with it.

2) The size is 7 1/4 X 11 X 3/4. It's a stacked plate type of tranny cooler and it's rated for 18,000 lbs combined weight.

3) No I didn't install the tranny temp gauge just because to be honest, as long as I know the tranny cooler is working( and I checked and double checked it) I don't really care what the temp is as long as it's not over heating

#9 ·
Ya but, he lives in London Ontario, which can get very cold in the winter.

Check the "trans cooler needed" thread (about 1 wk ago)where you want to keep a mininum temperature of the tranny fluid when it is cold outside (180*F to190*F, posts 8 and 9). So that post recommended to go Tranny>cooler>rad(so the fuild warms up)>back to tranny. This is for colder climates.

Steve L.

#12 ·
Instructions said that it is to be installed tranny>Rad>cooler>tranny so I did.

I think that the previous post mentioned regarding colder weather also mentioned something about an internal thermal device that would not run the fluid unless tranny was up to temp to begin with.

Also mentioned was that a stacked plate type of cooler would bypass the plates and run back down in cold weather.

Yes I live in London, yes it's in Canada and it gets cold but not as cold as some of you think. London is actually south of Minnesota and is surrounded by the Great Lakes.

#16 ·
Yes I live in London, yes it's in Canada and it gets cold but not as cold as some of you think. London is actually south of Minnesota and is surrounded by the Great Lakes.
I go relatively close to you everytime i drive home to visit my parents. i live in Michigan, basically straight west of you, and my parents live in NY south of Buffalo, so I cut across Ontario.

#15 ·
I installed one last fall, but I am pretty sure I had the the sequence Trans>Aux>Rad>Trans.

I had the assumption that cooler trans oil would result in cooler Antifreeze due to cooler oil flowing through the Radiator. Correct me if I wrong, I will crawl under the Rainier to see if this is in fact the way I ran it.

#18 ·
The pictures of this set up requires the tubing to be cut.

I thought there are kits that have fittings that fit right into the rad and onto the tubing so nothing has to be cut and can be easily put back to original.

Also, I thought that these kits had stainless braided hoses rather than bare rubber.

Steve L.

#19 ·
The kit pcm4less sells has nice stainless hoses and all and custom brackets to fit in and all, but its also alot more expensive, most of the guys on here purchase the aux cooler itslef and have to do a little extra work to hook up, but alot cheaper

#21 ·
This is how I did mine too. But I didn't use 90 degree fittings, kept them straight. I felt they were too restrictive. I installed in the line from the trans a sender for my temp gauge. And I put a plastic cover over the cooler during the winter. I've done this on all my RV's, and trucks that tow.

#22 ·
Looks awsome.....piece of advice is to put something between the lines that are touching the bottom of the radiator tank. Over time they will vibrate and rub causing premature failure. Had it happen to me a work. A simple and free fix is to use some larger / old raditor hose, cut it to length, slit it , slide it between the two and zip tie it in place. An old inner tube will work the same way. :m2::thumbsup:

#24 ·
I just finish a PCMForLess install. It wasn't as easy as they billed. I ended up just about taking the front end apart to get the cooler installed. Perhaps it isn't necessary to remove the plastic front shroud and the bumper, but this made drop the radiator skid plate to access the transmission lines much easier. It took me about 4 hours. Not bad for never having idone a transmission cooler installation. I was very intimidated at first when my front end didn't look like the pictures and almost quit when I realized I'd have to try to get and the bolts for the skid plate to even see the tranny lines. The cooler is very sturdy and of good quality. I don't have to worry about a stray rock punching a hole in it. All in all I'd say it is worth the extra money.

#25 ·
Here's a bit of info for people debating the whole "before" or "after" the original cooler. Take it for what it's worth.

Tru-Cool LPD Transmission cooler kits

# Medium Duty 3/4 thick coolers
# Tru-Cool self-regulating coolers - it is the oil that regulates the cooler.
# Thicker oil that is below the ideal operating temperature bypasses the cooler through the upper two plates. When the temperature rises, it becomes thin enough to pass through the entire cooler. TRU-COOL's superior heat transfer is efficient & automatic.
# For use with 5/16 & 3/8 transmission cooler lines only.
# Includes standard installation kit shown on bottom of this page.
# *Some late model cooler applications may require additional fittings when installing a cooler kit.

This came from the following link:

http://www.transmissioncoolers.us/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=tru-cool-thin

#26 ·
Many thanks for the pics of your install. I have had a Tru-Cool sitting in the garage for a couple of months ready to install in the 06 Envoy. I am planning on doing exactly what you have done except for the straight connectors instead of 90 degree ones. I too have read and believe you go tranny-rad-cooler-tranny. I unfortunately do live in a cold climate -40C during the winter sometime. I choose the Tru-Cool (24000 lb capacity) for the auto temp sensing bypass. I have run tranny coolers on all my vehicles for 30 years with no winter protection except for a winter cover on a 76 GMC 3/4 ton van. That vehicle has 500,000 MILES on it and the original transmission (it is getting somewhat loose though). I also put an auxiliary spin on filter in line with the cooler so I could change the filter every year. My 95 Jimmy SLT got killed on road with over 260,000 km on it. Maintenance equals long life. I would put a cooler on any vehicle I own whether it tows or not, cheap insurance for cooler running vs tranny repairs.

#28 ·
I used the straps and mounted it to the main frame along where the hood latch is mounted. This left about a 1" - 1 1/2" gap between the aux cooler and the rad which I believe is the best way to install it. The consensus seems to be the staps will saw through your rad fins over time and cause damage.

#31 ·
In and out are running vertical straight down to OEM lines. I may be wrong but I really don't think it matters as the fluid is pumped down the line so it'll go up and across or across and up. The bypass is built into the cooler and is kinda self regulating either way.

The coolers don't have or at least mine didn't have an in/out or up/down reference on the cooler itself of the instructions

#34 ·
Thanks for the post pepdav definitely a good price on a Trans. cooler. just my :m2: but I would switch out the elbows & get braided line rubber will blowout sooner or later...& maybe screening in front of the cooler, years ago, on the road, I had a small rock poke a hole in my Rad. (scoutII), so it Does happen! at least to me anyways:hissy::rolleyes:

#50 ·
I just added the Tru Cool 4490 which is 12 x 11 x 3/4". I mounted it using 3 of the metal strips that come with it. It sits on the passanger side with the fittings facing down. Part of it extends below the bumper. I will take some pix and post here. Will do this while replacing my fan clutch as it is bad. New one on order from Summit (Hayden).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.