Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

121 - 138 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_sle
42 Posts
OK so once the hard line is cut, how much tranny fluid can i expect to come out of both sides? This install can be done with just cutting a section out of the hardline or does the hardline need to be removed all together tdo cut/install fittings?

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
1 Posts
I have never covered any of the coolers I have had on any vehicle. With the bypass this should work very well here in Canada.

The 4589 is 1 1/2" thick that is why I used it. The depth wasn't a problem as you can see from the pics. If you look closely you might be able to see where I had to trim the plastic in the top left hand corner. It was only a 1/2" piece about the depth of the cooler. I also used rubber standoffs that are about 1/2" inch thick to mount the cooler which added to the thickness of the cooler. The outside dimensions of the cooler fit the hole on the drivers side very nicely as you can see. The grill is very easy to remove so I would suggest that you take it off (directions on this web site) and physically measure the area you want to mount the cooler in just to check before you buy one.

Good luck, it is not a difficult install.
I am new to the site and am looking at installing one of these coolers. What did you use to cut the plastic and did you have to remove the plastic to cut it?

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
66 Posts
Get as big as you can

I had a Tru-cool 4454 installed in October 2010. Worked OK in the ON>AZ trip in January 2011, and the return AZ>ON trip in early April.

But it didn't work so well in the ON>AZ in January 2012. Had to stop a couple of times in the Organ Mountains in NM East of Las Cruces as trans temps were in the 225F range.

In the return trip from AZ>ON in April 2012, it was terrible ! Day temperatures were above normal for the time of year. Had to stop a number of times, or drive at 45mph on the Interstate for the tranny to stay cool. Sometimes we couldn't drive at all in the afternoon, it was too hot. Pulling the trailer of course (GVWR 3150lbs).

Now wondering what to do in preparation for next years trip.

Suggestions ??

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_sle
42 Posts
OK so once the hard line is cut, how much tranny fluid can i expect to come out of both sides? This install can be done with just cutting a section out of the hardline or does the hardline need to be removed all together tdo cut/install fittings?
To answer my own questions... I just jumped in and picked up one of those off the shelf coolers at Advance auto, small thumb wheel pipe cutters at the local HD, 3/8 fittings and cut the hard line (driver side). Had about a teaspoon or so of tranny fluid drip out while hooking up the hoses. I jacked up my wrists pretty good ( nice matching scars now) reaching in the tight areas securing the zip strips up behind the radiator to hold the cooler in place and snaking up the hoses from under. I added back about 1/4 bottle or so of tranny fluid to compensate for any lost fluid and added capacity of the lines and cooler. took it for a 2 mi spin (with grill off) and returned to check for leaks. found none. Checked back the next AM and found a slight drip on a 3/8 fitting I put on (made sure I put teflon tape at install) and snugged it up some more but could feel any tighter I will end up stripping it out and have to re-cut etc..and do it all over again. (I think this leak was from the initial heat cycle) I have checked regularly and have not see any since that final snug-up. I have towed my camper on a few trips and can tell the difference....well worth the upgrade and scars. All in all about a 2hr job to get things right.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
20 Posts
Thanks for the pics, my TruCool is on it's way so these will be very helpful. I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced any negative engine cooling or a/c side effects from having another cooler in front preheating the air.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
15 Posts
This may be a dumb question but I just installed the cooler and my rad coolant drained out alot!!!!!
This is supposed to be trans fluid draining out of rad only right on the bottom of the rad ???
So scared I have coolant in my trans !
Any help would be much appreciated I'm sick to my stomach

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_sle
42 Posts
Did you removed the actual fitting into the radiator core? When I did mine I just cut the hard line (tranny fluid) and rotated it some to attatch the hoses to the tranny cooler. pretty sure the tranny line runs inside the raidator surrounded by coolant and if that fittig is removed/compromised, yes rad fluid will be coming out. Get it back together yet?

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
102 Posts
Which trans line is the line going back towards the transmission? This is the line you would want to connect your aftermarket cooler lines to am I correct?

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1 Posts
I have a leak at this fitting, what do you all suggest is the issue?! Thanks!
Hello All,

I am new to posting on this site but have used the threads here more then once to fix issues on my TB.

I also have this same leak.

Before I pop the line off at the rad I wonder if I need a new o-ring or what? It only drips there and happened after I cut out some factory hard line because it was rusted and had pin hole leaks.

I hope someone can point me to a thread to fix this or what parts I need to fix this.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1 Posts
Change Anti-Freeze Cap?

Im gonna install one on my TB, do any of you know if it will change the amount and anti-freeze i would have to run (more pipes to flow through)?

:thx

·
Registered
2009 saab 9_7x
89 Posts
Im gonna install one on my TB, do any of you know if it will change the amount and anti-freeze i would have to run (more pipes to flow through)?

Chip,

You do not have to do anything with the anti freeze, it is not impacted by an aux trans cooler.

You will have to add transmission fluid and the amount will vary based upon the size of the cooler you install.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
55 Posts
This has been a very informative thread to advise how to install a trans cooler.

The one thing I haven't seen explained (could of missed it), is how does that
+/- three inch adapter connect to the transmission fitting? I prefer not to cut the fluid line.

It seems that the stock connector will stay on the trans line so you would just slide it back and push the new rubber hose over the barbed end.

Do I go buy a new connector and spring to use on the trans end of the adaptor?

(OOPS, JUST REALIZE I'VE RESURECTED AN OLD THREAD, THOUGHT THE PREVIOUS DATE WAS 2016 INSTEAD OF 2015)

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
64 Posts
Sry Mate , since you did the dirty deed and no one incinerated you im hopin for some luck to

this is how my transmission cooler looked when I set it up in 2009

last week the rubber hose slipped off and dumped my fluid. -20C outside wanted it done as I couldnt...
The first (wallet mechanic) wanted to swap transmissions
I ran like hell
The second mechanic trashed my t-cooler said I don't need it , even though I tow boats , replaced both oem tranny lines ,
gotta make it profitable right and did not even attempt to replace the rubber lines that may have burst.

why do I do my own work ? guest
even the " mouthy good mechanic" charged me 700.00

at least my transmission works nicely

see on the left the brass fixings. This was an "Innie" Tcooler as I\m in colder climes. Worked for 5 years so lads check your clamps !!

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
1 Posts
can i install trans cooler with out cutting the original lines if there are fittings please give me the link

121 - 138 of 138 Posts