Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

101 - 120 of 138 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006 gmc envoy_denali
861 Posts
I had a Tru-cooler installed today by AAMCO. He told me it was good for pulling 18,000 lb trailer. It looks like the #4454. Since I'll only be pulling 4,000lb max, this seems overkill, but according to other posts, this doesn't seem to matter.

It looks like he's he plumbed it tranny > rad > cooler > tranny. But does it matter for me, since April to December I drive in Toronto-Ottawa area, then Jan to end March, I drive in Arizona ?

:undecided
The cooler ratings are for gross vehicle weight (total of truck, trailer and all the
gear you haul). Typically the more the better as heat is a transmission killer. You also have the sequence correct the cooler is last in line before going back to the tranny. I run mine in Saskatchewan winters and it runs just fine. I like the Tru-Cool since they bypass the cooler when the fluid gets a little cool and open up to cool hot fluid. Remember getting stuck in snow can heat a transmission up really fast.

Your setup should work good in both climates.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
9 Posts
I did a very similar setup on my Voy, but I didn't have a pre-existing cooler bracket like the one shown earlier. I installed the biggest Imperial Maxi-Kool XL unit (11" x 11-5/8" x 3/4") and used a double-flaring tool to create the bulges at the ends of the steel lines for the hose to fit over. The hose clamps aren't the prettiest, but they're tight and no leaks.

Just make sure the hoses don't lay against the finned power steering fluid cooler...I cut my hand on that thing a few times while feeding the hoses down past it. Strap them away and/or add some plastic flex wrap around them.

I did trim the back edge of the front grille about 3/4" to make room for the cooler and the bracket is currently made of aluminum to make it easy to adjust to fit. I plan on going back and fashioning a steel bracket...someday...when I have time...after finishing all my other little projects...you know how it goes.

·
Banned
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_lt
5,895 Posts
in my 02 i cut and flared the stock return line. 4 years no issues or leaks.

Now its time to do it in my SS and i got the PCM4Less quick connect adapters, its going to be pretty as a peach.

went with a BMM cooler with a fan since i'm putting it in the brake duct area and not in front of the radiator
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-70298/

Attachments

·
Banned
5,895 Posts
figured i'd update now that i finished my trans cooler install with my home made brackets.

step 1: cardboard templates
step 2: cut metal, work out the kinks, paint
step 3: done.

like i said this is the b&m cooler with temp sensor and fan hence the wire loom. used pcm4less QR fittings, easy peasy

Attachments

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
37 Posts
Line fitting seal?

in my 02 i cut and flared the stock return line. 4 years no issues or leaks.

Now its time to do it in my SS and i got the PCM4Less quick connect adapters, its going to be pretty as a peach.

went with a BMM cooler with a fan since i'm putting it in the brake duct area and not in front of the radiator
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-70298/
I am going to redo my lines to my cooler because I have have some consistant but very minor leaks. I ordered the tranny line kit from PCM4less with the quick adapters.

Question: Is there a seal or anything I should replace when i install the adapter? It seems like there should be a seal or something in there, but I cant find any info on this :undecided

Thanks

·
Banned
5,895 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Anyone replaced that seal?

Thanks Jimmyjam. I'm starting to get somewhere.

I like to know this stuff before i pull it apart and find i need a week to order the parts..LOL

Has anyone replaced that seal or had that seal leak? Do you need to pull the whole plug out of the rad, or can just the rubber seal be replaced?

All the talk about cooler upgrades and nothing about this... I have been reading for hours! :crazy:

Anyone?

·
Banned
5,895 Posts
is your leak coming from there? if not i say if it aint broke don't fix it. if it is a beveled washer you could theoretically replace it on the radiator but it would be so much easier to just unscrew the fitting and do it on a desk. the fitting looks a lot like the black part in the PCM4Less kit shown above, matter of fact it is probably exactly that piece. but no i've never heard of anyone replacing it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not yet

Not yet, but the kit i'm going to install will require me to remove the stock line and install something else. That is why i'm worried. I would normally change any seal like this when changing parts, so....

Other than that, I agree with the "if it's not broke, Don't fix it"

I saw that in the PCM4less pic and you're right...no one ever mentions it.

I strated a new thread on it and i'll see if I can get a tech to bite. I also emailed PCM, but this may be out of their area.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
194 Posts
Eleven pages of some good reading and pics. Thanks guys. I'm fixing to add a cooler because I'm about to start towing right at the max weight rating for my model (about 5k #s).

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
66 Posts
Eleven pages of some good reading and pics. Thanks guys. I'm fixing to add a cooler because I'm about to start towing right at the max weight rating for my model (about 5k #s).
I'll be VERY interested in how you get on with the towing. Would LOVE to get a report from you eventually.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
194 Posts
Right now I'm prepping the vehicle. I'm at 52k miles, so it's time for fluid changes in the transfer case and differentials. And I figure I might as well get the transmission done also. The the Dex-cool was flushed and replaced at about 50k miles. All I need is the above listed fluid changes, the trans cooler and a brake controller. The suspension and brakes are fine. The wife and I will be getting a travel trailer (and WD hitch) in the next two or three months.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
25 Posts
Well, getting ready for 3 hr trip towing >5K lbs, and all this info on coolers, sort of scared me and went ahead and installed a Hayden 679.

Does anyone have any data on temps before and after install? I did not get a gage.

Also, reading that you can hook up and monitor temps, ....does the TB have any type of high tranny temp warning light on the dash?

·
Premium Member
2006 gmc envoy_denali
861 Posts
Well, getting ready for 3 hr trip towing >5K lbs, and all this info on coolers, sort of scared me and went ahead and installed a Hayden 679.

Does anyone have any data on temps before and after install? I did not get a gage.

Also, reading that you can hook up and monitor temps, ....does the TB have any type of high tranny temp warning light on the dash?
Your original cooling was done by the in radiator cooler and the radiator runs around 210 degrees F. So that means your tranny temps would be around 220-230 F since the cooler isn't 100% efficient. With a cooler you will run about 40 degrees cooler.

Please keep in mind these numbers are ball park. A 100 degree day, heavy trailer, up hill and long will change the numbers dramatically.

Yes the TB has an indicator that the tranny is overheating, IT IS CALLED FAILURE.

Good luck with the towing, the cooler will help level the playing field and keep your tranny alive longer.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
I went about the install a bit differently than most of you guys, but this thread helped me when trying to figure things out, so I figure I'll post up to continue the evolution of this thread.

Used 3/8" compression fittings and 90 degree bends. Barbs are 1/2" to match the trans cooler inputs. Also shown is the tube cutter.

Making the first cut.

The fittings in place, ready for install.

I used a Derale remote fan kit; no drips yet from the compression fittings. There was a handy hole through the subframe that I used to route the rubber tubing. I still plan to sleeve the tubing where they may rub.

Yes I intentionally installed it pre-stock cooler. I did this to also aid the radiator temps, which tended to spike with the trans cooler temps. I'm thinking this may reduce both temperatures a bit more.

Here's the cooler itself installed and plumbed up. With the fan on, it kicks out a lot of air... and hot air at that. I'm eager to seeing how it affects the temps.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
1 Posts
Another benefit of routing to the external cooler first is it will relieve some of the burden on the radiator and thus the engine will run cooler as well.
Thanks all for the info. Just had my tranny rebuilt and will be installing a trans cooler before Spring hits. I just towed a 4,500 lb travel trailer for the first time. I had a 3,000 lb pop up before.

101 - 120 of 138 Posts