Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have had this 4x4 trailblazer for three years now. I got the suspension maxx spacers 2" and 2" body lift. Then I installed 33" tires. It was fantastic. Having 4x4 without a G80, I kicked butt in sand, which is my main offroading. Well after I got that kennesaw bumper.... things went downhill. First off, let me say I use my TB offroad... for real. I am a member of this forum who can honestly say that my TB has gotten me through hell and back. I had a lot of faith in it. No pretty stuff, hence why i didn't get pretty wheels. The g80 thing, I screwed up when i bought it, thinking 4x4 would have a good rear end differential by default. Anyways, with one tire in back and one tire in front pushing along, I got off and on the beach without any real problems. I had some struggles without the g80, but overall dealing with not having it made me a better driver in sand because I had to be real careful.

First problem, the front end started to get really low.... I figured, well hey, the bumper is heavy and the suspension is old. It lasted about 7 months with the kennesaw bumper before the rubbing started. No problem, i will replace some suspension components and it will go back to normal. After new coil springs and new bilstein shocks, the front end was still low and still rubbing! I was sooooooooooooooo mad. Maybe it needs more, I don't know. i am not an expert but it is disappointing. So my new alternative was 31" tires. I got a great deal on brand new toyo open country tires. rubbing solved.

Next, a trip to the coast to fish off the beach... disaster. I engaged 4x4 high. no reaction up front. I engaged 4x4 low, no reaction up front. I have used the 4x4 many times and it worked. This time I was getting stuck so easy and the front tires were not even spinning when the vehicle said it was engaged. After two hours of trying to get back to solid sand, my cousin's RAM with real 4x4 action got me to safety. it was a sad day for me indeed. I wanted to beat up my TB with a sledgehammer....

Now I am planning on investing in a g80 and getting my 4x4 inspected as well. Either that or toss it for a truck. But the thing is that i really like the trailblazer's appearance and comfort.... Do you all think it can be fixed to make me happy again?

Here's a pic of me stuck and pics of my happy memories.... I want more happy memories!

Advice.... please, I am not happy with my trailblazer right now.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
Sounds like your TC is ok, but your front actuator is somehow not connecting.

When you engage 4WD, can you turn the front driveshaft by hand? Also check when in A4WD. With both wheels planted, you shouldn't be able to turn it in either situation, but it may help us narrow the problem down.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Read up on my many posts advising how to listen for the different sounds of the front actuator compared to the transfer case encoder motor.

Does your TCCM give you a Service 4WD light? Does your selector switch flash the mode light instead of illuminating it steadily?

Teebes had this exact problem for months - intermittent actuator engagement. Rather then just slap in a new one, which is a rational reaction and not that expensive, we troubleshot it to the component level and found that grease from the reduction gear train had migrated to a slide contact inside the actuator. Took it apart, cleaned and regreased, and saved $90.

Depending on your exact problem, it might be cheap. Hope it's not a dead TC. That's a bit more.

But to consider putting down your loyal working husky dog of a TB because it needs a simple vet visit is just not right.

And when we ever get aftermarket coilovers with stiffer springs, that will solve your (and my) front end sag problemsn

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
285 Posts
No matter what rig you have, when you actually "use it" as you said, your going to run into problems like this, even the 3/4 ton chevy's have an electric actuator to go out....

Keep true to the TB, you've already gone this far...!:thumbsup:

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
I think my sister would trade her past Jeep's problems for your TB's problems... ($2300 to replace the grenaded Detroit Locker and fix the D44 that got grenaded in the process, grenading the D30 with locker in the front and replacing it with a D44 and locker, needing to put a new CV joint (2 u-joints together, Jeeps use them a lot) in the rear prop shaft, radiator and E-fan, 2 37x12 PJ Dirt Grip tires, etc.) She ended up spending more to fix it over the 3 years she had it than she paid for it, and it already had all the "goodies" in it (Atlas II, AntiRock bar, D44, bumpers, roll cage, lockers F&R, 4" long bar suspension lift, 2" body lift, 37x12 PJ Dirt Grips on bead lock rims, etc)...

Mike

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Read up on my many posts advising how to listen for the different sounds of the front actuator compared to the transfer case encoder motor.

Does your TCCM give you a Service 4WD light? Does your selector switch flash the mode light instead of illuminating it steadily?

Teebes had this exact problem for months - intermittent actuator engagement. Rather then just slap in a new one, which is a rational reaction and not that expensive, we troubleshot it to the component level and found that grease from the reduction gear train had migrated to a slide contact inside the actuator. Took it apart, cleaned and regreased, and saved $90.

Depending on your exact problem, it might be cheap. Hope it's not a dead TC. That's a bit more.

But to consider putting down your loyal working husky dog of a TB because it needs a simple vet visit is just not right.

And when we ever get aftermarket coilovers with stiffer springs, that will solve your (and my) front end sag problemsn
The transfer case is making the same noises it always has, and all the lights are illuminating as if nothing were broken. I think I am just mad because i feel like i got robbed when I bought a 4x4 without the G80. With resale value so low I am tired of investing so much money into the TB. Would you recommend taking it to the dealership to see what is wrong with the 4x4?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
If you have an offroad mission that depends on 4X4 working, why worry about resale value? Wish you had found trailvoy before buying the vehicle without the G80 - but that's water over the dam.

If the lights all illuminate as expected, then you probably have the next most common thing - a mechanical failure in the passenger side actuator splined disconnect. A mechanic posted here last year about how he fixes these all the time.

Assembly #56 in this exploded view. Junkyard or take it apart and find the exact broken pieces.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts