Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vector did some testing on my truck last night and with the intake it added another 12hp at the wheels on top of the Vector Tune and that was on the conservative Mustang dyno. Considering the other options or lackthereof, I wouldn't give it a second thought. Basic modifying 101 tells you to always look upgrading the intake and there's obviously room for improvement on the SS. I'm in line for that menacing black powdercoated intake as soon as it's ready in the next few weeks. thanks for everything Kirk & Chris :yes: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
how in the world did just adding a CAI gain that much?? stock setup didn't look that resrictive in the first place, we ran my stock K&N steup at the track in a vector tuned SS and it ran identical to a larger less restrictive setup?? so much for running rich and losing power, sorry for the skepticism, I just don't believe it..that's alot of hp...

·
Registered
2006 chevy
616 Posts
I don't know, those resonators and sound baffles don't come free....I would think that some type of turbulence would be created with them, and their elimination would result in some type of gain, though I don't know how much.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
1,966 Posts
TonyGXP said:
how in the world did just adding a CAI gain that much?? stock setup didn't look that resrictive in the first place, we ran my stock K&N steup at the track in a vector tuned SS and it ran identical to a larger less restrictive setup?? so much for running rich and losing power, sorry for the skepticism, I just don't believe it..that's alot of hp...
Uh well it's pretty simple actually, if you took the time to look at the system you'd see a few things.

1. the use of TWO resonators, not horrible but still a restriction.

2. The INCREDIBLE neck down from the MAF to the filter, I dont have the measurements here but I believe it's OVER 1" in neck down for an incredible flow restriction.

Couple those two with the addition of smoot tubing with easier transitions to the throttle body and you've got more power.

Also if someone WAS running something larger than stock (IE the colorado filter pressed over the MAF) it was running fat as hell at the bottom and dangerously lean at the top. You need to read the whole CAI thread to understand this, this intake is coupled with a retune to put the MAF values back where they are supposed to be.

Please dont jump to conclusions; we dont just make this stuff up.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
340 Posts
TBSS said:
I don't know, those resonators and sound baffles don't come free....I would think that some type of turbulence would be created with them, and their elimination would result in some type of gain, though I don't know how much.
In the Impy/Roadmaster LT1's with a similar airbox and baffles it was said that at least 8hp was gained by eliminating those restrictions :m2:

·
Registered
2006 chevy
377 Posts
GTPprix said:
Also if someone WAS running something larger than stock (IE the colorado filter pressed over the MAF) it was running fat as hell at the bottom and dangerously lean at the top. You need to read the whole CAI thread to understand this, this intake is coupled with a retune to put the MAF values back where they are supposed to be.

That said Chris, have you noticed similar conditions resulting with the stock K&N (E-1009) replacement filter as well? I would be VERY curious to see what happens when you replace the factory filter with the correct K&N, and if tuning is necessary in that situation as well. It wouldn't suprise me if even a simple K&N was enough to whack out the MAF/Computer. So, have you seen anything like that?

·
Registered
2006 chevy
1,966 Posts
The factory replacement K&N is fine, just retains that big restriction. It DOES however (and I'm seeing this more and more) suck some oil onto the MAF for the first 1000-2000 miles or so and can skew the fueling and also the shift firmness.

·
Banned
195 Posts
The Stock Maf is 3.75 inches in diameter. The stock air filter even the e1009 is 3.25 inches in diameter. Looks like the Vector CAI is using 3.5 inch pipe... Still way less restrictive than the stock neckdown from the Maf to the Filter. Maybe im wrong about his pipe size but in know the other measurements are correct.

·
Registered
2007 gmc
11,894 Posts
GTPprix said:
The factory replacement K&N is fine, just retains that big restriction. It DOES however (and I'm seeing this more and more) suck some oil onto the MAF for the first 1000-2000 miles or so and can skew the fueling and also the shift firmness.

Had to clean mine twice, My trans was wacko for a lil while there. When pulling a away at a light at 1/4 throttle, it surged like crazy.. cleaned it, went away. A week later it return. Cleaned it again, went away and has stayed fine since.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
377 Posts
I hear you on the cleaning. Mine drove great after the first cleaning, now a couple of weeks later it is back to its old tricks and power out of the hole sucks. Gonna clean again when I get home. It has been almost not worth the headache for the tiny (if any) gain of a K&N.

·
Registered
107 Posts
There's only one way to tell if it's going to make a difference , lets get some kits completed , and send some kits out to different parts of the country to do some track/dyno testing , I would send a few out to your existing Vector tuned customers with the upgraded programming .

·
Registered
2006 chevy
1,966 Posts
We are trying to get kits completed, we had a hugggggggggeeee back order on couplers that just got filled and some other odds and ends to wrap up. The plan is to put them on Sale next week.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
849 Posts
tBSSOldblue said:
The Stock Maf is 3.75 inches in diameter. The stock air filter even the e1009 is 3.25 inches in diameter. Looks like the Vector CAI is using 3.5 inch pipe... Still way less restrictive than the stock neckdown from the Maf to the Filter. Maybe im wrong about his pipe size but in know the other measurements are correct.
Actually, the stock MAF ID is 85mm (3.35"). The OD of the MAF is 94mm, or 3.70", but that's irrelevant to flow.

The Neck-Inlet to the air-filter has an ID of 80mm (3.15"), OD of 85mm (3.35").
The Air-filter itself has an ID of 85mm (3.35").

·
Registered
2006 chevy
1,966 Posts
Essque said:
the only way to tell if it makes a difference is by shipping YOU a free intake right? get in line buddy:rotfl:

but you guys are right, the intake sucks ass. I wasted two hours with my truck on the dyno last week while Kirk and Chris greased my engine with Ky warming liquid personal lubricant and replaced my stock intake with panty hose and piping from an '84 Fiero all while playing Project Gothom 3 on the Mustang Dynamometer instead of tuning the SS.
ACK!!! Our trade secretttt!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :duh:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts