Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went camping/offroading with my friend this past saturday. We had a great time until we came up on this big mud puddle. I didnt check out how deep it was, I based a guess on the past ones on the trail. Well I made a HUGE mistake. I went in, kinda fast.. It was deeper than I thought and I took water in the air intake. The engine stalled instantly. I tried to crank it (worse thing to do) Luckily (the only lucky thing that happened that day) some guys were out offroading and were able to pull us out. We tried jumping my truck off.. no use we tried cranking it and it just clicked. The engine wouldnt turn over. The guy pulled the TB all the way back down the mountain and left me where a tow truck could get to me. I started making calls, first to my parents and then trying to get a tow out there. It seemed like nobody would answer the phones. Finally I get in touch with a company and they send a truck up there. it was $175 alone to get towed to my house. So this AM I called Chevrolet and told them I needed them to come and pick the TB up. They said they don't have a tow truck?! So Im also having to pay for towing to the dealership. Well I got the call and they said they could try taking the spark plugs out and draining the oil and trying to crank it and there was a 50:50 shot at that working. That didn't work and now.. well here let me lay it out for you.

towing- $200 +
Engine replaced $7700
New gears
New fuel system - $1000

Now the question is ... Is the TB even worth that much?

So until further notice the TB is down.

Here's the pics.

My dad's boss knows some folks who are gonna take a look at it. It was under water for less than 10 mins. There's still some hope... I guess.
:ugh: Keep me in your thoughts please. :sadcry:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
6,568 Posts
:duh::duh::duh::duh: ouch...uhhhh... that sucks man... hope there is some kind of saving grace in there... when u tried to crank it did the engine try to turn over? cause if so :worried:

·
Southeast Chapter
2004 buick rainier
5,864 Posts
wow brandon; what is the dealer thinking that you got water in the cylinder's and that it is now hydro-locked? and if you go with the engine replacement i am sure that you can find it done for cheaper then 7 g's i mean you can get a replacement engine for under 1000 then laber for who ever does it; hope you the best

·
Northeast Chapter
1,502 Posts
Man, i wish I was still stationed in GA. We'd be doing our own motor swap. For some reason, I am thinking I saw a 4.2 out of a TB up here in CT for something like $300....I have an idea on how to get it to ya too, if you are interested....let me look it up again though, make sure I am not mistaken....

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
970 Posts
7 Grand for an engine is rather expensive.

for that price i probably wouldnt stick with the vortec 4200...id move to something more...moddable.

i see our I6's on craigslist all the time for under 1500

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
Something is fishy there. Unless you bent a connecting rod it should be able to run once they removed the water.

See, the issue is that water, unlike air, is essentially incompressible. If enough water is ingested, the engine will stop dead in it's tracks once one of the cylinders gets full enough with water. However, to do that, you basically have to submerge your intake underwater.

From those pictures it doesn't look like it's deep enough to be submerged.

It is important though, ... once the engine begins to suck water, to turn the engine off immediately. If you can do it early enough, water won't get into the cylinders.

When you tried to start it, was the engine locked? or would it turn over and just not start? The dealer was correct to take the plugs out and turn the engine over in order to pump the water out. Sometimes you need to suck the water out of the pistons in order to restart the engine.

As I said though... the only case you may need to get a new engine is if you bent a connecting rod. Did they tell you exactly why you needed a new engine?

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2,762 Posts
Something is fishy there. Unless you bent a connecting rod it should be able to run once they removed the water.

See, the issue is that water, unlike air, is essentially incompressible. If enough water is ingested, the engine will stop dead in it's tracks once one of the cylinders gets full enough with water. However, to do that, you basically have to submerge your intake underwater.

From those pictures it doesn't look like it's deep enough to be submerged.

It is important though, ... once the engine begins to suck water, to turn the engine off immediately. If you can do it early enough, water won't get into the cylinders.

When you tried to start it, was the engine locked? or would it turn over and just not start? The dealer was correct to take the plugs out and turn the engine over in order to pump the water out. Sometimes you need to suck the water out of the pistons in order to restart the engine.

As I said though... the only case you may need to get a new engine is if you bent a connecting rod. Did they tell you exactly why you needed a new engine?
I agree and$7000 for a stock engine is so out of wack!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
:no:Sounds to me like the stealership is living up to their reputation, find a sap that don't know and rape them! A motor and labor to install is far less than what they quoted you if in fact you even need a new motor. You must get a second opinion!:hopeless

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
131 Posts
also... as an Avionics Technician I know darn well that electronics and water dont mix... so here's a few simple things to try if ya aint already.

Check each and every fuse. (ONE AT A TIME!!!) I recommend gettign a box of brand new ones, (can get 'em anywhere, a big box'o fuses got 5-10 of every fuse known to man) and changing 'em all... just in case. If there's water/mud up in the fuse box(es) disconnect the battery immediatly and get some electrical cleaner (or isopropanol alcohol) and an old toothbrush or 2 and flush it out. Use the brush for the big build-ups.

Check your battery's charge. 10 minutes under water is enough to dran a battery... Clicking sound, sounds like dead/weak battery, or some other electrical problem. (I helped a stranded 2004 TB the other day, thought his batt was dead... but we couldnt even start his truck from my battery... which hasn't failed to start my truck yet... I had to leave the poor guy because I was late already)

Perhaps the water smoked checked the alternator? some other accessory that locked up?

IMO, the water doesnt look deep enough to drown the intake and flood the engine. smells electrical to me...

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Sorry to hear. Best of luck. You might need to buy a $500 beater to drive around in if this was your DD, but you can rebuild it for a lot less, for sure. Try to get the BCM out and dry it ASAP if it was submerged.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well My dad knows some people who are going to take a look at it. They are not affiliated with the stealership at all. The engine never turned over. All I heard was a clicking sound (starter I asumme) The other people are going to check it out tomorrow. My dad's boss seems to think that the stealership is living up to thier name as well. We tried using my mom's old car battery.. it was 8 years old but was still kicking and had charge, Still wouldnt do anything. I'm going to call to the dealership tomorrow to inquire about why EXACTLY the engine has to be replaced. I agree it is very fishy. If the dealership wants to play games.. I'd be more than happy to share which dealership it is on Trailvoy and other sites as well. I'll also make sure to drive that point home when I talk to them tomorrow. I might even borrow my mom's car in the morning and drive over there and see what they've even done. I have my suspicions that it wasnt much. And also what about the water in the truck?! I'm sure its just sitting there starting to mildew and mold under the carpet.

Also what are a few websites for used parts? I know I used to know one.. but now when I need it most I cant remember.

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
7,255 Posts
Sounds an awful lot like an electrical problem. Definitely run some tests before you pin it on the engine. I was in water deeper than that on Saturday and only suffered a bad ignition coil.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
You don't want to pay the dealer to strip the carpeting, so that's for you to do. Get it home, maybe on a trailer.

www.car-parts.com is the gateway to a PILE of junkyards and their inventory. You can sort by price or distance. It's how I got my replacement EXT axle.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You don't want to pay the dealer to strip the carpeting, so that's for you to do. Get it home, maybe on a trailer.

www.car-parts.com is the gateway to a PILE of junkyards and their inventory. You can sort by price or distance. It's how I got my replacement EXT axle.
Thanks Roadie.:thumbsup: Does replacement carpeting already come pre cut for the seats and everything that has to go through the carpeting? If anyone knows.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
34 Posts
That sucks.. I just did a motor swap in my TB, because i sheared a connecting rod. you could get a rebuilt motor really cheap. I picked mine up for around $800 and it had 35k on it. let me know and i could hook you up with the number for the place i got the motor.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
361 Posts
Well My dad knows some people who are going to take a look at it. They are not affiliated with the stealership at all. The engine never turned over. All I heard was a clicking sound (starter I asumme) The other people are going to check it out tomorrow. My dad's boss seems to think that the stealership is living up to thier name as well. We tried using my mom's old car battery.. it was 8 years old but was still kicking and had charge, Still wouldnt do anything. I'm going to call to the dealership tomorrow to inquire about why EXACTLY the engine has to be replaced. I agree it is very fishy. If the dealership wants to play games.. I'd be more than happy to share which dealership it is on Trailvoy and other sites as well. I'll also make sure to drive that point home when I talk to them tomorrow. I might even borrow my mom's car in the morning and drive over there and see what they've even done. I have my suspicions that it wasnt much. And also what about the water in the truck?! I'm sure its just sitting there starting to mildew and mold under the carpet.

Also what are a few websites for used parts? I know I used to know one.. but now when I need it most I cant remember.
"All I heard was a clicking sound (starter I asumme)". Have you had the starter checked. The clicking is probably the solenoid. I went through some deep water once in a diesel car I owned. She went right through just fine. the next morning when I went to start it, it just clicked. Water in the starter fried the brushes and armature. Cost $350 for that stater.:m2:

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
NO carpet. Herculine the interior or something and good floormats.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts