Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a tb a month ago, 2002. I need a new cat converter, but originally accelerated nicely, and did not bog. twp weeks ago i cut off the resonator, and it was fine, a week ago, it began bogging, and, felt low on power, also yesterday on the highway i was doing 65 and suddenly when i accelerated, the rpms, kept going down, and i could not accelerate at all or go more than 10 mph, now i can do all speeds, but it is slow accelerating, glogged cat or running rich? please help

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
A clogged converter will cause all of those symptoms, been there, done that. The 02/03 models years a more prone to converter clogging than later years as those years used a smaller converter and did not have AIR injections, which helped burn off the excess HC in the exhaust prior to reaching the converter. When you dropped the resonator, you look away a small amount of back pressure, which helped the already restricted exhaust. The converter has clogged further, most likely via melting, which has added yet more resistance.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,433 Posts
Mine did the bog down to nothing when trying to accelerate, my O2 sensor in the manifold failed. Replaced and it is 90% better. Still seems to bog occasionally... I don't want to pay $200+ for a cat, I think I may see if an exhaust shop can just chop out the old and weld in this magnaflow universal I have that was supposed to go on another vehicle originally. 3" pipe though, so will need adapters...

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the help, my firends own a shop, so ill just have them get me a cheap converter at thier price, thanks for the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts