Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I search for hours on the TrailVoy forum for a definitive answer about tire sizes and suggestion's from fellow members.

I never came up with a perfect answer for my stock set up, but with enough piecing together of information, I decided to go with Bridgestone(BS) truck tires verses car like tires. I almost chose to go with the GY Triple tread. I couldn't find enough on these tires and also thought the tread looked to wimpy on a truck/suv.

I bought my tires at www.tirerack.com since their warehouse is 4 miles from my driveway. I checked the comments on tires there as well and found that the GY's had only 1,000,000 driver reported miles and the BS's Revo had 41,000,000+ driver reported miles.

About the Trailblazer: 2004 EXT 4X4 V8 TNF, all stock, with >40,000 miles.
factory 17" wheels. The origanal tires were very near the wear bars and only one had worn badly on the inside.
About the tires selected. I upsized from OEM 245-65/17 to 265-65/17
Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo. The tread width is only very slightly wider then the 245's that were on there.

My review.
I think the tires make a little more noise and the gas mileage drop about 2 miles a gallon according to the DIC. I will update the gas milage after I run a tank and fill up. My wife thinks they make less noise.

The TB drives much much better. Both myself and my wife think the ride feels taller, more solid and more powerful. Gone is the soft bouncy ride of the conti's.

The TB looks much bolder and more serious about being a 4X4. Pictures to follow.

Not sure if the trade off of gas milage is worth all the benifits, I'll have to wait till after I wipe this stupid grin off my face and take a serious look at the overall ride quality improvment and loss of a few MPG. More to follow after we put some miles on these tires.:D

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
4,839 Posts
When it was time for me to purchase new tires I decided to go with the Revos because I wanted a more agressive tread, plus at the time they were running a rebate. I would have to agree with you on your comments about ride and gas mileage. They look really nice when you shine'em up.

I just stayed with the standard size.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
10,730 Posts
Hardtop, can't wait to see the pics!!! :yes: I'd like to maybe do 265 Revos on mine some day.

The Revos will drop mpg a little because of the more aggressive tread, especially coming from worn out tires (Contitracs I'm guessing?) When I had the Revos on my Jimmy, I would see about a 2 mpg increase when I switched to my summer wheels that had Geolander HT/S tires (less aggressive) on them.

Also keep in mind you went to a larger tire which is going to throw everything off about 3.5% (Odometer, Speedometer, DIC etc). Keep that in mind when figuring gas mileage. It won't be a huge difference but it will be there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have approximately 50,000 miles on my Revos. They are a decent tire, and I'd imagine there is probably at least 10k of tread left. I do mostly highway driving and rotate them frequently. So, they wear very well. The only problem however, is that now they have gotten older, they have become very noisy. I mean real noisy. This would be my only complaint. And also my only reason for not buying another set.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I got mine last summer after one of my stock tires decided to blow out on the highway. They provide a great ride, they look awesome (i have mine mounted blackwall out, but the tread is sweet). great performance in the snow as well.

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_sle
112 Posts
Just got a set in 265/65/17 mounted up a few days ago...I might grind the end of the ball joint just for a little extra clearance...

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
251 Posts
Going up in tire size will alter your speedometer and odometer. Your mileage readings will no longer be accurate. You will actually be traveling roughly 5% faster and 5% more miles than actually stated. So in reality your mileage probably wasnt imacted much at all. PS looks great

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_sle
112 Posts
Going up in tire size will alter your speedometer and odometer. Your mileage readings will no longer be accurate. You will actually be traveling roughly 5% faster and 5% more miles than actually stated. So in reality your mileage probably wasnt imacted much at all. PS looks great
I expect to loose a little in MPG since I'm going to a slightly bigger and more agressive tire...stockers were GY Forteras...after ~25k miles they were just getting to dangerous in the rain. After a couple hundred miles my fuel mileage in down about 1 MPG when adding 4% to distance traveled to account for the size difference. I've been meaning to send my PCM back to PCM4Less to get a few things tweaked anyway so I'll just add a recal for the tires to my list of stuff to tweak.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
267 Posts
I'm pretty sure that you do lose some mileage. When we changed the stock tires on our Land Cruiser (Dunlop Grandtrek AT20... pieces of junk) with larger sized GY Wrangler AT/S we did lose some mileage (never did the math, but we did lose a couple MPGs), but when you're running a diesel engine... going from 25 MPG to 22 MPG isn't that bad.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,461 Posts
Curious what your mileage came out to be. Any pics yet, think these will be my next set of tires.

Currently running summit radial trail climber tires. I gotta say they are about the worst tire you can buy as far as wear and noise. Wet traction is ok, never had any issues in the inches of snow we get around here, but the noise, vibration, and wear is horrible. You can see pits and bulges all over each tire, even with them being rotated every 3 to 6000 miles. The vibration is better since they cross rotated them. I will be in need of some new tires before fall, so far I like the ratings on the a/t revos, and the overall look.

·
Registered
2005 isuzu ascender
76 Posts
I have the stock size 245/65-17 Revo's on my Ascender and do like the performance. But I don't really need an AT tire... lost too much MPG (about 3) and the wife things they are too loud on the highway.

So I am looking at Goodyear Fortera Silent Armor...

on that note anyone here wants the Revo's (maybe 10k miles on them - I can send pics) send me a private message.... maybe $200 for the set plu shipping costs?

·
Registered
997 Posts
At that price range, you can look at the Fortura TripleTred, and for not much more than that, you can check out probably the BEST tire ever made for our platform as far as looks, noise, traction, wear and mileage is concerned - The Michelin LTX M/S.

Lots of us in here run the Michelins, and there are other good choices out there in this tread style that are nearly as good for not nearly as much money, but "nearly as good" is just not good enough for me. These are the best, Jerry ... the best!

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,461 Posts
Im big on looks, and the revos are pretty cool looking. The reviews are pretty high too though, even in snow and heavy snow. Looking at about 7 hundo though for all 4. Guess im not really worried about mpg, im sure anything will be an improvement over what I have now.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
I ran the revo's on my Burban and they did great lasted a long time and looked good doing it.

I am surprised at your mpg loss. I only lost that much going from stock to wide 33's in mud tread

·
Registered
267 Posts
At that price range, you can look at the Fortura TripleTred, and for not much more than that, you can check out probably the BEST tire ever made for our platform as far as looks, noise, traction, wear and mileage is concerned - The Michelin LTX M/S.

Lots of us in here run the Michelins, and there are other good choices out there in this tread style that are nearly as good for not nearly as much money, but "nearly as good" is just not good enough for me. These are the best, Jerry ... the best!
Agree. The LTX M/S are amazing, they feel great on highway and still have an acceptable performance on dirt and mud (I feel much more limited by the clearance than the tires). They seem to be quite popular in vehicles ranging from Outlanders and Escapes to 1 ton Silverados, so definitely good tires.

I haven't tried the Fortera TripleTred, but we just got a set of Assurance TripleTred for our Altima and looks like an amazing the tire in terms of design (I think they're both pretty much the same), although it looks to me like they would perform poorly on dirt.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
38 Posts
I also went with the revos in 265/65r17. It's a pretty tight fit, but it looks a lot nicer with the wheel well filled compared to the 245's. The ride is stiffer over my old Fortera HL's, but the vehicle feels more confident. Reports on MPG will come after I get some miles on them!

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_sle
112 Posts
I lost about 1-1.5mpg going from the GY Fortera HLs to the Revos but the traction and looks are well worth it. I finally got off in some mud a couple weeks ago and got through some stuff in 2wd that the GYs required 4wd. Like any A/T tire though, they'll fill up with mud fairly quick but a little spinning will keep them cleaned out. :woot:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Revo

I put evo's on m Silveado and they suck!! I losy 3-4mpg and they were noiseeeeyyyyy!! Brdgestone did stand behind them though....they replaced them with Alenza's an they are great. Les aggressive but uiet and mpg is back.. The rolling resistance of the Revo is very high I stayed with stock sizes so rolling diameter was not an issue.

Rick

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
I put evo's on m Silveado and they suck!! I losy 3-4mpg and they were noiseeeeyyyyy!! Brdgestone did stand behind them though....they replaced them with Alenza's an they are great. Les aggressive but uiet and mpg is back.. The rolling resistance of the Revo is very high I stayed with stock sizes so rolling diameter was not an issue.

Rick
Dude you live in Florida, sorry but you dont really need a super aggressive A/T like the Revos in the first place unless you're mudding or driving through the swamps down there...but I agree, the Alenza's are a much better choice for you.

Ill probably get another set on the winter tires for my SS because I want traction and thats it. Or I might get some Blizzaks, not sure yet.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts