Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since I just bought my TB, the first order of business was to get my mobile communications up and running. Even though I do very little talking mobile since I can not stand using repeaters and half the conversations on them , I opted for a small low profile system . The radio is a Yaesu Ft-7800 remote mounted with a Comet B-10 antenna. I did not want to go with anything bigger. The nice thing with this radio , it does extended RCV . SO i can listen to all the local VHF , UHF ,AIR and Military Air all in one box.

The face plate remote mounted. The cig plug is the extension lead for my Garmin Nuvi next to my rear view . I have not hard wired it into a switched source yet. I will probably leave it this way until I decide if I want an in dash unit or not.

The main unit mounted behind the dash cover. The cig lighter is for my garmin nuvi , not for the radio

the external speaker down and out of the way

The comet B-10 dual bander with a UHF ount on a motorola fender mount. This may get changed due to the offset lip on the inside of the fender , but for now , it is what i have to work with .

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Nice choice. I got the same model Yaesu, but care a bit less about a decluttered cockpit :eek: And I drilled the roof for an NMO mount. 2M is the new state of the art for offroad trail comm, and always useful for emergencies when you can't get cell coverage.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:eek:

What no SPOT? No toll road transponder? No Garage door opener? No reverse camera?

When something rings, how do you know what to answer?
:laugh:
:x

eventually , I want to do an 857 with the ATAS , but for now , this is good enough. Ill post pics of my ham install on my cotch rocket :weird:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
What no SPOT? No toll road transponder? No Garage door opener? No reverse camera?
Aha. Good questions, comrade! :raspberry My Ram-mounted SPOT is on the left corner of the windshield - out of that pic. What's a toll-road? :D Garage door opener is a homelink in the overhead console. Reverse camera is in a box waiting to be installed - video will feed to a 7" swing-down Xenarc display - also in a box waiting for time. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
695 Posts
Aha. Good questions, comrade! :raspberry My Ram-mounted SPOT is on the left corner of the windshield - out of that pic. What's a toll-road? :D Garage door opener is a homelink in the overhead console. Reverse camera is in a box waiting to be installed - video will feed to a 7" swing-down Xenarc display - also in a box waiting for time. :thumbsup:
Just can't catch you off guard! Just a thought - wouldn't a reverse cam mounted on the front be useful for line picking through the rocks? Just don't self spot too ofter or you'll grow hairy palms and go blind! :hopeless

Sorry, I'll stop the hijack and wait for the usual comprehensive Roadie build thread.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle
1,614 Posts
Nice choice. I got the same model Yaesu, but care a bit less about a decluttered cockpit :eek: And I drilled the roof for an NMO mount. 2M is the new state of the art for offroad trail comm, and always useful for emergencies when you can't get cell coverage.

No Kitchen Sink???:crackup::dielaugh:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
1000 apologies for the continuing hijack. I originally was looking at an XUV as well. What decided it for me was that the SWB was suitable for offroading, and the weiner dog XUV would attract "invitations" from friends who wanted stuff moved. :no:

·
Registered
804 Posts
eventually , I want to do an 857 with the ATAS , but for now , this is good enough. Ill post pics of my ham install on my crotch rocket :weird:
Did you ever get everything finished up? When I was up you still had a few things to figure out yet.

Oh and did you check out yzf600r.com ... I posted up a thing for a charity ride down here on the 23rd

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I couldn't mount my chassis there , i have other components taking up hat space. I had an antenna similar to that on my exploder for my public safety radio but after about 3 weeks , i lost the outside part along the interstate.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,232 Posts
I had an antenna similar to that on my exploder for my public safety radio but after about 3 weeks , i lost the outside part along the interstate.
That's a Larsen KDL 2/70 I have, been on the TB for over 6 years. Tested up to about 105 mph.. :D It works great other than the whistling through the coil over about 50 mph which I took care of with some shrink tubing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.