Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was driving at around 12:45 AM and get pulled over for not using turn signals while turning. The only thing is that i did it twice: making a u-turn, and turning onto a different road. At first, the cop (sheriff's police) was giving me an attitude, but saw that i was a "good kid" and was easy on my, but still wrote me a ticket! I have to show up to court in january because i'm 17 and technically not an adult.

Only question is do i plead guilty or not guilty? i think i can get away with it considering its not that big of a citation, and its my first. whats the worst that could happen besides me paying the fine and traffic school if i plead not guilty? any one know anything about law enforcement???

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
337 Posts
What were you doing driving that late? Tell the judge that you're sorry. You were returning home from work that night and was really tired and that you won't do it again.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was coming home from a relative's wedding reception, and i was still dressed formally. right now i'm thinking of ways to get it thrown out, and the idea you had was one of them..:crazy:

·
Registered
337 Posts
I wouldn't be too worried about it. Doesn't sound like something they'd hang you for. Even the truth sounds good enough to me- just be sure to mention that you were tired and that you'll be more aware next time. :nono:

I've had to fight WAY more serious tickets than that. I've even won a few big ones. FIGHT TEH POWHA:tiphat

·
Registered
337 Posts
Most cops tend to be hard asses at first only because they're looking to see how you'll react or respond. Normally they're looking for DUI or DWI- people who are under the influence normally respond different when theres a pig up in their faces yelling and being rude to them. No big deal. Now if the cop keeps it up then hes just a douch:eek::hopeless

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
1,852 Posts
The best way is to tell the truth. Say you're sorry and it won't happen again.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
4,009 Posts
How much is the fine? Were you guilty of what the officer said you were?

Was the U-Turn in an area marked as no U-turn?

Why did you not use your turn signals?

If you do take it to court, tell the truth. Don't make up some BS story, and see what happens. If you still get fined, then learn from that. If not, then you still win :)

Chris

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
7,255 Posts
And was cop car visible? i.e. did he have his lights on? I know it is you word against the cop, but if he didn't have any lights on, and there were no other cars on the road to worry about warning, I did not think that signaling was necessary. At least around my neck.

·
Registered
432 Posts
If you should decide to fight this, go to traffic court ASAP as an observer to learn how the process works. You can usually work with the attorney who is representing the state/county/city and work out a deal where you pay court costs and if you have no further tickets in a year the whole event is expunged from your record.

-- Dan Meyer :coffee

·
Registered
281 Posts
first off i work at a law firm so i do have some inside knowledge of the legal system. but i am not an attorney yet

what you should do is speak with the prosecuting attorney before the hearing. you may be able to schedule an appointment with him or just go to the hearing early and meet with him there. in michigan courts the prosecutors have offices right outside of the courtrooms. the prosecuting attorney is much more likely to listen to you then the judge. when you talk to the prosecutor tell them the truth and ask that they either wave the ticket completely or at a minimum take away the points.

this has worked for me and many of my friends, after talking to the prosecutor and reaching a deal, when you enter the court room the judge will know that you reached a deal and will basically just cover the terms and make sure that you agree.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
And, I believe, pleading not guilty means a full-on trial. Best to ask for leniency right off the bat. Most of the time you'll get reduced or no points but the price may go up. And leave any attitude at home. Good luck.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How much is the fine? Were you guilty of what the officer said you were?

Was the U-Turn in an area marked as no U-turn?

Why did you not use your turn signals?

If you do take it to court, tell the truth. Don't make up some BS story, and see what happens. If you still get fined, then learn from that. If not, then you still win :)

Chris
there is no fine YET because i'm under 18. i just have to appear in court and i think thats where they'll decide what i'll pay, if anything.

the u-turn was legal, but the officer claimed that it was too wide. i dont think there's a law out there saying that you have to make your u-turns short.

and i didn't use my turn signals because i'm an idiot. i rarely do, and thats if i'm waiting at a stop light. i guess i have to start using them more...

my court date is on Jan. 21, at 9 AM at the district court. I might just tell them the truth, and everyone i know is saying the judge will probably throw it out...

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
476 Posts
When my daughter was in a situation (just licensed, rolled through 2 stop signs, and even was doing 30 in a 25). She was truthful with the officer and worse had to come home & break the news to me. She was more upset with how this would affect our family car ins. not just the points.

I went to the police station, not to fight the ticket but to see how it would play out.

We were told to go before the magistrate (rather than before the judge). When we arrived I went in with her & explained what she had told us and how my wife, our daughter & I had decided that if there was an increase in the ins. she would pay it + court fees. She then repeated exactly what had happened. The magistrate considered the information and reduced the ticket to a non-moving violation, no points and the total cost of fees & fine was $70.00 which she did pay us.:m2:

·
Registered
37 Posts
As a former cop this is how jersey courts work: go in plead not guilty and the pros. attn. will speak with you and not really care what happened and usually knock the tickets down to non-moving violations and no points. But you will pay some fines plus court cost, your violations will more likely cost about $150-$200. If they should ask be honest and say it was late and you were returning from a wedding and did not realize you did not use your signals and it does not usually happen and tell them you just want to lose the points. If you ask them to "throw it out" they will laugh and you will be found guilty and pay double plus court cost. Good Luck

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
It is really a pain. You are stuck with the choice of fighting for your right or not and are assumed guilty unless you prove otherwise. You may even have to pay court costs if you fight and lose. See what the options are and be honest. The cop was hoping to get a DWI or at least underage drinking. Not using a blinker just gave him a reason to pull you over. Two plate states are good for this also. If no one was around then it seems like a bogus ticket. You know the saying about the tree in the forest making a noise if no one is there. If no one was around you then what harm did it do. Cop was probably parked somewhere.

Research your states codes, the cop should have referenced it on the ticket.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
32 Posts
If you cannot get a ticket dropped, take the traffic school, pay the extra money, be good for 6 months and it should not go on your record. I have had several tickets in IL and that is what I do.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the tips guys. I went, and plead guilty. Judge wasn't a friendly one, so she just gave me a $250 fine including court costs, supervision, and traffic school...figures i get all of this for not using my turn signals. I guess i deserve it thought. But just wanted to say thanks to everyone that helped out!:)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys. I went, and plead guilty. Judge wasn't a friendly one, so she just gave me a $250 fine including court costs, supervision, and traffic school...figures i get all of this for not using my turn signals. I guess i deserve it thought. But just wanted to say thanks to everyone that helped out!:)
ouch that sucks big time. Well have fun.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Wholy crap! $250 for not using your TURN signal??? at 12:45pm??? There isnt even anyone on the road to show that you are turning. My last speeding ticket was around that much.

This is evidence right here that the states are hurting big time for money.... :weird:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts