Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2005 gmc envoy_sle
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so yesterday while driving i noticed a humming noise, very similar to the noise made when a power steering pump is goin out... It does it very faintly when ideling but gets louder as the engine revs..It dosent get worse when i turn the steering wheel so im doubting it is the power steering pump....I let my buddy listen to it and he said it might be the bearings in my water pump goin out....My voy only has 41,000 on the clock so im kinda bummed i have to dump money into repairs already:worried:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
211 Posts
remove your serpentine belt and start engine. If noise goes away, you have jsut isolated it to something that is run by the belt. You should be able to spin everything by hand to figure out which bearing is bad.

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
:iagree:

it might be the serpentine belt and the idler pulley.........it sounds like you got a turbo when you rev up the engine and vaguely hear it when idling.......... I had this replaced at around 75000KM.......good luck JayD and let us know how everything goes!!

·
Banned
2005 gmc envoy_sle
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have the day off tomorrow so im taking it in to the shop first thing in the morning...and yeah thats what it sounds like..im hoping its not a big expensive fix:crazy:

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
it won't cost you more than half of an arm........LOL...........its an inexpensive fix........my buddy at the tire shop I use to work at charged me about $220 CAD.......

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
if it is an idler pulley... I think I bought mine for $30 and took about 15 minutes to change.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
997 Posts
My money is on the idler pulley. It takes 30 seconds to put a 3/8" ratchet into the square hole in the belt tensioner, take some slack off the belt, slip it forward off the idler pulley and give the pulley a spin. You will likely feel a SLIGHT grittiness in the bearing. If it has the slightest bit of grittiness, replace it. Ten minute job. Less than half a beer.

Lots of threads in here about the idler pulley.

This is one of the parts that should be on our list of replacement parts you should just buy right off the bat when you get a new Trailblazer home. (Another one is the ignition switch, maybe a TCCM if you don't exercise it regularly and a new battery of yours is more than a few years old. All of these are common; all are simple but all have VERY strange and complex symptoms when they start to fail.)

All in all, these are great trucks and will last forever with only a very few - and very predictable - problems if maintained right.

·
Banned
2005 gmc envoy_sle
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well 20 minutes in the shop and 63 bucks later my voy is fixed!:D,,,,and yes it was the idler pulley.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts