Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

My 2003 SLT XL Envoy started a new problem after I got it back from the professional mechanc's workshop. They cleaned the injectors and broke the housing of the inlet manifold and broke some harness holders. Anyway, when they started checking it, the stupid people started with disassembling the fuel tank. When I asked about the reason, they said they wanted to check the fuel pump pressure. I got mad and left the workshop as I recognised the quality of the people working on my truck. They didn't know how to check the pressure by connecting a pressure gauge to the valve at the fuel filter.
I couldn't wait untill they called me to take my truck as they claimed it was ready. I took it and drove back home. When I reached home, it started to cut down as if there wasn't fuel in the tank. The fuel gauge indicated quarter the tank. I refilled it and the problem went away like magic. I thought it was some dirt still in the fuel lines and was forced out. Later when the fuel guage indicated quarter the tank, it started doing it again. I refilled the tank and it was OK. I noticed that every time the fuel level reaches the quarter, it does this problem. I took the tank down today to check if the fuel pump was installed properly or not. I couldn't identify any error or mistake in installing it. So I returned it and drove it, but the same.
If the fuel pump is faulty,why does it work perfectly with full pressure 60PSI when the fuel level is above the quarter????
What could be the problem????
I forgot to tell you that it doesn't do it when in Neutral. And, it stalled once at a round about while I was waiting my turn. It started immediately and ferfectly.

Waiting for your suggestions.
Thanks a lot for taking the time to read my thread.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
When you are at the 1/4 point and refill does it take a complete tank full or just 3/4 of what is should take. Other than that, if they broke it they should fix it.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
183 Posts
Breaking a couple of holder's is one thing...but dropping the tank????? That doesn't make any sense!! Check the amount of fuel you put in at 1/4 tank, and if it is the total amount your tank holds....they probably beny the sensor. Other than that, they screwed up the sensor or the computer need to be re calibrated. You may have to take it to the dealer to have the PCM re-calibrated. :m2:

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When you are at the 1/4 point and refill does it take a complete tank full or just 3/4 of what is should take. Other than that, if they broke it they should fix it.

Sorry for being late in checking your replies. When you work for Aramco Oil Company, you barely find enough time for your family and other needs.

Yes, the gauge travels all the way to the full when the tank is full, and it goes back normally as the fuel is being consumed. I checked the pump when the tank was 1/4, but no visible error detected. I saw that the fuel in the tank then was about 1/4. The indicator and the level liver are OK. but something wrong happens when it reaches that level. I couldn't recognize any visible fault.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
6,568 Posts
what he was talking bout.. is when at the 1/4 tank.. how many gallons does it take before the pump kicks out? and how big is ur tank... do u have the 18 or the 23 gallon tank? i understand when u say u saw it was a 1/4 and all but the numbers help out a bit to...

only thing i could think of is the..... nm that wouldnt be it... nm i dont have any idea really... hmmmm

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what he was talking bout.. is when at the 1/4 tank.. how many gallons does it take before the pump kicks out? and how big is ur tank... do u have the 18 or the 23 gallon tank? i understand when u say u saw it was a 1/4 and all but the numbers help out a bit to...

only thing i could think of is the..... nm that wouldnt be it... nm i dont have any idea really... hmmmm
It's the 23 gallon tank. The range indicates 85 km. I got sick of this car. I'll consider 1/4 the tank = Empty and refill it before it reaches there.
Thanks for sharing your ideas.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all,
I'm back with the news. Today I dismantled the fuel tank and discovered that the mechanic had disassembled the fuel pump assembly, but failed to return the pump in its correct position. Thus, the suction point changed to above the fuel pump interior filter. That's why it used to take vapor instead of liquid gas when the fuel level reached 1/4 the tank.
Be very careful to return the part to their original location.

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,733 Posts
:weird:You should try to get compensation from shoddy mechanics, however you would probably be wasting your time!:grouphug:

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,380 Posts
I was about to chime in on this with my experience with my s-10 that would cut out by 1/4 tank and then the fuel pump died one day. Glad to see you fixed it yourself but a word of caution: if you have let the pump run dry quite often, you might have shortened its lifespan because the fuel is used to keep the pump cool and I'm sure it's quite warm in Jordan!

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the tip. I was keen on not using it unless the fuel is above the quarter. I only let it do it to show my brother the fault behavior as he is a mechanical engineer. It's now running perfectly thank God :hail:. The weather now in Jordan is cool. Temp reaches 30 C utmost. :crazy: Did I forget to mention that I work in Saudi Arabia? The temp there reaches 48 C after sunset. It's part of Hell there. Hopefully won't go to hell in the life after as I have already got burned for 4 years in S.A. :laugh:

P.S.: 30 C = 86 F
48 C = 118 F

1 - 11 of 11 Posts