Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure there are some post out there already about this... but this site is really too big and the key words brig up way to many posts to go through them all. SO maybe someone will have some input on this or even a link to a post that totally deals with what I am going to ask. I just got my 2003 Trailblazer and my bose system sounds great but won't play CD's always with the "check cd" error. So i heard that it is hard to switch out the bose system (it cost too much) so I decided maybe I can get the thing cleaned and add the "add an amp" harness as well. I have heard you can add an ipod to the bose system. Now with all that said I have 3 questions.

1. Is the bose system worth cleaning or am I better off spending the little extra money and replacing it?

2. What model and what luck have people had with the "add an amp" harness?

And finally

3. Will I be able to hard wire my ipod to the deck with out using the static involved FM converter to my bose system?

Here is the deck I have.

Land vehicle Vehicle audio Vehicle Car Center console

Thanks for any help you can offer!

· Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,554 Posts
nobody wants to help cause you make yourself sound lazy, cause searching and reading is so hard....

i dont think you realize how much a new unit is gonna cost. first its factory, that in its self is expensive, and you have the "premium" system, so its gonna cost a few hundred bucks, fyi. check out the for sale forum or check out ebay, but most people go aftermarket when they found out how much it is to replace the unit. also keep in mind that if you get a new factory unit you still need the dealer to flash the memory which is another 100ish bucks.

also, search isimple for your apple needs.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did do a whole hell of a lot of searching (not lazy but busy with 3 jobs to keep on living the dream of staying employed). And like I stated so many with the key words bose, replacement, stereo and after-market came up.

I was not going to replace the factory with another. Just wondering if it could be cleaned to make it work properly.

I Do thank you for the ipod link. and I do think I will just go that way if I can instead of doing a replacement. I would rather use my ipod that make cd's or mp3 disc.

· Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
Or you can take the unit out and send it to any of a hundred repair outfits and then you'll get the same one back with won't require a dealer reflash.

But something tells me you're looking for instant gratification, not a send-it-off-and-wait kind of repair. I can guarantee you with the experience of a verified old fart, that haste and impatience will end up costing you $$ you may regret later.

Only YOU can decide if your ears are good enough to hear the difference between Bose and an aftermarket system, and what your cost sensitivity index is. People with a low CSI tend to gripe if they spend $200 on a system and it doesn't sound twice as "good" as OEM. People with a high CSI need to get to maybe $2000 before they expect a doubling of the "goodness". And the definition of "good" is different for every set of ears, whether it be clarity, pure dB, lower-intestine-rumbling bass, or extended high frequencies if you haven't destroyed your frequency response yet.

An Internet forum can't answer such personal questions.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Bill.

I do like the sound of the bose system a lot... that is for sure. And now with the suggestion of "GavinVoy" i think isimple has some good product for me and with the "add an amp" harness I think i know the way I am going to go. I was concerned with the ipod getting static. But if I can find a product that won't have that FM hiss and bad sound then I will be super happy.

:thx

I want to save on the system so I can get me some 22" I already have a killer system in my 96 impala SS

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is there a way to tell if my deck has the 12 pin plug in the back to hook up an ipod? or will I need to pull it out to see if it has the sport for the plug. Sorry I am asking a lot of questions

· Registered
2006 chevy
2,019 Posts
Is there a way to tell if my deck has the 12 pin plug in the back to hook up an ipod? or will I need to pull it out to see if it has the sport for the plug. Sorry I am asking a lot of questions
You will need an IPOD adapter like (Isimple Solutions. USA-Spec, or Scoshe)

This will allow you to control and IPOD through the BOSE headunit

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would you recommend one over the other? Hard wire or the FM converter? I imagine you would go with the hard wire and that is the way I would think is better . But on the isimple they have one that you wire right into the antenna plug.

Thanks

· Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
25 Posts
Would you recommend one over the other? Hard wire or the FM converter? I imagine you would go with the hard wire and that is the way I would think is better . But on the isimple they have one that you wire right into the antenna plug.

Thanks
The unit that wires right onto the antena plug is still an FM modulator. As a result, the sound quality will only ever be as good as the FM receiver in your stereo (factory or otherwise). Consider your options carefully here because if you shell out 150 for the isimple (I think it's worth it if you have a factory HU) and then decide to upgrade the head unit to an aftermarket one, that is money that could have gone towards an adapter module to keep your chimes, onstar, etc working through the aftermarket head unit.

You can find non-nav Bose head units on Ebay pretty regularly, some are even wiped so they'll work with your vehicle w/o a trip to the stealership. So if you really love CDs, the that could be another option. Personally, once an Ipod is thrown in the mix, how often do you really think you'll be using the CD player?

Chris

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya i went with the PAC "add an amp" and a FM modulator for my ipod. So far pretty happy with it just need to mess around with getting the sub dialed in now. Bought the add an amp from an ebay store for $60 brand new and it works great and the ipod FM mod from a friend that owns a wholesale "wire-harness" company for $35.

Thanks to all that chimed in and offered some help! :tiphat

TREE

· Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ltz
1 Posts
check cd message

Bought my TB for approx 2 months ago, and just love the truck. Had the same check cd problem as mentioned, but only on cd´s I burned myself.

A solution that worked for me was to lower the burning speed in windows media player. I just put it on the lowest, and then all burned cd´s worked in the truck.

Good luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.