Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
I would look into RPM transmissions for your trans issues.They are one of the vendors here and I am certain that you will find them HIGHLY recommended for your build of the transmission .

I thought that I would start a topic here to share pics/info on our upcoming AWD SS build. I recently aquired a '06 black AWD SS, and I will be tooling around with developing a single turbo setup, addressing the transmission issues, and updating the fuel system. I own a small shop in Southeast Louisiana, and we specialize in custom/production turbo systems for odd-ball, late model vehicles.
I'm not looking to really advertise a "kit", per say.. Right now, I'm only interested in gathering/sharing info for this build on my personal vehicle. If I do decide to offer a kit down the road, I'll look into advertisement and such on this site. With that being said.. please limit your questions to general knowledge. (no sales questions please).
Here's my plan so far..
316L schedule 10 stainless tubular turbo headers
316L 14 gauge 2.5" stainless y-pipe and flex section
Single Precision PT67/GT-Q trim with undivided .81 A/R T4 exhaust housing, and .70 A/R T04S comp. cover
3" stainless down pipe with flex section
3" stainless turbo-back exhaust with converter
60lb Mototron injectors
Twin Walbro 255lph pumps with CNC'd custom stainless basket/sump
Twin -6 AN stainless feed lines from tank to engine bay
Aeromotive regulator/filter
Billet aluminum fuel rails
Our proprietary front mount air to air intercooler with 2.5" and 3" custom aluminum piping
Tial 44mm wastegate
Greddy Type R BOV (recirculated)
Meth/water injection
I'm figuring 6-7psi with meth injection on 93 octane will be in the 425awhp range on the stock bottom end. The truck will be tuned using SCT's new GM software. I'm going to pull the engine this upcoming summer for a mild build to handle 6-700chp.. but, I want to see what the stock engine will handle, safely.. I've got a pretty good bit of knowledge when it comes to this sort of thing.. We built the first (and only, to my knowledge) turbo setup for the inline 6 TB motor, 2 years ago. It is making just north of 400rwhp on a bone stock motor, with a Raptor built 4L60E, and TB SS rear end installed. It is tuned with EFI Live software..

Cool pic, showing the intercooler setup, and how we incorporated it behind the factory crash bar.

As far as the trans is concerned.. I'd like some input from some experienced members. I've been told to look into Phoenix Transmissions for a build to hold up to the power levels that I'm looking for. I do plan to tow a 5000lb boat, still.. so I need to keep the converter mild enough to perform that function.
This will be a long, drawn out project (3-4 months). I want to really get this thing out in the real world and do some testing on the stock engine to see what is really feasible/reliable. Your input/questions would be greatly appreciated..
Travis

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
I would look into RPM transmissions for your trans issues.They are one of the vendors here and I am certain that you will find them HIGHLY recommended for your build of the transmission .
I dont know if its in this thread or not, but Travis has had a Raptor Stage IV or V trans installed for a long time now, but RPM makes great trans setups.:yes:

I'm running 8-9.2lbs of boost in my SS.

[
Very nice man! Love the all black. Where does your air filter go under there?

·
Registered
470 Posts
A couple of things...

I was wondering why the modest 425 AWHP? Is that just a rock bottom estimate to be ultra conservative? I know guys have acquired a ton more with stock bottom ends, of course I don't know if they lasted or not???

Since you are in LA, Pheonix transmissions in Weatherford, TX is very well know for performance autos. I have one with about 2500 on the clock and it is fantastic. They have an application for one that is good for @650RWHP.

Best of luck, I look forward to the updates...

·
Registered
72 Posts
I agree with you on the "other" turbo people. Outside of cooler under hood temps, it almost defeats it's own purpose. You can wrap your turbo to keep the temp down and heat in. Where exactly are you located? You sound like a very interesting person.
for most everyone it is all about dollars:horsepower assuming the setup is reliable (which it is.) It's great to be interested in thermodynamic efficiency etc, but if you're going to parse words that much then why not buy a lighter, more aerodynamic, and more mod-friendly automobile? At the end of the day, my turbo can be on my rearview mirror if the car is as fast as I want it to be for the right price. The sts kits work well and are affordable. ./end

·
Registered
73 Posts
for the tranny i would go with either RPM or FLT. the fastest TBSS which runs low 10's has a rpm tranny on his rwd. he runs a forged ls2 with a BIG shot of nitrous, the tranny will be about 3g's with the hardened output shaft. so you should have no problem with that. as far as i know the rear end is pretty stout. alot of guys who are running boosted motors use about 5psi around on the streets and go up to 7-8 for fun at the track. most people will say any more than that on the stock motor you will run into problems. i am suprised that you are using sct instead of HP tuners or EFI live with this motor as you would have better adjustment of everything including the tranny. i know those 2 are more the the sct but not by much. good luck with your build i watched the last one on the I6 and was excited about that but got mad that there was very little for that motor and got the LS2 which is basically endless..

good luck,

Pete
i am running 10 psi w/meth and 50 shot of nitrous.still stock motor tune time performance did a great job on the tune and install.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Trav set up looks good i just joined today having just adding another Trailblazer SS to my car ( Well traded a 04 Zo6 and got some cash ) but having been with the Buick GN Set for a while something to consider is the Precision turbo Ball bearing units . I have a 6776 BB .63 housing on my Buick and the Ball bearing really makes a BIG differance. I had a 70GTQ w the .85 and it spooled like a fking dog .....this turbo same combo is like night and day and the car traps 130s with 25psi may be something to check out worth the extra $$$$s

21 - 33 of 33 Posts