Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Land vehicle Car Vehicle Transport Automotive exterior

Vehicle Car Trunk Vehicle door Auto part

Gas Trunk

Vehicle Car Trunk Motor vehicle Auto part

I have 6 hide-a-way strobes in turn signals and back-up lights, led grille, side, and dash lights, two side strobes, and a high-beam flasher.

Inside my vehicle I have a mobile VHF radio, collapsing cones, road flares, tow chain, tools, BLS EMT kit with O2, a 10 lb dry chemical extinguisher, a 5 lb class ABC foam extinguisher, a 400 watt inverter, and a floodlight.

·
Registered
432 Posts
>snip<
Inside my vehicle I have a mobile VHF radio, collapsing cones, road flares, tow chain, tools, BLS EMT kit with O2, a 10 lb dry chemical extinguisher, a 5 lb class ABC foam extinguisher, a 400 watt inverter, and a floodlight.

Nice pictures.

You mention a mobile VHF radio. Where and how do you mount the antenna? How did you route the antenna cable? Where is the radio mounted?

Thanks!

-- Dan Meyer :coffee

·
Registered
73 Posts
Nice pictures.

You mention a mobile VHF radio. Where and how do you mount the antenna? How did you route the antenna cable? Where is the radio mounted?

Thanks!

I put my 2-meter just above where my right knee is under the dash. The power and coax cables are run through the console, under the rug, and to the power stud under the rear seat by the drive data recorder. (This power lug is very powerful and reliable. I have all my accessories run from that power source.) The coax then travels under the trim at the foot of the back seat door exterior edge, up and under the plastic side panels, up to the rear hatch near the left hinge, and out to the exterior to the top cargo rack.
The antenna is mounted on a small, homemade bracket (1/8" steel bent slightly greater than 90 degrees [to level with roof line] with a hole drilled in it for the antenna. I rounded the corners of the bracket and painted it with a semi-gloss black, matching the plastic of the rack perfectly. Since the antenna base must be grounded, I grounded the bracket with 8 gauge wire. I'll post pics ASAP. I very happy with the results both look-wise and usefulness.:thumbsup:

nice set up, our trucks are great for everything
Thanks, yes they are!

·
Registered
432 Posts
>snip<
The antenna is mounted on a small, homemade bracket (1/8" steel bent slightly greater than 90 degrees [to level with roof line] with a hole drilled in it for the antenna. I rounded the corners of the bracket and painted it with a semi-gloss black, matching the plastic of the rack perfectly. Since the antenna base must be grounded, I grounded the bracket with 8 gauge wire. I'll post pics ASAP. I very happy with the results both look-wise and usefulness.:thumbsup:
Why not drill a hole in the roof? What did you bolt the bracket to? Where did you attach the ground wire to the truck? Finally, what model antenna are you using?

P.S. Is your avatar picture taken at the Moffat Tunnel?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Why not drill a hole in the roof? What did you bolt the bracket to? Where did you attach the ground wire to the truck? Finally, what model antenna are you using?

P.S. Is your avatar picture taken at the Moffat Tunnel?
I really didn't want to drill a 3/4" hole in the roof of my truck and them have to worry about the headliner for wire routing. I attached the bracket to the end of the roof rack with sheet metal screws and grounded that to a hinge bolt for the rear hatch. This has been doing great for me nearly 2 years now and 40K miles. I'm using a Motorola ¼ Wave VHF 162-174 Mhz Mobile Radio Antenna Kit ($15-20 on eBay), Motorola Model # HAD4009A.
Yes, that is the western end of Moffat Tunnel at Winter Park.

A. Skube

well it looks good!!!

nice setup you got.......got video?
I have 3d2 video from my phone but can't get the site to upload them. Any ideas?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow, Diablo03, you hurt my feelings! :cry: One of the guys built the cabinet for us to hold a set of turnout gear, SCBA, a large medic bag, the radio interoperability unit, a command board, file drawer, large fire extinguisher and assorted smaller stuff. I've seen a little nicer but they're typically >$3000 and the Trailblazer compatible models are pretty small. Most are made for Tahoes and Suburbans. It fits pretty tight, but without the cabinet it's worse. All in all we're pretty proud of the unit and it works well for first response or command functions.

Take care -

Bill

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.