Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about cutting out my muffler and puttin a straight pipe. Does anyone know how it would sound. I deleted to can and i love that sound but i want it a little louder. I cant afford a new exhaust so this has to be like a five dollar job or free. Or what if i just cut off everything after the muffler? Anyone have any info? By the way i have an 03 LTZ. Or if anyone has a bolt on exhaust sittin around that sounds good i could definatley use it. I appreciate any and all info on the subject.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured it would be too loud if i took the muffler out. and like i said anything i do has to be free or extremely cheap. money is really tight right now. what if i took the pipe after the muffler out? the one that goes over the rear axle.

· Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
377 Posts
Dude.... just save up for a proper exhaust shop to do the job... It's not like an exhaust is a necessity if there's nothing wrong with the stock one. And you will have clearance issues if you run pipes under the axle.

· Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,456 Posts
Dude.... just save up for a proper exhaust shop to do the job... It's not like an exhaust is a necessity if there's nothing wrong with the stock one. And you will have clearance issues if you run pipes under the axle.
:iagree: Save up for a decent exhaust or do what a coworker did with his caddie and drill holes in the muffler.:rolleyes:

· Registered
377 Posts
True, but I think he's just talking about chopping the pipe right off the muffler, rather than running a side-pipe. Any idling on something like that will bring CO straight into the cabin...

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Has anyone chopped everything after the muffler and just had the pipe come out the side right before the rear tire? If so, did it sound good? Like i said i like the sound of the res delete but its not loud enough.

· Registered
377 Posts
Honestly, the piping after the muffler isn't gonna be quieting down the sound a whole lot. My verdict stands that you're gonna be much happier if you save up 250 or so and have a muffler shop fab an exhaust for you with an aftermarket muffler. It'll look better, sound better, and you can always find a way to save up the money. Patience will net you better results than half-assing it.

/end rant

· Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
4 Posts
Give it a shot

On my I6 I took the flange off before the muffler and kept the rest just incase. As for a muffler I emailed walker exhaust and asked if they had a muffler I could use for a project for school. :p Within a week I got a free muffler in the mail luckily it fit right into the stock piping and then just spent $3 on a curved piece of pipe to have it dump down and away from the truck. Worth a shot only cost me $3 and still got the stock piping when im ready to do something more serious. :m2:

· Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_1ss
1,864 Posts
I would just remove the muffler and run a straight pipe, it would sound bad. If you're tight on money, why not go get a glasspack muffler (like Cherrybomb) from a parts store and put that in place of the muffler? That would get you the louder sound you're after, but it shouldn't sound like a Honda.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.