Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know how to explain this, and have certainly never seen this before. Came out to my truck after dinner tonight and my gal says look at this. On the back hatch area, there a was a big wad of stringy gray hair like material. I thought somebody had put something on my hatch, so I went to pull it off. I realized that the material was coming out of my tailpipe. I had to tug pretty hard and pulled it out of my tailpipe, and it was a huge wad of spun fiberglass, like the material they stuff mufflers with. I just kept coming out of the tailpipe.

My TBSS has 400 miles, and I think my muffler just blew its stuffing out of the exhaust. Sounds crazy, but it happened. I shined a flashlight up the tailpipe, and I don't see anything else up there, and it all looks perfectly clean with nothing broken etc. It would be nice to know if this has happened to anybody else, but I can't even imagine. Now if I could just get the fiberglass out of my hands. Been using tape all night pulling it out of my hands.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
nope..none that i heard of so far?

·
Registered
285 Posts
It might have come from the stock resonator since that is right near the exhaust outlet

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No real change in sound.

Don't have any pictures yet, but I did keep the material in case I have any further issues, and can show I'm not crazy. If I can get a couple photos, I'll attach later. Almost looks like the hair from a gray wig, but the fibers are really thin. The wad of fibers is probably enough to fill a freezer bag loosely. If it was from the muffler, I would think there would be more, but then again, that was what left hanging out of the tailpipe. I had not thought about the resonator, that is a good point, and probably more likely. I can still feel the fibers in my fingers and wrist a little today.

Oh well, just when you think you seen it all, your truck blows a big glob of hair out its Ahole. That is what happens when you have a build date of 10/31 Halloween. :laugh: Hey, maybe it's witches hair.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,359 Posts
Maybe you got the feline model TB and it is a HAIRBALL.:dielaugh:

·
Registered
2006 chevy
215 Posts
It might have come from the stock resonator since that is right near the exhaust outlet
I would be concerned of packing downstream of both your muffler and resonator. It could not hurt and only help to be sure the entire length from the muffler back is in fact not partially blocked. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
538 Posts
I'm sorry for your issues (believe me - I got some, just different), but even if that happened to me, I'd have to laugh.

That images strikes me as funny...

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
1 Posts
I had the same thing happen Thursday night. I pulled a 6 foot long wad of "hair" from the tailpipe. Was like hair from a wig. I was surprised it wasnt all black. It was grey, white and black. Very weird I say. My TB has 98k miles on it when this happened.

Bryan

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
160 Posts
I just today had the same issue.. (It really looked like gray hair. So I tried to remember if I hit any old people recently). I did not notice any tone change in the exaust yet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Same thing here. On a trip to the mountains first week in July. Loaded to the max behind the front seats. I noticed the "hair" comming out the exhaust.

I had 1250 miles then and 1650 now with no problems.

Hair Ball :dielaugh:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts