Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone installed a older carburated old style v8 engine in a trailblazer/ envoy.......Mines 4x4 and im willing to loose 4wd .....I have a v8 bellhousing coming.....the 4.2 is knocking after 111000 miles with regular service... love the vehicle not sold on 4.2.......wonder if its been done.....Thanks in advance ...Ken:tiphat

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
184 Posts
If your going to a swap....make it a turbo diesel! That would be awsome as well if you go with a cummins I6, it would be easier to match things up.:m2::thumbsup:

·
Banned
chevy
12,987 Posts
I haven't seen it done. If you have the cash you can of course do it. The problems I see are going to be getting all the electronics to be happy with whatever you install. These vehicles seem to be very dependant on all the electronics functioning together. You will have to find ways around that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im willing to leave all computers hooked up but tie into components rather than wire around them.....A/C......Power steering pressure switch....temp....Low oil sensor.....and more.........Just thinking there are ways around it all..........oil pan will be first challenge i think.......Any help or knowledge is greatly appreciated......Ken

·
Banned
chevy
12,987 Posts
They do make it with the 5.3, so 4x4 must still be possible. I think that would be the way I would go. Switch everything over to a 5.3 setup. I just have a feeling that it would be more cost effective to just trade in on a trailvoy with the v8.:cool:

·
Banned
2005 gmc envoy_sle
3,307 Posts
well if your going with a carb setup then the electronics are out the window cause you woulndt need them....i had a 86' camaro that the 2.8 blew up so i just dropped a 383 in it....long story short,, when we got done ripping all the wiring harnesses and computer out i had about a 15 pound pile of worthless wiring/computer on my garage floor.

·
Banned
2005 gmc envoy_sle
3,307 Posts
i solved my ignition problem by installing a MSD distributor,msd blaster 2 coil,msd 6aL spark box with adjustable rev limiter and 8mm plug wires......as for gauges i ran all white faced auto meter gauges,,oil pressure/gas gauge/fuel pressure/tach and speedo.....all in all the swap was very easy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No Florida has no state inspection........I dont want to rip all wires out....This transmission relies on alot of electronics to shift....I should be able to leave all factory gauges........just hoped someone had done this before......As for trading in for a V8 5.3 4x4.......mine wont be worth squat with noise in motor...:bonk:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,834 Posts
I believe the engine talks to the transmission. If you put a carb. engine even though you might have o2 sensors there will be a lot of conflict, injectors, throttle body controls, etc with the stock pcm talking to the tranny. If you must, you could swap engine and tranny.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
274 Posts
Has anyone installed a older carburated old style v8 engine in a trailblazer/ envoy.......Mines 4x4 and im willing to loose 4wd .....I have a v8 bellhousing coming.....the 4.2 is knocking after 111000 miles with regular service... love the vehicle not sold on 4.2.......wonder if its been done.....Thanks in advance ...Ken:tiphat
Did you try Chevron "Techron"? That might take care of the knocking. That stuff works wonders :m2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its a deeper knock than carbon......like cylinder dropped in block or serious rod.......after having to pull as much off to get engine ready to pull, just looking for another option, because I dont want to go thru this again......I have seen on the site others having same issues.....I have lost confidence in the 4.2 but really like the Envoy......It pulls my boats and 3 watercrafts great.:cool:

·
Banned
2005 gmc envoy_sle
3,307 Posts
I believe the engine talks to the transmission. If you put a carb. engine even though you might have o2 sensors there will be a lot of conflict, injectors, throttle body controls, etc with the stock pcm talking to the tranny. If you must, you could swap engine and tranny.
:iagree:,,you correct,,,youd be better off just getting a turbo400 from the junk yard...then while your there get the motor and tranny mounts.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
1,126 Posts
A guy on another site dropped a 413 stroker motor in his std. TB. Had a vid of it too. Don't know what was involved though, and can't seem to find it again. :duh:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.