Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When getting the donor Envoy XL for my I6 to V8 swap, I towed the Envoy with my SWB 4.2 Envoy about 2-1/2 hours from Columbus to Cleveland. I used roughly a 3,500 lb tandem axle heavy equipment trailer to do so, so easily over 8,000 lb. My Envoy is lifted and has z71 springs in the rear and a 4.11 TBSS rear axle, so it helped with heavy tongue weight and I have a brake controller and trans cooler. Was it advisable, probably not, but it pulled pretty good for a smallish vehicle with a 6 cylinder. I kept it out of OD the entire time and got around 13-14 mpg.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
31 Posts
towed an empty 7x14 trailer, around 1800kgs, for 6 hrs. Wife was driving, I was in pickup, we didn't know about the no-OD thing, but it made it home. Changed tranny and rear diff fluid shortly thereafter :)

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
71 Posts
I just picked up my V8 TB, I have yet to tow, but I can't wait. My S10 would tow great from 0 mph to 30 mph, then it was downhill fast. This TB is a beast though, I'm expecting amazing towing and amazing stopping. My boat with it's trailer only weigh 1900 pounds so that should be nothing. I have a utility trailer thats about 700 pounds empty. I'll be using that to move my snow blower during the winter, and some scrap metal hopefully soon. None of that will be very heavy though. I have had 2800 lbs of bricks in that trailer before, towing with the S10. That was hairy. And I've had loads of dirt in there too. But with the towing capacity of this TB, I might have to get a bigger trailer.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The V8 will definitely tow better than the I6. The six was on the floor towing the Envoy XL to get her going.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
55 Posts
:weird:Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I can't start a new thread myself until I've had 5 posts (what the heck kind of rule is that)??

Anyway, I bought an 04 SLT Envoy to tow our TT. Is there a wire harness up under the dash somewhere to use to hook directily into a brake controller? Looked but couldn't find anything. It supposedly has a tow package.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
26 Posts
Increasing Towing Capacity

You probably know this, but you can increase the capacity with weight distribution hitch and by decreasing the size of your tires. There is a tire calculator online to calculate what size you need. The downsize is your mileage will suffer and your speedo won't register correctly. By doing either or both you can theoretically get up to 7000 + or -. Only problem is the hitch itself might not handle it.

·
Registered
2009 gmc envoy_slt
153 Posts
I tow a 4000 lb Four Winns on a dual axle trailer with surge brakes. It generally tows just fine but I avoid step hills. I also installed an auxiliary tranny cooler, monitor the temp in a Scan Gauge and drive in 3rd. If I shift to Drive, the tranny temps do go up so I bite the bullet on fuel mileage.
I weighed the boat, and the weight on each vehicle axle with and with out the trailer attached on a highway scale.
All in all I was generally safe and legal but it was very close to a number of limits including axle load and tongue load. Obviously if the Envoy was loaded up, I'd probably be over on axle loading. Interesting that the salesman said there would be no issues towing my boat since the tow rating of the Envoy was 5200 lbs - so 1200 lbs to spare. Liar!

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
331 Posts
:weird:Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I can't start a new thread myself until I've had 5 posts (what the heck kind of rule is that)??

Anyway, I bought an 04 SLT Envoy to tow our TT. Is there a wire harness up under the dash somewhere to use to hook directily into a brake controller? Looked but couldn't find anything. It supposedly has a tow package.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsP-HDZJIGA

-hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts