Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey. So I'm just about ready to suck it up and pay the 700 bucks or whatever to do this fan clutch. Last night I went to a ball game about 15 miles away. It was about 95 out, and I had the AC running. The clutch never kicked on. When I left the game 4 hours later, The car had cooled to about 160 degrees, the outside temp was about 75-80. I went down the road about a quarter mile, and then it kicked on. It still was on this morning after the engine had cooled all night.

My questions:

1. At what point will a "good" fan clutch let go and let the fan freewheel? In other words, how long should it take to let go? Is it electronically controlled, or mechanically?

2. Is there any special tricks I can try to get it to let go? I think I heard it mentioned in here before that if the car stays revved above 2000 RPMs then it would release?

3. How easy is it to do the replacement myself?

4. How much will I lose on my MPG by not replacing it?

Any info would be fantastic.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
read this.... a little info...
http://www.norcal-cobras.com/GTM/gm-tech-link/7_02_e.pdf

1. article says 2 minutes.
2. I dont know that answer.
3. some people have done it and complained theyd never do it again- others dont mind the work.
4.I think youll take a hit on MPG if it gets stuck on FULL on. youll know its on full cause youll sound like a semi in 1st gear... and you may feel a slight loss of power... but not sure anyone has documented how much gas loss....

best advice is- go on ebay- buy yourself the most recent part #... at the cheapest price- preferrably OEM. Once you get it- take it to dealer or a mechanic- have it replaced. and if you want- have the software update done.
im sure youll save a nice chunk by buying it yourself on ebay vs buying it at dealer

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
i dont think so-
someone had posted that here- and I saved it. I reposted.
I used to be able to read the techlink articles- for some reason....
now I cant access them anymore.
But now I found that the local ACDELCO parts store has the Tech connect newsletter out on the counter-free for the taking. im gonna stop by every now and then....
the may/june issue talks about the new tire pressure monitors... neat find considering that our new impala has the ones the article talks about.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,226 Posts
I used to be able to read the techlink articles- for some reason....
now I cant access them anymore.
GM decided late 2005, starting Jan 2006, to block Techlink from public view. Only GM dealers with "Dealerworld" access can get it online. Was hoping there was a new way around that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts