Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not on the Monroe web site yet, but available from an Ebay merchant - Monroe #171341 Quick Strut. $160 each plus shipping.

For the driveway mechanic who can change shocks but doesn't want to compress springs and do the dangerous parts. Includes new spring, perch, and everything but the lower mounting yoke.

I can't use them because I'm looking for a higher spring rate, and I've contacted the vendor to see what they can do with Monroe Tech Support. I also asked them to get the spec of what this product uses for a standard spring rate, since (as we know) GM used over a dozen different springs in the factory to fine tune the suspension depending on the number of options, in the vehicle.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xl
1,356 Posts
interesting .. especially since i am coming up on 80k on the clock and was thinking new shocks / springs ..

Good find ...:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,236 Posts
Just spend the $39 for the Harbor Freight spring compressor tool and do your own at home.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=43753

My front springs took a grand total of 3 minutes to swap springs. I did use a standard 1/2 drive air impact gun (not a big pro model) which sped up the job somewhat, but even with a ratchet wrench it still would have taken less than 5 minutes a side. My son and I finished the entire job (all 4 shocks, and front brake rotors) in exactly an hour from pulling in the shop to driving out.

That tool made the job silly easy. I had more problems getting the shock out of the hole on the car than doing the springs.

I'd bet that if someone picked up one of those tools, they could probably pay it off by renting it to other TrailVoy members for $5 a shot... :D

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
476 Posts
- Monroe #171341 Quick Strut. $160 each plus shipping. !!!!!

For the driveway mechanic who can change shocks but doesn't want to compress springs and do the dangerous parts.
You are joking, right?

Just spend the $39 for the Harbor Freight spring compressor tool and do your own at home.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=43753

I had more problems getting the shock out of the hole on the car than doing the springs.
:iagree:

Roadie,
That is an awful premium to pay because someone does not want to use a spring compressor. I am surprised you would recommend such a choice. Couldn't an independant mechanic instal two new shocks (parts and labor) for $320 and save us from getting our hands dirty?

Many things we do to our trucks involves some personal risk. For example: Changing a dead battery. I could drop the battery on my foot or I could splash sulfuric acid on myself or a stray spark could explode the battery but it is such a simple job to do... Even de-badgeing I could burn myself with the hairdryer.

When I changed my front shocks I used the auto parts store loaner/ free rental tool -- pieces of thread-all w/ hooks for each end and a nut to tighten -- that is even riskier than the tool glfredrick mentions. Yes, I had to release pressure and re-align the compressor more than once to keep them from moving on the springs. I even thought to myself "Which way will parts fly if this lets loose?" and kept the most likely path aimed away from my head. Neverless, because I took care not to drop or jolt the compressed springs I lived to tell the tale! Am I naturally smarter than everyone here? NO. Was I just lucky? Maybe. Is the job not as dangerous as people make it out to be? Most likely.

I concede that forum members who do not know which end of a screwdriver you hit with a hammer should not make this their first DIY job and members who do not know we have front shock absorbers instead of struts should work under supervision. IMO the rest of us who want to save money and/ or learn by doing should not be encouraged to side step use of a spring compressor. :m2:

Or am I missing the whole point of this thread?

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am surprised you would recommend such a choice.
Not certain that posting its availability is a recommendation, but you have to admit there are some members who seem to have more money than brains or mechanical skill. :D

In any event, I was very pleased to see more aftermarket products for the platform, so we don't always have to pay GM prices in case we need new springs, for instance. Somebody like me who has overcompressed their springs and is now sagging, has an option. More freedom of choice is hardly ever a bad thing, even if it's not for the enthusiasts like us.

My options were going to be to find stiffer OEM springs, or spend $1000-1200 on Tacoma coilovers like AlekG and Oregtrailblaz did. With these Quick Struts, even at $320 a pair plus shipping, it's a way to get Monroe's spring perches, which (I HOPE) will fit other Monroe springs such as the ones they put on Tahoe Quick Struts. Then I could upgrade the springs, even if it cost $200 for the coils, and $400 for the Quick Struts, and that compares favorably to $1200 plus some custom machining to get Tacoma coilovers in there.

Of course, the Monroes aren't as strong. There's always compromises.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ss_3ss
3,118 Posts
i saw that the other day when i was searching for a pair of assemblys..
Nice simple install idea..but stock was my thoughts...

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
476 Posts
Roadie,
I did miss the point of this thread!
but you have to admit there are some members who seem to have more money than brains or mechanical skill. :D
:iagree:Or we could be polite and say there taste, spare time, and priorities are different than ours.

I was very pleased to see more aftermarket products for the platform, so we don't always have to pay GM prices... More freedom of choice is hardly ever a bad thing.
:iagree::iagree::iagree:

With these Quick Struts... it's a way to get Monroe's spring perches, which (I HOPE) will fit other Monroe springs such as the ones they put on Tahoe Quick Struts. Then I could upgrade the springs.... and that compares favorably to $1200 plus some custom machining to get Tacoma coilovers in there.
It never entered my mind to purchase the assembly only because you wanted some of its components.

As usual, you were right.:hail: Perhaps in the future I should PM you and get the annoteted version w/ footnotes and explinations before I reply for all to see.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It never entered my mind to purchase the assembly only because you wanted some of its components.
I'm guessing you aren't married?

:dielaugh: :dielaugh: :dielaugh: :dielaugh:

You walked into that one, good buddy! :D :rotfl:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
899 Posts
Roadie,

Don't we ALL just want to use SOME of the components in EVERYTHING ?

:dielaugh:

I WOULD love to use some componnents of the neighbours, but my last purchase came with a warning stating such actions would end in me probably loosing my own components and ability to ever have a full wallet afterwords...

But hey to each his own

:bonk:

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali_xl
6 Posts
Saw those too and wondered

Is there any place to buy replacement springs by themselves? I have not seen any on the internet. Did I miss something in any other posting about front replacement springs? I am at about 65k right now and going to do a lift soon so figured I might as well just put new springs on when I do that to save the hassle later on. The cost isn't that big of an issue. Are these Monroe struts comparable to the Bilstien HD units?

Thanks

·
Registered
899 Posts
Is there any place to buy replacement springs by themselves? I have not seen any on the internet. Did I miss something in any other posting about front replacement springs? I am at about 65k right now and going to do a lift soon so figured I might as well just put new springs on when I do that to save the hassle later on. The cost isn't that big of an issue. Are these Monroe struts comparable to the Bilstien HD units?

Thanks
in my own opinion, i am not talking for everyone here, the day monroe will do a good product will be the day i will buy a kia, so my guess is that the bilsteins are way more better, buy this is my opinion...

Why i don't like monroe ? if it were'n for the lifetime warranty i had on them when i purchased a full set for the stratus i had, i'd be out of money every 3 months, i kept on replacing the front ones all the time as they were always leaking...

was i just unlucky ? maybe but i've heard some other comlaints also, i put them in the same bunch as the gabriels...

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

Thanks
I'd start by checking out the catalogs of the circle track sport. They have a WIDE range of available coil springs in various sizes, weights, etc.

Here's two links - there are others:
http://www.daymotorsports.com/shop/C106

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/eibac...=Suspension&category|cat_154|731=Coil+Springs

Additionally, for custom suspension mods, like lifted or lowered TrailVoy vehicles, there is no rule that says that you MUST continue to use the stock coil-over setup. Check out the circle track offerings. You could probably build a custom setup that would do almost anything you desire.

There is no "rocket science" in coil springs. Just find one that is the right diameter and the right spring weight, and you are good to go. You could even have one custom wound if that is what you needed. Any major spring manufacturer could do that for you. You would need to know the desired weight range of the springs, wire diameter (controls the weight range) and both free length and compressed length, plus the style ends, ours uses a pig tail on one end, and simply terminates the coil on the other.

Here's one place that will make a pair of springs:
http://www.springworks.com/

Here's a coil spring blog that I found that might help:
http://www.springworks.com/wordpress/?p=17

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
in my own opinion, i am not talking for everyone here, the day monroe will do a good product will be the day i will buy a kia, so my guess is that the bilsteins are way more better, buy this is my opinion...

Why i don't like monroe ? if it were'n for the lifetime warranty i had on them when i purchased a full set for the stratus i had, i'd be out of money every 3 months, i kept on replacing the front ones all the time as they were always leaking...

was i just unlucky ? maybe but i've heard some other comlaints also, i put them in the same bunch as the gabriels...
There is a really good chance that Monroe is making almost any other shock that you might consider, except Bilstein. Monroe makes BDS, Pro Comp, Rancho, and a host of other store-branded shocks.

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_denali_xl
6 Posts
Thanks for all the useful info

I never knew that Monroe was "white labeling" for all these other manufacturers. That makes my decision easy! Where can I find the specs for my front springs to get a starting point to look at these custom spring companies. I have an 06 Denali XL V8.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Just remember, though Monroe is white labeling a lot of shocks, they may have specific designed valving, etc., that makes them premium shocks.

·
Registered
899 Posts
There is a really good chance that Monroe is making almost any other shock that you might consider, except Bilstein. Monroe makes BDS, Pro Comp, Rancho, and a host of other store-branded shocks.
So if i understand you correctly all the other good shocks are not made by monroe ?

lol

·
Registered
899 Posts
Just remember, though Monroe is white labeling a lot of shocks, they may have specific designed valving, etc., that makes them premium shocks.
So if i get you right, instead of failing after 20k the premium fails a 25k ?

Ok Ok Ok

i'm just in one of those moods today

·
Registered
2006 chevy
2,079 Posts
The quick struts are a great options.. Cause you get new Upper mounts.. That can and will wear out and begin to make lovely noises over bumps.

I know in the W-body world the upper mounts are $60.00 each..

IMHO, I would rather pay for a nice new complete setup then run around with some questionable upper mounts.. Sorry The extra money is worth my families life..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts